Jump to content

Advice for starter layout


 Share

Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Trainnoob said:

About 15x8

 

I meant realism when I comes to trains, like having massive Era gaps in trains, but i don't worry to much about track for now. I really want a round layout to be able to run trains without stopping, even if i have to sacrifice a few things. 

 

I also said I have no experience in advanced track plans.

 

As for the DCC, i am probably gonna go with a Gaugemaster prodigy, because it's look better for Dcc sound which is what i want eventually. 

 

The Elite doesn't seem to be good for that based of what i have been told from other sources. 

 

 

 

OK, now we're getting somewhere!

 

Assuming that you are happy to build sectional baseboards (modular baseboards are slightly different things) why not build around the outside of the 15 * 8 space, with a decent sized hole, the "operating well", in the middle?

 

That way you could have longer runs, longer stations and sidings and wider curves (more realistic) and you wouldn't have to squeeze into a small hole or sidle around the outside with the risk of damaging things as you do.

 

(Do other people need to cross that 15*8 space or is it off to one side?)

 

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Trainnoob said:

About 15x8

 

In that case I would strongly recommend using as much of that 15 x 8 floor space as possible with 2' wide sectional boards (like I drew above) with up to an 11 x 4 operating well in the middle. You'll have much gentler curves, a much longer run of main line, a more prototypical layout and overall the building and operating experience will be less frustrating and more enjoyable. It's actually easier to build and easier to handle than an 8x4 slab. Pick a location you like and see of there is a real station that has the variety of traffic you want. That's the difference between a glorified train set (like the Anyrail diagram) and a model railway.

 

Cheers

David

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

OK, now we're getting somewhere!

 

Assuming that you are happy to build sectional baseboards (modular baseboards are slightly different things) why not build around the outside of the 15 * 8 space, with a decent sized hole, the "operating well", in the middle?

 

That way you could have longer runs, longer stations and sidings and wider curves (more realistic) and you wouldn't have to squeeze into a small hole or sidle around the outside with the risk of damaging things as you do.

 

(Do other people need to cross that 15*8 space or is it off to one side?)

 

It has a wall to one side. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just taken a measurement of my space and discovered the maximum I can use for my model railway is 13x6

 

Which is actually larger then i thought. 

Edited by Trainnoob
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Trainnoob said:

It has a wall to one side. 

 

Most garages do.

 

But that's not an issue - if you build the baseboards along the wall, provided they're not wider than about 2' - 2'6", you only need to access them from the operating well side.

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Trainnoob said:

I found a layout track plan, its not an end to end, but it does look relatively easy for my space and looks nice, will make a few Adaptions.093352cffb580c86008244d5ce1576eb.jpg.045cb70fb62004d3007db02b919ab9b9.jpg



That will be very difficult to move if your wanting to make this as a series of boards that then come apart to be put up elsewhere.... my advice is to line the plan up so that there are not curves on the boards and joins are thus straight. HTH

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think - Less = more. The modern railway (one with OLE) tends to have minimal track that is only what is required for the traffic of the day. 

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's correct, but main line OLE does go back to pre-grouping...

 

And slightly less facetiously, the WCML electrification started in 1959, and originally incorporated a lot of steam era capabilities. But a pendoliono wouldn't be seen on such a layout.

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

That's correct, but main line OLE does go back to pre-grouping...

 

And slightly less facetiously, the WCML electrification started in 1959, and originally incorporated a lot of steam era capabilities. But a pendoliono wouldn't be seen on such a layout.

 

However Pendolinos do go past Crewe Heritage centre and WCRC Carnforth, so plenty of excuse for steam-era facilities on a modern layout if so wished!

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 18/10/2021 at 14:34, Trainnoob said:

Sorry for lack of clarification. 

 

I will have a hole in the middle section to help me reach the stuff. 

 

My garage is mid size but my dad needs one side for his car, i dont know how big exactly. 


Hi there Trainnoob.  I’ve had a read through the thread so far and there’s some valuable advice here.  
 

I was intrigued by this post, which got me thinking as to how permanent this might be: if you (or your Dad, or anyone else) might move in a few years time - say three, four or five - then the layout may need to move, or the space might change?  Or you might also get a car you want to keep in the garage as well?  Designing in flexibility to cope with a move or change can be a really wise move when planning what is potentially quite a big first layout.  The ideas with sections or modules that have been suggested that can fit into a car may be a good way to think ahead - even if space isn’t so constrained right now.
 

When it comes to details such as track laying across baseboard joints and wiring up different sections, there’s plenty of great advice on RWweb too: the key thing in planning at this stage is perhaps to keep tracks across joins straight where possible (and not too many of them), as has been noted.  The track plan you shared in an earlier post looks to me like something designed for a permanent, non-moveable set up: if that’s your situation that’s fine of course, but I know it wouldn’t work for me, for example.

 

When it comes to working out Overhead Electric Line installations, one place I’ve learned a lot is looking at Swiss Railways: not least because they have some very tight curved metre-gauge lines with overhead electric: the Swiss know how to do it.
 

Just one other thing to be conscious of - last year, during the lockdowns, track was really difficult to get hold of.  There’s more available now, but wood and timber can be in short supply (and / or more expensive than usual).  Do make sure you don’t get caught out - I know I’ve been into hardware stores near me and seen some empty shelves.

 

Above all, of course, have fun!  Hope that helps, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 18/10/2021 at 15:41, Trainnoob said:

...it will be a modular layout set on the northen Part of WCML, possibly a wcml Branch, which apart from the heritage railway Centre with a Turntable, is often overlooked by the trainspotting community...

 

Some good advice there from Keith that is definitely worth taking note of. 

 

Personally I'd favour a smaller set up if this is your first layout. The reason is that you can fail faster, learn, and your next effort will be the better for it. I think a lot of people start off filling all the available space and end up with a dog's breakfast.

 

Ask me how I know. Or just flick through my past layouts to see worked examples! Lol.

 

If you want to have a mix of modern day and some kind of heritage centre then I'd recommend you get hold of a copy of this book which has lots of track plans and inspiration. 

 

20211020_081409.jpg.ded9df81d26ecaa4389c2e56d2e7643d.jpg

 

Hope this helps.

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's set on the northern part of the WCML, your fiddle yard/open storage sidings could be based on any number of goods loops such as Oubeck, Grayrigg or Quintinshill.

 

You might even be able to base the whole thing on something like Oxenholme.

 

Cheers

David

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 19/10/2021 at 19:07, Keith Addenbrooke said:


Hi there Trainnoob.  I’ve had a read through the thread so far and there’s some valuable advice here.  
 

I was intrigued by this post, which got me thinking as to how permanent this might be: if you (or your Dad, or anyone else) might move in a few years time - say three, four or five - then the layout may need to move, or the space might change?  Or you might also get a car you want to keep in the garage as well?  Designing in flexibility to cope with a move or change can be a really wise move when planning what is potentially quite a big first layout.  The ideas with sections or modules that have been suggested that can fit into a car may be a good way to think ahead - even if space isn’t so constrained right now.
 

When it comes to details such as track laying across baseboard joints and wiring up different sections, there’s plenty of great advice on RWweb too: the key thing in planning at this stage is perhaps to keep tracks across joins straight where possible (and not too many of them), as has been noted.  The track plan you shared in an earlier post looks to me like something designed for a permanent, non-moveable set up: if that’s your situation that’s fine of course, but I know it wouldn’t work for me, for example.

 

When it comes to working out Overhead Electric Line installations, one place I’ve learned a lot is looking at Swiss Railways: not least because they have some very tight curved metre-gauge lines with overhead electric: the Swiss know how to do it.
 

Just one other thing to be conscious of - last year, during the lockdowns, track was really difficult to get hold of.  There’s more available now, but wood and timber can be in short supply (and / or more expensive than usual).  Do make sure you don’t get caught out - I know I’ve been into hardware stores near me and seen some empty shelves.

 

Above all, of course, have fun!  Hope that helps, Keith.

There is probably gonna be a move, but i am too excited to start to wait, so i want a permanent layout that can be moved and can be expanded in the future. 

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be set in the Northern part of the wcml but the Heritage bit will be based of Crewe, i dont want a full heritage railway but just a Heritage centre with a Turntable, a bit like a cross between barrow Hill roundhouse in Derbyshire and Crewe Heritage centre, obviously shrunk down to fit my space. 

Edited by Trainnoob
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Trainnoob said:

There is probably gonna be a move, but i am too excited to start to wait, so i want a permanent layout that can be moved and can be expanded in the future. 


Perfectly understandable - something which can be dismantled at some point would be wise, but not needing to be regularly moved (for example, as with an exhibition layout).  Larger sections are possible, and worth bearing in mind.  Good stuff, Keith.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...