Making my own Superstrip

I've had a bottle of the original Phoenix Superstrip for years and it's fabulous stuff. Today though I had a accident; the Plasticard box I used as a bath for it had a dodgy seam and I lost most of the Superstrip down the sink. The present-day cost of it, I have discovered, is scandalous and it's not even the same formula any more. I'm NOT paying seventy quid for a litre of anything unless a it's single malt!

Fortunately the Superstrip bottle tells me what's in it: Butoxyethanol, Isopropyl alcohol and Dimethyl Carbonate. I have the IPA already and I've just ordered a 500ml bottle of the butoxyethanol for £7.99. The dimethyl carbonate is imposssible to source in small quantities for some reason. I already know IPA strips paint and that the BE is a solvent used in paint manufacture so a mixture of the two, even if it is minus the dimethyl darbonate should do a pretty good job. Two questions arise therefore: Does anyone know in what proportions I should mix the IPA and BE and what was the purpose of the dimethyl carbonate in the original Phoenix formula?

Third question I suppose. How can Phoenix justify the £70 a litre cost of Superstrip when the constituent chemicals are as cheap as I have discovered?

Edited by Swissrail

5 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

How can Phoenix justify the £70 a litre cost of Superstrip when the constituent chemicals are as cheap as I have discovered?

They, like any supplier, don't have to justify anything - they produce the product, offer it at a price they think will sell, and if it does; (which it presumably does); fine!

(If is doesn't, reduce the price until it does sell).

End of!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Isopropanol £10/L

Butoxyethanol, £16/L

Dimethyl Carbonate £35/L (from a lab supplier - I'm perfectly prepared to believe there are cheaper suppliers, but its slightly irrelevant to my point)

So about £61 per litre before you look at the facilities to make it in, the labour to mix it, the HS&E costs of handling it in bulk, the bottles to put it in, and making a profit? Seems a bit cheap to me.

Oh and I forgot - the chemical knowledge/experimentation  to know what proportion to mix it.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Isopropanol £10/L

Butoxyethanol, £16/L

Dimethyl Carbonate £35/L

So about £61 per litre

That's three litres assuming it's mixed 1:1.

When I bought my original 250ml bottle directly from Phoenix at an exhibition, the price label on it was £11.95...what I paid. When I got it home I discovered there was another label underneath it which said £5.95. I'm not therefore inclined to believe that Phoenix is a poor struggling company trying to do the right thing by making a reasonable profit. The're trying to rip the a*** out of it.

1 hour ago, Swissrail said:

I've had a bottle of the original Phoenix Superstrip for years and it's fabulous stuff. Today though I had a accident; the Plasticard box I used as a bath for it had a dodgy seam and I lost most of the Superstrip down the sink. The present-day cost of it, I have discovered, is scandalous and it's not even the same formula any more. I'm NOT paying seventy quid for a litre of anything unless a it's single malt!

Fortunately the Superstrip bottle tells me what's in it: Butoxyethanol, Isopropyl alcohol and Dimethyl Carbonate. I have the IPA already and I've just ordered a 500ml bottle of the butoxyethanol for £7.99. The dimethyl carbonate is imposssible to source in small quantities for some reason. I already know IPA strips paint and that the BE is a solvent used in paint manufacture so a mixture of the two, even if it is minus the dimethyl darbonate should do a pretty good job. Two questions arise therefore: Does anyone know in what proportions I should mix the IPA and BE and what was the purpose of the dimethyl carbonate in the original Phoenix formula?

Third question I suppose. How can Phoenix justify the £70 a litre cost of Superstrip when the constituent chemicals are as cheap as I have discovered?

Be careful mixing chemicals. We don't want to hear what happened next on News at Ten! 

• Agree 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

The're trying to rip the a*** out of it.

Fine, you go and make your own but don't insult an established business with premises, staff, overheads and needs to properly detail product safety data and ingredients.

• Agree 5

• AY Mod locked this topic