British Outline 'HO' - what's the story?

Steve K

Is there a fix for these problems?  Would we need to slightly enlarge the body to get the engine to fit, or can something be cut off, some framing?  Or am I talking nonsense?  I'm tempted to buy an old Terrier to have a look.

• RMweb Premium

I reckon, a small but carefully-chosen range of bodies designed to fit onto the original Dapol/Hornby Terrier would prove popular. These models are easy to buy and if you are really keen you can fit better wheels or a better motor.

I have never needed to try this, but I have read of people grinding away the top corners of a Horny motor to get a bit of extra space. The only obvious investment for the body designer would be a couple of chassis, one to modify and one to keep as original. And possibly a bench grinder.

- Richard.

• Like 1

my designs are done in one piece, not a  collection of bits, called a kit. That is the big advantage of 3D printing, but it does mean adapting to a specific chassis is not an option. I wonder if there is a smaller motor which with a suitable cradle could be fitted to Terrier.

There are some designs which would uit this chassis, but a better loco size is one which would fit a J72 chassis as that then covers most standard 0-6-0 locos. If someone was to design such a chassis then it might be worth my time designing bodies to fit. I am less interested in designing locos, but will do those that  are of interest to me and I think others might be interested. Most of my designs are done for at least 6 different scales.

My main interest is coaches and railcars, and I have a long list of ones I want to do, and already have the drawings.

I've been looking at the getting a chassis designed route.  I've a friend, primarily a 3mm modeller (Ambleside on Shapeways) who has made brass locos for me in the past who is now also doing 3D printed bodies fitted to scratch built chassis. 

all it needs is a block based on the Bachmann/Mainline one, without the side weights. As it would be plastic it would be necessary to add pickups,and I think the later versions had a better axle which made fitting wheels easier.

Alternatively someone bravely cutting up one of these chassis.

I did look aound to see if I could find a chassis(or complete loco) cheap, but oddly prices have gone up since the new version was released.

If I was going for a fancy chassis, I would probably opt for this one

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/lcp33/

Edited by rue_d_etropal

On 05/04/2021 at 16:12, 47137 said:

I reckon, a small but carefully-chosen range of bodies designed to fit onto the original Dapol/Hornby Terrier would prove popular. These models are easy to buy and if you are really keen you can fit better wheels or a better motor.

I have never needed to try this, but I have read of people grinding away the top corners of a Horny motor to get a bit of extra space. The only obvious investment for the body designer would be a couple of chassis, one to modify and one to keep as original. And possibly a bench grinder.

- Richard.

There was a description of something like this in Mike Bryant's Modelling in TT3*. When the only mech available was that used for the Tri-ang 0-6-0T Jinty, he built a Fowler 0-6-0 4F on its  chassis. For a loco without side tanks the motor was too wide so he  reduced the thickness of the pole pieces by clamping them in turn in a vice witth the metal to be removed proud of the jaws and carefully cutting along the top of the jaws with a fine toothed hacksaw.  I don't know how similar that motor (was it an XT60?) is to those used in current Hornby OO locos. This didn't involve any modification to the magnet and my experience of cutting magnets (Kadee uncoupling magnets) is that they're very hard and terribly brittle so apt to shatter if you're not very very careful.

*Aimed at those with no previous experience this book, Model Railway Constructor Handbook No 1, was,  in 64 pages  a wonderfully complete guide to railway modelling in any small scale from the contents of a basic toolkit and baseboard construction to the principles of two rail electrification and scratchbuilding loco and wagon bodies. 

• Informative/Useful 1