Which Leeds station..

18B

It's  City station. The giveaway is the shape of the roof, made up of straight segments ( there's a photo showing it well in the station's Wikipedia article, in the section headed "1938 rebuilding"). Leeds Central, which was still open when your photo was taken (closed in 1967), had a series of pretty modest pitched roofs over the platforms.

Jim

• Agree 2

Thank you for everyone's help, I've written the following caption to go with the pic..... 

If the first decade of BR can be summed up as more of the same, the second was one of complete change. One aspect BR was finally getting to grips with was the duplication of major stations in large cities. Leeds for example had a duplication of major stations and bringing the services together to one combined station gave a much-improved passenger experience. Seen here is one of the elegant Class 123 Transpenine units at Leeds City station, with City House being built in the background. Remodelling of the routes around Leeds meant services from Leeds Central could be diverted into the Leeds City allowing Central to be closed from Monday 1 May 1967 and later demolished. At the time Leeds’ City station rebuilding it was served by some 500 trains on a typical day, with 2.75 million passenger journeys a year and after the works Leeds City station lost it suffix to simply become Leeds. It now sees over 30M passenger per annum making it the UK’s 13th busiest station. SLSL/LANCE KING COLLECTION

As a user of Leeds City from the early 1970's I would dispute it being a 'much improved' passenger service - cleaner yes - but the underpass was grim and getting frozen on Platform 12 waiting for the Nightrider was grim. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Bomag said:

As a user of Leeds City from the early 1970's I would dispute it being a 'much improved' passenger service - cleaner yes - but the underpass was grim and getting frozen on Platform 12 waiting for the Nightrider was grim. 

I agree.

But we did have locos in & out in those days.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, keefer said:

It's a class 124 Trans-Pennine unit.

The cl.123 were the Inter-City units with end gangways.

Thanks for giving it its proper….but retrospectively applied…..classification. In 1961 when first introduced they were deemed to be the cutting edge in dmu UK technology. One of my more unusual spotting trips that year was from Wolverhampton High Level ( (MR) …..In those days,Kings were still working from the WR Low Level….to Manchester Piccadilly aka London Road via Class 40 to Crewe and 25Kv ac onwards to Manchester. A brisk long walk across the city brought me to Victoria/Exchange to catch the TP to Leeds via Huddersfield. The only thing I can remember is that it was cramped and the ride wasn’t particularly special.  Leeds City was a fascinating place then,it being in the transition period between steam and diesel with a wide variety of motive power and dmu to be seen. Leeds Central was not too far….quite small as I recall with platforms a little too short….and the first Deltics were to be seen. The station was run down and shabby,yet it still offered the quickest route to London and The Queen of Scots still ran,albeit EE type 4 ( Class 40 ) hauled.

The return journey was interesting as it involved dmu for the entire journey. First to Huddersfield. Change there for Stalybridge,then change the for the short lap to Stockport. The last leg was on a Birmingham RC&W 3 car dmu ( Later Class 104) on a Manchester- New Street working  via Stoke and Stafford.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Thanks for giving it its proper….but retrospectively applied…..classification. In 1961 when first introduced they were deemed to be the cutting edge in dmu UK technology. One of my more unusual spotting trips that year was from Wolverhampton High Level ( (MR) …..In those days,Kings were still working from the WR Low Level….to Manchester Piccadilly aka London Road via Class 40 to Crewe and 25Kv ac onwards to Manchester. A brisk long walk across the city brought me to Victoria/Exchange to catch the TP to Leeds via Huddersfield. The only thing I can remember is that it was cramped and the ride wasn’t particularly special.  Leeds City was a fascinating place then,it being in the transition period between steam and diesel with a wide variety of motive power and dmu to be seen. Leeds Central was not too far….quite small as I recall with platforms a little too short….and the first Deltics were to be seen. The station was run down and shabby,yet it still offered the quickest route to London and The Queen of Scots still ran,albeit EE type 4 ( Class 40 ) hauled.

The return journey was interesting as it involved dmu for the entire journey. First to Huddersfield. Change there for Stalybridge,then change the for the short lap to Stockport. The last leg was on a Birmingham RC&W 3 car dmu ( Later Class 104) on a Manchester- New Street working  via Stoke and Stafford.

The ride on the TransPennie sets probably depended on which vehicle you travelled in so if you had one with engines under the floor it would perhaps have been different from the unpowered trailers?   I didn't find them too bad because the unpowered vehicles were basically a Mk1 gangwayed coach formed into a DMU set although using the Swindon designed version of the bogie which didn't seem to suit the route.  The final Swindon Inter-City sets with the gangwayed outer ends were much smoother riding (possibly helped by the high standard of WR track mainrtenance in thise days because they were in BR bogies although they were mechanically unreliable.  However I commuted on them for well over a year and never suffered a delay due to a failure of the train.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1