NMRA British Region Convention 2021.

GW Jim

• RMweb Premium

I would like to remind all RMwebers of the upcoming NMRA British Region Convention to be held in Derby.

2021 Grand Junction Convention    All roads lead to Derby.

The 2021 75th+1 Grand Junction Convention will be at Derby on October 22nd to 24th.

Black Diamonds invite you to join us at the Derby Conference Centre in October 2021 for the NMRABR 75th+1 anniversary 2020 convention.

Dates are October 22nd to 24th.

Open to non-members Saturday 10.30 to 4.30.

There will be traders, layouts, freemo area, clinics, bring & buy tables, competitions, AP area and the AGM for NMRA British Region Members.

This info can also be seen at https://www.black-diamonds.org.uk/convention/

James.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, GW Jim said:

I would like to remind all RMwebers of the upcoming NMRA British Region Convention to be held in Derby.

2021 Grand Junction Convention    All roads lead to Derby.

The 2021 75th+1 Grand Junction Convention will be at Derby on October 22nd to 24th.

Black Diamonds invite you to join us at the Derby Conference Centre in October 2021 for the NMRABR 75th+1 anniversary 2020 convention.

Dates are October 22nd to 24th.

Open to non-members Saturday 10.30 to 4.30.

There will be traders, layouts, freemo area, clinics, bring & buy tables, competitions, AP area and the AGM for NMRA British Region Members.

This info can also be seen at https://www.black-diamonds.org.uk/convention/

James.

Hi James, I hope it goes really well for everyone next weekend.  I’d have really liked to come along to the non-members’ day on Saturday, not least because the location is just a stone’s throw from where I lodged as an apprentice in the late 1980s at the YMCA, also on London Road in Alvaston (I’m fairly sure at least one other RMweb member was resident there too, though I doubt I’d be remembered now - particularly as I didn’t work for the railways).  As it is I’m not able to make it, but have a great time, Keith.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Keith.

Thank you, one day, perhaps our tracks will cross!!! Meanwhile if any RMwebers plan to attend the Convention weekend please pop over to the NMRA stand, which I will be helping to man and say ‘hello’. It is nice to put faces to names!!!!

Something for your diary, the 2022 NMRABR Convention is planned to be held in Crewe. In your own backyard?

The Winter Meet is in the planning stage but may be held back at Benson in 2022. Will update as this is firmed up!! Also in planning for 2022 are meets in Burton-on-Trent and, I believe Margate. Again will post updates when things are sorted.

James.

• Informative/Useful 3

I'm a lapse member, mainly to do with my location, West Cumbria, my division was based in Crewe a 350 mile round trip, though there is a group in the North east 220 mile round trip, hence i never got to any meets.

Always thought it was a Southern based organisation, i didn't really benefit  from being a member, was ask a few time to become a member again (mainly at exhibition) but when i asked the question about the North /South divide, got the same answer, not the NRMA fault just the way it is, i feel sorry for any of the Scottish groups, wanting to go to the convention, it will be 600 mile round trip, if not more.

I'll still fly the flag for American modelling and keep my fingers crossed there's a meet/convention a bit further North so i could attend or even  display my layouts.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Long Island Jack.

I understand your comments and concerns.

However it should be noted that the NMRA British Region is not responsible for arranging Meets and Conventions, this honour is left to the Divisions within the British Region to set up and run their own events. The Black Diamond Division has arranged this year’s Convention in Derby. Gordy and his team were reasonable for a very successful Convention in Aberdeen a few years back.

There is help and support on tap from the BoD and a short email to Gordy Robinson outlining your thoughts may well start the train on its tracks! Perhaps re-railing now and starting a new Sub- division around your neck of the woods, (and there are a few other Members around there also), may result in the rest of us having to travel up you for a new meet?

At £29.00 per year which gives you worldwide membership of the NMRA and access to the British Region website including new, current and past copies of our house magazine, The Roundhouse, plus a host of other useful information, some consider excellent value for money. If you would like me to mail a few back copies of Roundhouse to you please pm me with your address.

Look forward to seeing you there z4driver, please pop over to say hello.

James.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the offer, of the mag and membership, but no thanks.

Surely it's up to the members if they want a meet somewhere up North, not an ex member, many moons ago there was talk of trying to do a meet somewhere in the Carlisle area, so the Northern England and Mid Scotland member could get together, but nothing came of it.

Will keep my eye's open to see if it ever happens, but i won't be holding my breath.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

just wanted to say how much I enjoyed my visit to the NMRA BR Convention in Derby on Saturday. Everyone was very friendly and there were lots of things to see and bargains to be had between the bring and buy and the traders. I even got a coffee from the dispensers in the lounge area for a suggested donation of £1 - cant beat that!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree. I really enjoued my day visit. First time in about 19 years I've visited the convention. I'm hoping to persuade the wife to go for the weekend next year. Do we know where it will be?

Lee

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, z4driver said:

I agree. I really enjoued my day visit. First time in about 19 years I've visited the convention. I'm hoping to persuade the wife to go for the weekend next year. Do we know where it will be?

Lee

Crewe has been mentioned but other than that I know nothing else

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

NMRA BR Annual Convention 4th-6th November 2022

Crewe Heritage Centre, Crewe.

There are some interesting layout visits planned including one to an steam era O Gauge North West area layout, need to be first in the queue for this one!!!!

Wishing you and your family good health and happiness playing trains.

James.

Edited by GW Jim
reviewed date
  • Like 1

Oh yes NMRA Derby, James.  Didn't need to take my On3 tray to Winchester then.  No sweat, I don't immediately know anyone else down here in On3, Vic Stone?  Next year we're weeks apart - Winchester is to be confirmed at Sat Oct 22nd 

http://www.winchesterogaugemeet.co.uk/

Jason 

Edited by jasond
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jason.

I trust you sold lots and lots of O Scale stuff whilst at Winchester? It would be wonderful to see you at the Crewe Convention next year with your stand or even as a visitor, as we DO allow non Members who are interested in US railway modelling to attend:angel:

It was such a shame there were 3, yes 3 events on over the same weekend as Derby that had US modelling interest in them. Think some of this can be put down to Covid and the back log of shows!

Take care out there, its not over yet!!!

James

• Agree 1

Hi James

I'm at the frustrating cross-over age between 'doing something useful' for my hobby and 'hoping somebody's doing something useful for my hobby'.  Even for 2-rail, Nth American O-scale in the UK there's no easy way to talk to all 53 of the followers ... what's that?  Who shouted "c'mon Jason, I heard there's 94 of us...!" 

Winchester's great 'cos it's only just over an hour from me, but if I tell everyone that I'd like to do Crewe they'll be nagging me and then all that pressure to do something useful for the hobby instead of building the D&H on boards I can bring in the house in the winter ahem..., enough of dreaming.

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 1

At Crewe??  Hahahahahaha that's a gohohohood one Jamesssssseseseheehee....  Er ... I just got presented with my 6th grandkid.  Umm - I'm 74.  Oh,that's it: like me, my old Altea doesn't deserve any more hard work. 

Hey, I do know someone in Cheshire who's building a state of the art O-scale layout: DCC, sound, hmmm....

Jason

• Funny 2

I might be taking my Dr Who Biscuit Tin of O-scale stuff to Benson (NMRABR Sunday 30 Jan 22) if I can get Keith W one of those Dr Who Rulers for the O-scale layout on offer (no, not mine, that's still just sketched in pencil).  Yes, Dr Who brand, you know like his/her(!) phone box everything's much bigger when you get inside.

Jason

Edited by jasond
Date correction

• RMweb Premium

Jason.

Would be wonderful to see you there with your stuff. The last 'Not Benson' held at the Belfry Hotel , Oxfordshire had a surprising amount of O Scale stuff for sale on the 'used/bring & buy' stalls.

James.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I went to the Black Diamonds NMRA event at Derby, interesting but no 0 scale other than 0n3 and I don’t think the NMRA has much to offer me as a member, sorry.

Dava

• Agree 1