Clayton Class 17's - How far South ?

Staffordshire

Hope people will take the time to reply, simple question really ...

How far South were the Clayton Class 17's seen ?

Would like to know of any information of Class 17's working South, not really including the Clayton that was taken into Derby research Centre .

Would just like any information on 'normal' BR Class  17's working South, sightings even if as light engines to works ?

Many thanks, 

Ian 

Several were allocated to Staveley Barrow Hill shed. One worked at Hemelite of Harpenden, a cement works, after being sold out of BR service. I’m sure others on here can give you much more detailed information.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember there was a picture of a pair at Toton in the early 60’s, probably for evaluation purposes.  You have to remember that any diesel locomotive is restricted to a depot’s train crew’s traction and route knowledge, so I doubt any would have worked further south than Barrow Hill’s local area.

2 hours ago, br2975 said:

D8560, Worcester June 1969

Excellent condition, considering................

Photographer unknown.

8560 Worcester xx0669.jpg

Well I suppose it makes a change from stored/withdrawn WR D95xx at Worcester, which were a regular feature in 1966/7/8!! According to BR Database, this class 17 was withdrawn in Feb 1969, so is likely en route to its final resting place (scrapped at Birds, Long Marston per BR Database) - nice of them to give it a good clean before despatch!! Interestingly, Birds dealt with D8547, 56, 60, 64, 70, 76 and 77, all quoted as cut up mid 1969 (05/69 according to BR Database) - I guess it actually was en route to its demise. 

I had been intending to mention that D8572 spent several weeks in the diesel loco holding sidings in Bescot down hump yard in 1969 - withdrawn in June 1969 - it had been in the process of being towed to Cashmores at Great Bridge (along with others) but seem to recall it had a hot axle box so was parked up for some time. Both these locos had been withdrawn from 66A (a number were withdrawn in 1968/69). 

Another withdrawn loco which reached these same sidings at Bescot and stayed for a while was Baby Deltic D5908. 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

Well I suppose it makes a change from stored/withdrawn WR D95xx at Worcester, which were a regular feature in 1966/7/8!! According to BR Database, this class 17 was withdrawn in Feb 1969, so is likely en route to its final resting place (scrapped at Birds, Long Marston per BR Database) - nice of them to give it a good clean before despatch!! Interestingly, Birds dealt with D8547, 56, 60, 64, 70, 76 and 77, all quoted as cut up mid 1969 (05/69 according to BR Database) - I guess it actually was en route to its demise. 

I think those cutting dates may be a tad suspicious, as on Monday, 16th. March, 1970, D8547, 8556, 8564, 8577 were booked to me moved from Bird’s Long Marston to Bird’s Forty Acre Site, Cardiff for cutting up.

The move did not take place.