Metcalfe PO332 Engine Shed - Blank Interior Wall Problem

I'm new to the forum, and to model railways and have started on my first layout at the age of 66. While I'm waiting for a purpose built 8x4ft baseboard to arrive, I've been buying track, locos and other stuff including 3 Metcalfe card kits. 

The first one (stone signal box) went well, and so I started to build the single track engine shed with workshop (PO332) yesterday. I was fairly sure that I followed the (excellent) instructions to the letter, but have found that the interior far wall of the shed and back on the interior door are not printed, and look like the back of a cornflake packet (see photos below).

As this will be the wall most easily seen as the loco approaches, I'm convinced that it was not intended to be that way. I've gone back over the instructions, but can't see my mistake. Can anyone who has made this kit offer a suggestion as to where I went wrong, please?

Stephen

20211015_171400.jpg

20211015_171420.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Easy fix with brickpaper. Not done the kit but have you put the wall with the door in it in upside down (as per your 2nd photo)/reversed so to speak? The printed side is facing other plain walls as if that should be the plain side with the printed wall facing as the other side.

Edited by john new

Assuming you are where you are with construction and it won't be easy to dismantle and re-do, I'd have thought it to be an easy fix either with some paint or suitable brick paper (available cheaply or even free to download and print at home).

Thanks @grahame , I'll look for the brick paper. @john new I did wonder if I had had put it on the wrong way round. The instructions says to stick that wall and the adjoining (workshop wall back to back, and that wouldn't be possible (I think) any other way, to match up the door with the frame. I may (well) have got it wrong! :) 

1 hour ago, latestarter said:

@brossardThank you John, that's very helpful. I've been on the Corry set too! :)

I did the Granada Studios thing when I had a spare weekend ages ago.  Quite interesting to see how they did things.

I have built a load of structures and really like doing that.  I started decades ago building Metcalfe and Superquik and now I have moved on to Scalescenes (and Lcut laser kits).

John

@latestarter Looking at figure 9 of the instructions, I think as pointed out in the second post, the printed wall should be seen from inside the shed, and the unprinted side should face the office. I think you have installed the wall the wrong way round.  As others have said, you can remedy with some stone paper. Matching stone is in the Metcalfe range. M0057.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mike Harvey said:

@latestarter Looking at figure 9 of the instructions, I think as pointed out in the second post, the printed wall should be seen from inside the shed, and the unprinted side should face the office. I think you have installed the wall the wrong way round.  As others have said, you can remedy with some stone paper. Matching stone is in the Metcalfe range. M0057.

Thanks very much for the information @Mike Harvey. I'm sure I got it the wrong way around; the first kit I did (a signal box) was near-perfect - but I knew it was going too well! Ironically, even though I'm a professional photographer, my colour printer is in mothballs - and I only have a working B/W laser printer, so I can't get the printable sheets others have mentioned. But, I'll see if I can order the Metcalfe sheet. :)

• Like 1

UPDATE: I contacted Nick Metcalfe, who explained that although I had assembled the 3 sections of the rear wall correctly, I had fitted it to the building the wrong way around.

The stone wall with the plain card fixed to it with the door should be facing outwards and the workshop roof then sits on top of the plain card.

He hoped that I would be able to correct it, but I said I was stuck with it - as I had used Rocket Glue.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...