Lighting Board - Non Railway Related

Sir TophamHatt

While this isn't directly related to railways per se, I have some soar powered lights that have 8 modes of operation.

This is the circuit board.

IMG_20211015_154207_edit_422158245610060.jpg.5be2dbb545ef635fd626baae6a41d0de.jpg

Is there a way I could bridge a component or switch something so the lights are either on or off?

The switch for the mode links to the large black chip middle left.

Thanks

Well when they run out of battery overnight, they come on and cycle through the modes.

I was thinking if I can get them to just come on (steady on) and off then I could use them in a model railway setting.

I have some as a test, but even connecting each side of the lights to a 9v battery, they don't just light up.

It's strange as not all the sets do this (we have four).

There's no other words on the chip though.

I wonder what would happen if I put a piece of wire between the extreme left and extreme right bottom of that chip. 

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

I have some multi-function xmas tree lights that power up into auto-cycle mode. I then have to press the selector button x-times to put them into the mode I like every time. I haven’t had a look inside the box but I suspect it is very similar to yours and any solution would be the same, e.g. bridge a terminal or two to stop the cycle at the point of choice , in your case - steady on.

Edit - likely the 8-legged chip is a 555 timer and each ‘mode’ is selecting a series of timed outputs depending upon the external resistors and caps on the board. Probably worth downloading one of those free 555 circuit books to get a feel for the use of each leg to prevent destroying it by indiscriminate bridging. 

Edited by RAF96