If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

Sorted - Walthers Cornerstone HO 933-4601 Rolling Mill

AY Mod

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, 49395 said:

Might be worth going direct unless you need it really soon

https://www.walthers.com/rolling-mill-with-reversing-mill-stand-kit

on sale too…

It'll be the postage and duty from the US that's the killer; they'll make more than Walthers will!

1 minute ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Available to order from Gaugemaster for £155.

'To order' from Walthers is often measured in glacial epochs. I'll probably want it inside 6 months.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, 49395 said:

Might be worth going direct unless you need it really soon

https://www.walthers.com/rolling-mill-with-reversing-mill-stand-kit

on sale too…

Appears to be end of line though. Impressive looking structure like many of these Walthers industrial buildings.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Appears to be end of line though.

It looks that way. It's not the end of the world; the structure's not a problem and I'll just have to do a Blue Peter job on the mill stand.

• RMweb Gold

The "to order" version from Gaugemaster is "new", the "old" version is listed too but as out of stock.

I assume you’ve tried Mech Models, who stock US outline. If it's old stock, Model Junction may have some left if they haven't closed down completely by now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I assume you’ve tried Mech Models, who stock US outline. If it's old stock, Model Junction may have some left if they haven't closed down completely by now.

Neither returned any results on their sites when I looked. A shame as Mech are a short, pleasant drive away.

There are a few on Tatbay, but it's not clear how much the customs will sting you for as they are all from the US and have "estimated" postage.  Unless you can persuade the sender to label them as toys.  Apparently the Japanese supplier of sci-fi kits for my brother does that and Rugeley PO have never stung him for a customs charge.  There again, it's Rugeley, and probably too much bother.

• RMweb Premium

150 EUR over at Modelbahnshop lippe, not sure what that would be DDP post Brexit. 

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Landscape+%26+Decoration/Trade+%26+Industry/WALTHERS-534601/gb/modell_325489.html

At 32 inches long at least you get a lot of plastic for your GBP/USD/EUR

Wandering mildly OT I like the look of this one, would be quite fiddly to scratchbuild and a lot of plastic for <50 EUR. I reckon these would like fine on a 4mm layout, might even give a tad of forced perspective.

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Landscape+%26+Decoration/Trade+%26+Industry/WALTHERS-534046/gb/modell_255508.html

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

There again, it's Rugeley, and probably too much bother.

Lived here for four years and never had to go to sorting office for a parcel; they've got the hang of not carrying stuff around all day and taking it back. Not like Stafford where I'd be at the office 1/2 times a week. Mind you, most of the time they only carried 'Sorry we missed you' cards.

• Like 2

• AY Mod changed the title to Sorted - Walthers Cornerstone HO 933-4601 Rolling Mill
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

As an (allegedly) 15x great grandson of Baron Dudley, Sir John Sutton, who lived in Dudley Castle, I wholeheartedly approve...

S'pose it would have had a roof on it then and no polar bears or killer whales in the garden?

Coincidentally I've been to see one of the best steelworks scenes on a layout today, again a Black Country flavour to it all. Bostin.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

S'pose it would have had a roof on it then and no polar bears or killer whales in the garden?

Coincidentally I've been to see one of the best steelworks scenes on a layout today, again a Black Country flavour to it all. Bostin.

I would hope so seeing as my 14x great granny was born in the Castle.  Be a bit draughty otherwise.

My nan and grandad lived in Pleck, Walsall, across the motorway from what is now Ikea but back then was FH Lloyds, which had it's own ex-BR Class 03 shunter.  Just down the road was James Bridge Copper works.  These huge, mysterious and sometimes noxious buildings were everywhere at one time, then sometime between me starting my Planning degree at Perry Barr, and eventually working at Walsall Council and Centro between 1989 and 1999, they had vanished.  The Walthers industrial buildings do capture the look well.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

James Bridge Copper works. 

I think Walthers were the building contractor.

The James Bridge Copper Works

It's one of the inspirations why I was after the kit. Just need to change the vent angles.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I think Walthers were the building contractor.

The James Bridge Copper Works

It's one of the inspirations why I was after the kit. Just need to change the vent angles.

Will you be documenting it on here?

You had some sort of Quayside layout - Military? I remember at Manchester Co-Op Exhibition must be 18 years back. 

CS 

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, chickensoup said:

You had some sort of Quayside layout - Military? I remember at Manchester Co-Op Exhibition must be 18 years back. 

13 years ago I think now, it was an industrial and train ferry compact layout called Keyhaven.

I may do some updates on here when anything meaningful happens!

• Like 3