New starter looking for help

davidparker172

On 17/10/2021 at 16:39, davidparker172 said:

I have randomly come across a plan that kind of looks similar to the idea I am thinking about. Just a little larger.

What are peoples opinions of this??

4CF0F7B8-81A3-45F6-9054-18498E4629FD.jpeg

I really like that plan, unfortunately downsized to your room few RTR steam outline locos will be able to haul reasonable size trains up those gradients.   Its also for right hand running where we in the UK run on the left.  What I really like is the staging, lots of room  for lots of trains, ideal for DCC.    It is the only one of your plans with anything like enough storage, you should be able to get at least 8 trains in there if not more, four each direction.  You can almost never have enough storage.  An express and a local passenger in each direction and a Mineral Empties one way and fulls the other with a pick up and an express freight would provide a reasonable service.  Mix and match a bit. Run both expresses the same way to represent a train running in two portions. Expresses and express freights probably wouldn't call at your station but locals would.  You can have a lot of fun with a continuous run but if there is no where to store spare trains running the same two gets mighty boring.   Code 100 track makes sense in that you can mix and match set track curves for tight curves hidden from view with streamline points. most RTR gets round 3rd radius  most kit built, comet chassis etc, needs more like 30" radius

Set track points are nasty derailment inducers and I would avoid them for all but micro layouts. 

The great thing about continuous runs is you can set trains going and get on with doing something else while enjoying the occasional glance at the trains.  You can also run in new or overhauled locos by letting them run.

Edited by DCB

• RMweb Premium

Moving the points is obviously possible, but I'm away from my planning software and generally off-line until the weekend.  Note that that junction is non-prototypical so better hidden, but I'll see what I can do.

From the storage sidings on the right, you need to be able to get trains running clockwise on the outer circuit, which means the loco will be up against the buffers in the sidings.  So you reverse the train out of the sidings, stop it on the hidden single track at the top, then run it forwards out of the tunnel on the "branch line", over the bridge or whatever  which is the lift out section / duck under on the right and onto the outer main line via the single slip.  To get back to the sidings in due course, after as many circuits as you like, it just takes a left at "cupboard junction".

For a train running anti-clockwise on the inner circuit, the brake van will be against the buffers, so the train just runs forward from the sidings and gets onto the inner main line via the crossover at "cupboard junction".  It gets back by taking the branch line as it leaves the station, over the single slip, stopping on the hidden single track at the top, and reversing back into the siding.

A bit complicated, but it means that whenever you can see a train, it's doing what it ought to be doing, on the correct track .....  

Obviously multiple unit and/or push-pull trains can run both ways in a single session, otherwise you're limited by where the loco sits to a train going one way or the other until you move over to the sidings and have a fiddle (!)

Hope this helps - until Friday!

Chris

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Some well thought through points there, Chimer….. in both senses of the word “points”.  Only downside for me would be the need to physically move oneself to and from the FY from what I guess would be the natural operating position in the centre. If extra roads could be squeezed in, that would maybe limit the frequency of moving to and fro.

Would there be any value/space in having a hidden passing loop on that long approach to the FY?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Has anyone actually checked the required gradients? Basically as per plan, there is a long side and a short side. But even on the short side, there must be more than 6M of track available. So thats less than 1.5% average. If it was set as designed, you would have an Ahearn diesel Consist pulling a long freight and it would eat that for breakfast I understand - not personal experience.

However I can understand that one might not want to have the main focus of the layout which I would take to be the grain elevator section, on much of a slope. The other point is that the storage sidings would be on the opposite gradient, which would definitely make construction more of a challenge. But why dismiss it out of hand?

• RMweb Gold

If you intended to do any shunting in the station you'd want it to be level. That limits the length of track available for gradients. And the lifting gate would also need to be level. I assumed that the storage loops would also be level but since they are completely inaccessible I guess you'd never disconnect a loco from any vehicles stood in there so maybe gradients wouldn't be a problem - in which case yes, it might be do-able in Dave's space.

There are practical problems of cleaning the track and dealing with derailments in these hidden storage loops, though, and they don't simulate "the rest of the world" very well. All you can do is drive trains in, stack them up and drive them out again, unchanged, still travelling in the same direction.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

On 17/10/2021 at 13:31, Harlequin said:

Thanks. I see the problem with the cupboard now - it's not so much the cupboard as the stairs themselves getting in the way!

If the shelf in the photo is baseboard level the tracks through the cupboard look to be above the stairs! If you go down below the stairs the layout is going to be very low.

9 hours ago, Chimer said:

Moving the points is obviously possible, but I'm away from my planning software and generally off-line until the weekend.  Note that that junction is non-prototypical so better hidden, but I'll see what I can do.

From the storage sidings on the right, you need to be able to get trains running clockwise on the outer circuit, which means the loco will be up against the buffers in the sidings.  So you reverse the train out of the sidings, stop it on the hidden single track at the top, then run it forwards out of the tunnel on the "branch line", over the bridge or whatever  which is the lift out section / duck under on the right and onto the outer main line via the single slip.  To get back to the sidings in due course, after as many circuits as you like, it just takes a left at "cupboard junction".

For a train running anti-clockwise on the inner circuit, the brake van will be against the buffers, so the train just runs forward from the sidings and gets onto the inner main line via the crossover at "cupboard junction".  It gets back by taking the branch line as it leaves the station, over the single slip, stopping on the hidden single track at the top, and reversing back into the siding.

A bit complicated, but it means that whenever you can see a train, it's doing what it ought to be doing, on the correct track .....  

Obviously multiple unit and/or push-pull trains can run both ways in a single session, otherwise you're limited by where the loco sits to a train going one way or the other until you move over to the sidings and have a fiddle (!)

Hope this helps - until Friday!

Chris

This is great Chris!!!!  And very much appreciated.

I fully understand the layout now and it does seem to cover the aspects i would require, and have plenty of scenery oportunity, and scope for all sorts of future expansion if and when i see fit.

Please dont feel as though you are under pressure to do more modifictions as soon as you can, i dont mean to be a buren, its all very apprecitaed though!!

3 hours ago, Grovenor said:

If the shelf in the photo is baseboard level the tracks through the cupboard look to be above the stairs! If you go down below the stairs the layout is going to be very low.

yes it is but its below the stairs as the section of stairs you see is the second part of the stairs after a landing

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Harlequin said:

...they don't simulate "the rest of the world" very well. All you can do is drive trains in, stack them up and drive them out again, unchanged, still travelling in the same direction.

Fair point , but it is typical of a lot of American plans - hence common use of the term 'staging' rather than 'fiddle yard'.  If I'm modelling a portion of a cross-continent line where long unit trains travel hundreds (thousands) of miles, the need to replicate having a train return from whence it came a few scale hours later is diminished.  It's part of the differing approach to operating layouts.  Good to flag it up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's my first sketch suggestion:

154465252_DavidParker7.png.dd68ba25bca9581489ce3403a6223743.png

I'm aware that this plan is the simple, obvious solution - and it's similar to others that I've drawn recently. Nothing very clever but that does mean it would be easy to get up and running quickly and it would be very easy to live with because of the comfortably sized operating well and room for a workbench. Less is more!

Key points:

• I decided to avoid going through the cupboard! The structure of the stairs inside will probably prevent it.
  • I'm suggesting that since you've got to bridge across in front of the cupboard, you could model it as a bridge with large buildings like warehouses perhaps behind. One large building would wrap around the corner of the cupboard to disguise it.
  • The alcove to the right of the cupboard is a neat space for a goods yard and the alcove below it is used for the tight radius turn between the scenic section and the fiddle yard, which maximises the length of both.
  • I think that to make operations interesting you need a fiddle yard - a real fiddle yard, not just a set of storage loops. So I've shown one along the bottom of the plan next to the lifting flap. That whole side of the room is non-scenic with a workbench below. Two through lines run around the outside of the loops with minimal turnouts in their paths. The 4 loops in the middle have between 4ft6in and 5ft usable storage length. The loops are spaced  at 67mm between track centres for easy handling of stock. The turnout ladders give exit routes onto the normal running line in both directions and facing crossovers at the entry ends allow full storage flexibility with no on-scene wrong-road running.
  • If you didn't want a fiddle yard the lower side of the layout could just be open countryside with the double track main line gently curving through it.
  • The lifting flap is hinged on the left side, has perpendicular track joints at both ends and can be operated from the entrance even though it prevents the door being fully opened when it's down.
  • The goods yard can be accessed from either Down or Up main lines and the headshunt allows it to be shunted without affecting trains running on the main lines. It can be used as a shunting puzzle.
  • The station platforms are gently curved and long enough for a loco and 4 coaches, same as the fiddle yard.
  • Countryside can be modelled in front of the station and around to the lifting flap. (The track could be moved away from the wall on the right but that means shortening the lifting flap and the platforms and possibly tightening the curves.)
  • Industry could be modelled behind and to the left of the goods yard.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I'm aware that this plan is "Route 1" - the simple, obvious solution and it's similar to others that I've drawn recently. Nothing very clever but that does mean it would be easy to get up and running quickly and it would be very easy to live with because of the comfortably sized operating well and room for a workbench. Less is more!

Key points:

• I decided to avoid going through the cupboard! The structure of the stairs behind will probably prevent it.
  • I'm suggesting that since you've got to bridge across in front of the cupboard, you could model it as a bridge with large buildings like warehouses perhaps behind. One large building would wrap around the corner of the cupboard to disguise it.
  • The alcove to the left of the cupboard is a neat space for a goods yard and the alcove below it is used for the tight radius turn between the scenic section and the fiddle yard, which maximises the length of both.
  • I think that to make operations interesting you need a fiddle yard - a real fiddle yard not just a set of storage loops. So I've shown one next to the lifting flap, that whole side of the room being non-scenic with a workbench below. Two through lines around the outside of the loops with minimal turnouts in their paths. 4 loops in the middle with between 4ft6in and 5ft usable storage length. 67mm between loops for easy handling of stock. The turnout ladders are trailing for the normal exit routes and facing crossovers at the entry ends allow full storage flexibility with no on-scene wrong-road running.
  • If you didn't want a fiddle yard the lower side of the layout could just be open countryside with the double track main line gently curving through it.
  • The lifting flap is hinged on the left side, has perpendicular track joints at both ends and can be operated from the entrance even though it prevents the door being fully opened when it's down.
  • The goods yard can be accessed from either Down or Up main lines and the headshunt allows it to be shunted without affecting trains running on the main lines. It can be used as a shunting puzzle.
  • The station platforms are gently curved and long enough for a loco and 4 coaches, same as the fiddle yard.
  • Countryside can be modelled in front of the station and around to the lifting flap. (The track could be moved away from the wall on the right but that means shortening the lifting flap and the platforms and possibly tightening the curves.)
  • Industry could be modelled behind and to the left of the good yard.

I’m liking that Phil :good:

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I'm aware that this plan is the simple, obvious solution - and it's similar to others that I've drawn recently. Nothing very clever but that does mean it would be easy to get up and running quickly and it would be very easy to live with because of the comfortably sized operating well and room for a workbench. Less is more!

Key points:

• I decided to avoid going through the cupboard! The structure of the stairs inside will probably prevent it.
  • The alcove to the right of the cupboard is a neat space for a goods yard and the alcove below it is used for the tight radius turn between the scenic section and the fiddle yard, which maximises the length of both.
  • I think that to make operations interesting you need a fiddle yard - a real fiddle yard, not just a set of storage loops. So I've shown one along the bottom of the plan next to the lifting flap. That whole side of the room is non-scenic with a workbench below. Two through lines run around the outside of the loops with minimal turnouts in their paths. The 4 loops in the middle have between 4ft6in and 5ft usable storage length. The loops are spaced  at 67mm between track centres for easy handling of stock. The turnout ladders give exit routes onto the normal running line in both directions and facing crossovers at the entry ends allow full storage flexibility with no on-scene wrong-road running.

Phil you have excelled yourself with this one.

How you have managed to get everything I mentioned and more in that room while not cutting the cupboard, not blocking the door, providing a work/test bench is beyond me.

i can’t even request a change at the moment as I can’t think of anything!

As you say, the storage area adds a lot of flexibility, and even if I left it off to begin with and just had the two tracks running round. I could add to it in the future.

if I wanted to scenic this area to make it more interesting, could there just be maybe a large station-like shed over the top or similar? Is this ever done?

seems a shame to have such a large area of un sceniced are.

wow I am blown away :dancer:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, davidparker172 said:

How you have managed to get everything I mentioned and more in that room while not cutting the cupboard, not blocking the door, providing a work/test bench is beyond me.

As you say, the storage area adds a lot of flexibility, and even if I left it off to begin with and just had the two tracks running round. I could add to it in the future.

if I wanted to scenic this area to make it more interesting, could there just be maybe a large station-like shed over the top or similar? Is this ever done?

Thanks!

Some sort of non-scenic storage area is really important to make the on-scene operation work properly. It's not a "shame" or a "waste"... :wink_mini:

If you're into operating rather more than photographing scenes then reaching into a beautifully realistic landscape and lifting stock off the tracks erodes the reason for trains moving anywhere by themselves! And it breaks down the scenic illusion that you're trying to create. You could cover the fiddle yard with anything you like (a dust cover might be a very good idea) or just erect a backscene in front of it but when you are operating you will need to get in there to uncouple brake vans, change locos, etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Thanks!

Some sort of non-scenic storage area is really important to make the on-scene operation work properly. It's not a "shame" or a "waste"... :wink_mini:

If you're into operating rather more than photographing scenes then reaching into a beautifully realistic landscape and lifting stock off the tracks erodes the reason for trains moving anywhere by themselves! And it breaks down the scenic illusion that you're trying to create. You could cover the fiddle yard with anything you like (a dust cover might be a very good idea) or just erect a backscene in front of it but when you are operating you will need to get in there to uncouple brake vans, change locos, etc.

Yep you are right !i see how…. Didn’t think of it like that

another beginners mistake 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Have you seen Little Muddle? If you haven't found it yet you're in for a treat!

It's a really beautiful layout and interestingly it doesn't have a fiddle yard. Stock is mostly positioned by hand and many of the locos don't even have motors! But that's because it's more about the photography than the operations.

Just to show there are different ways of doing things...

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

It's a really beautiful layout and interestingly it doesn't have a fiddle yard. Stock is mostly positioned by hand and many of the locos don't even have motors! But that's because it's more about the photography than the operations.

Will go through this while I have mid morning coffee!!!!

6 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I have only quickly flicked the first page and already it’s exactly the kind of atmosphere I would be aiming for… looks amazing!!!

470 pages to get through though omg 

• RMweb Premium
On 20/10/2021 at 20:04, Harlequin said:

Key points:

Hi David, as you’ve seen already, there’s always lots to like about Phil’s ( @Harlequin’s) layout designs.  If it’s OK, I wonder if I might comment on three things that stood out for me from this proposal:

The first was the way it uses the tight space on the left hand end without trying to mess with the cupboard under the stairs - I’d considered a ‘diagonal’ oval running from the bottom left to top right, but then decided - and suggested - it might be easier to ignore that corner altogether (which shows what I know 😉).  By finding a way to make it work, this plan gives much more space along the bottom wall before the door interferes at the other end.  Scenically, I think I might try a raised town scene over the tracks to hide the return curve altogether, as long as the points are accessible and can be remotely operated.  It’s not that different to the suggestion of tall buildings around the tracks of course.  Either way, the wall space that you can buy by using the corner for the end curve looks well worth it.

The second thing - which we see in a lot of Phil’s plans - is how well the room works.  Not only is a good sized workbench included, but by placing this alongside the door with the fiddle yard (so all the non-scenic stuff is in one place), the view you then get when entering the room is of the scenic side of the layout - it looks much more attractive to people passing the door, or for visitors coming in for a look (and helps sell the project as a good thing when if you exceed the budget 🙂)

I think this arrangement plays out positively in another way too (my third thing).  I noted your comment about the size of the non-scenic part of the layout:

On 21/10/2021 at 08:37, davidparker172 said:

I actually think it won’t look that big - again, because it’s tucked in behind the door and above the workbench: how things look in the helicopter view we use for planning can be different to how we experience them when viewed from eye level.  My guess is the eye will be drawn to the workbench before the storage loops above it, and when seated at the workbench the storage loops baseboard won’t seem so wide anyway.

Operationally, the fiddle yard isn’t that big (it will soon fill up!).  If I think about realistic operation on a UK-based layout, it looks good if a train that departs in one direction from the station then only reappears from the direction it set off it (as discussed earlier, this is different to a lot of US track plans, for example).  While this plan may look different, it can be operated in just the same way……but with the added advantage that you can, when you want to, suspend operations and just watch trains run (particularly useful when running in new locomotives).  The particular arrangement suggested for this plan minimises the number of ‘facing’ points a through train travelling in either direction has to cross, which is good prototype practice too.

I hope @Harlequin doesn’t mind my observations - as always, please correct any assumptions I’m making as to how the plan was derived.  Thanks, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
(Post edited to just text: two sketches were originally included but I did not keep copies so cannot reinstate the images, sorry).
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi David, as you’ve seen already, there’s always lots to like about Phil’s ( @Harlequin’s) layout designs.  If it’s OK, I wonder if I might comment on three things that stood out for me from this proposal:

The first was the way it uses the tight space on the left hand end without trying to mess with the cupboard under the stairs - I’d considered a ‘diagonal’ oval running from the bottom left to top right, but then decided - and suggested - it might be easier to ignore that corner altogether (which shows what I know :rolleyes:).  By finding a way to make it work, this plan gives much more space along the bottom wall before the door interferes at the other end.  Scenically, I think I might try a raised town scene over the tracks to hide the return curve altogether, as long as the points are accessible and can be remotely operated.  It’s not that different to the suggestion of tall buildings around the tracks of course.  Either way, the wall space that you can buy by using the corner for the end curve looks well worth it.

The second thing - which we see in a lot of Phil’s plans - is how well the room works.  Not only is a good sized workbench included, but by placing this alongside the door with the fiddle yard (so all the non-scenic stuff is in one place), the view you then get when entering the room is of the scenic side of the layout - it looks much more attractive to people passing the door, or for visitors coming in for a look (and helps sell the project as a good thing when if you exceed the budget :))

I think this arrangement plays out positively in another way too (my third thing).  I noted your comment about the size of the non-scenic part of the layout:

I actually think it won’t look that big - again, because it’s tucked in behind the door and above the workbench: how things look in the helicopter view we use for planning can be different to how we experience them when viewed from eye level.  My guess is the eye will be drawn to the workbench before the storage loops above it, and when seated at the workbench the storage loops baseboard won’t seem so wide anyway.

Operationally, the fiddle yard isn’t that big (it will soon fill up!).  If I think about realistic operation on a UK-based layout, it looks good if a train that departs in one direction from the station then only reappears from the direction it set off it (as discussed earlier, this is different to a lot of US track plans, for example).  Schematically, it works like this:

D3ACF375-5ED5-4C55-B0DD-B2D5A8DE8EF2.jpeg.edf67997aea3e463d7248e183246ad46.jpeg

While this plan may look different, it can be operated in just the same way…

101EA875-F35C-435A-9EBF-E1DC3C3D8701.jpeg.ba6c43bf3d0e1df48271b9f3197cc095.jpeg

…but with the added advantage that you can, when you want to, suspend operations and just watch trains run (particularly useful when running in new locomotives).  The particular arrangement suggested for this plan minimises the number of ‘facing’ points a through train travelling in either direction has to cross, which is good prototype practice too.

I hope @Harlequin doesn’t mind my observations - as always, please correct any assumptions I’m making as to how the plan was derived.  Thanks, Keith.

Hi Keith

Many thanks for your reply and comments, they are greatly appreciated.

And there is no need to ask permission as the whole point of this is for me to learn and get advice from experienced modellers so that I don't fall down holes that could be avoided, and also making sure I enjoy this hobby that is all new to me.

I am sure that @Harlequin will be fine with people commenting as 5 sets of eyes are better than one.

As you say, this is a great start to the layout planning and i struggle to see anywhere that my limited experience would want me to change or revise, as it covers everything I asked for, means much less work leaving the cupboard as it is (keeps the wife happier also), and has lots of modelling potential, and even future expansion.

Any comments or suggestions are always welcome, thanks again for stopping by!!!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, davidparker172 said:

I do have a newbie question though....

Don't shoot me

Which track will be clockwise and which will be anti clockwise???

Like our UK roads, UK trains travel on the left.

• Like 1

Harlequin's design is a bit short on fiddle yard capacity. My 6ft 4" X 4ft 6" layout can handle 6 coach trains, well it could if they could climb the gradients, but I would be looking for a 4-6-0 and 5 X 60ft coaches or at least 6ft loop length on this size of layout.    My loft layout concept of a station on the outskirts of a town with the loco depot of a larger station adjacent could work here.  Monument Lane style,  Locals stop, Expresses don't stop  and with carriage sidings even further away you can have ECS workings with tank locos on main line stock.

I would probably have a Turntable in the hidden section for this scenario as bits break off modern RTR locos so easily when its handled

4 hours ago, DCB said:

Harlequin's design is a bit short on fiddle yard capacity. My 6ft 4" X 4ft 6" layout can handle 6 coach trains, well it could if they could climb the gradients, but I would be looking for a 4-6-0 and 5 X 60ft coaches or at least 6ft loop length on this size of layout.    My loft layout concept of a station on the outskirts of a town with the loco depot of a larger station adjacent could work here.  Monument Lane style,  Locals stop, Expresses don't stop  and with carriage sidings even further away you can have ECS workings with tank locos on main line stock.

I would probably have a Turntable in the hidden section for this scenario as bits break off modern RTR locos so easily when its handled

@Harlequin design is exactly what I had requested.

i didn’t see the news for any fiddle yard or stairs he area bud now having seen it, I definately do.

foe what I am looking for, it’s perfect layout, I won’t be having massively long runs of coaches.

Not sure where you mean for a turntable or how it would help much???

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DCB said:

7 minutes ago, davidparker172 said:

@Harlequin design is exactly what I had requested.

i didn’t see the news for any fiddle yard or stairs he area bud now having seen it, I definately do.

foe what I am looking for, it’s perfect layout, I won’t be having massively long runs of coaches.

Not sure where you mean for a turntable or how it would help much???

@DCB makes a fair point but that is much storage as I could fit in the space (and even that took a lot of thought!). It should be enough for @davidparker172 and he can form up longer trains in the fiddle yard as required.

We could add some spurs in the fiddle yard for locos and those spurs would be the ideal place to use Loco-lifts to move and turn locos without handling them.

• Like 2