Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Dave King

Tony Wright

I can recall visiting his shop in Maidenhead a long time ago, but I still remember the glass case at the end of the counter which had a model of an LMS style coaling plant when such things were never heard of - sticks in my mind to this day!

A2/3's from Crownline (and PDK) before the DJH ones!

Chas

Very sad news indeed. RIP Dave.

Many happy hours spent in my earlier modelling years thumbing through the Crownline Catalogue deciding what conversion to attempt next. Happy times, thanks in no small part to Mr King and his vast range of kits and bits.

Andy.

• Like 3

What a splendid contribution to this hobby he made. The Crownline range was my introduction to improving my RTR locos as a teenager and his full loco kits, although out of my league until I was much older, are now treasured in my roster. I have a couple of TW built ones bought from ebay many years ago. I have a few models from later RTR efforts which duplicate his Schools and Bulleid Pacifics but I much prefer the weight and finesse and character of the kit builds. I thank him for them all.

Thinking of his family and friends. 

• Like 2

Back in 1979 I believe I was Daves first customer at the Queen St, Maidenhead shop. Well, I say customer, more a roped in helper. It happened as I gazed with amazment at what I saw being displayed in the window of the shop. Next thing I knew, the door opened and I was invited in, the shop hadn't opened for business as yet. As I went in I exclaimed "Bl**dy hell, at last a model railway shop in Maidenhead". Dave burst out laughing and said , " can you give us a hand to move this counter over there". That was the start of a long a deep friendship.

From then on for the next few years I used to spend all my spare time, after my shift with Royal Mail had finished, helping Dave, Sheila and his other two young helpers Paul and Barry, convert the many RTR locos that went on sale for customers and private orders. Those were the greatest and happiest modelling days in my life. Dave was always the prectical joker, and with his infectious laugh would keep us in stitches all the time. A big man with a big and kind heart.

Dave, I will miss you deeply, thank you so much for how you helped the railway modeling world an me in particular.

Rest in peace my friend.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

My abiding image of Dave is of him chatting away with groups that built up around his demo tables at exhibitions and simultaneously assembling one of his Bulleid Pacific kits, whilst only occasionally glancing at what he was doing.

I guess he'd built enough of them to do it on pure "muscle memory"....

Smashing bloke.

John

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2