Tillig double slip wiring

jaym481

Looking at the Tillig double slip I have (see photos) it appears to be an easy job to install, but before I go ahead I'd like to confirm I have it right. The instructions that come with the slip are fairly clear, but the translation is a bit stilted, so I'd like to make sure I understand.

One image shows the structure of the slip. The instruction sheet indicates the links from the stock rails go to the points. The other picture is what I assume the wiring will be. I'm aware that the frog wiring switch is for the opposite point motor, but I don't see any other complication. Am I missing anything?

Tillig slip wiring.jpg

Tillig slip structure.jpg

I use these points extensively and have used various techniques on them to wire them up. The double slip was done by removing the frog power drop connection, I have found them unreliable and I bond a solid copper wire 0.7mm in diameter in its place, I also bond a copper wire across underneath the center section where the insulated frogs are in the middle of the point,this effectively bonds the blades of the point. The thing you need to be careful of is heat damaging the plastic so I use a 25w soldering iron. Also as a side note the point motor wire needs to be stiffer than normal to overcome the force of the point blade stiffness, but careful adjusting needs to be done not to snap the metal lugs on the end of the blades. All links underneath the point are left in place.

5 hours ago, jaym481 said:

Thank you. I think that covers what I was looking for. Now to see if my soldering skills are up to the task.

ps,

don’t forget to use a fibre glass pen to clean the areas your attaching the new wire to as tillig blacken there rail.

On 20/10/2021 at 08:53, Andymsa said:

don’t forget to use a fibre glass pen to clean the areas your attaching the new wire to as tillig blacken there rail.

That's a good tip for soldering to all makes of rail, not just Tillig.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

That's a good tip for soldering to all makes of rail, not just Tillig.

yes my fingers know that :D even with a quick hoover after using one those pesky strays certainly make themselves known :D.

• Agree 1