British Outline 'HO' - what's the story?

Steve K

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:24 pm

I've got this Lenz V36.413 - it possibly offers some options for conversion? It looks excellent and runs superbly.

It has LED lights and spring loaded buffers aswell!

Dave

file.php?id=2660

Comment posted by twilight on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:34 am

Dave, I've mentally noted the V36 before as an interesting machine and with distinct conversion possibilities (also in TT for possible 3mm 'part-skirted' use icon_razz.gif ).

Would there be any chance of wheel diameter/wheelbase measurements from your model - all good info to have to hand when considering possibilities. icon_wink.gif

Thanks,

Julian

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 am

Hi Julian.

No problem - will let you have dimensions this afternoon, when back home.

Dave

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:45 pm

OK, so here's some pics of the Lenz MAK V36:

file.php?id=2741

and with the dimensions:

file.php?id=2742

Hope this helps.

Dave

Comment posted by twilight on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:52 pm

That is superb Dave. Many thanks and much food for thought

Where's my Junior hacksaw?

An interesting page on an interesting site has me cogitating re early Armstrong Whitworths

http://www.derbysulzers.com/aw.html

Are we too far into the realms of fantasy here Cpl Jones icon_question.gif icon_razz.gif icon_wink.gif

??? posted on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:13 pm

twilight wrote:

That is superb Dave. Many thanks and much food for thought

Where's my Junior hacksaw?

An interesting page on an interesting site has me cogitating re early Armstrong Whitworths

Are we too far into the realms of fantasy here Cpl Jones?

Depends which A-W machine you want to model. If it's the gronkish shunter, then I've discovered that this model is available as an 'HO' kit (already on my "fantasy British HO" wishlist!):

file.php?id=2763

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:30 pm

The sulzer site is really interesting - even managed to read a report on Derby works for 1965 (and before), which was the first time I ever went to Derby.

Saturdays on Derby Station, 9.00am to 9.00pm - 12 hours of really interesting stuff, coming from all directions. Must have worn a hole in the platform standing at the Stoke end of platform 1!

??? posted on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:35 pm

Apologies (particularly to anyone who may now be concerned about my sanity) for bumping my own dormant thread, but I thought I'd share some bad news:

A casual visit to a toy fair today has led to me buying my first model rail rolling stock in over 20 years, and yes, it's all British HO.

I've acquired a Lima 33, a couple of Playcraft 21/29s, and 3-and-a-half Mk2 carriages (don't ask - really). Total outlay, the princely sum of ??????‚??32, and all the locos are runners. No track, controller or anything silly like that, not yet, but it's a start, and I like to think that I've the makings of a project which could give me some enjoyment. And after all, that's what we're all in it for, isn't it?

I'll post some pictures soon, but I have to say, initial impressions are that the Lima stuff is really rather nicely modelled. I'm aware that the traditional next step with the 33 is to perform a Y-shaped incision on the roof and cab, in the manner of Andersley's admirable work on his Slovenian project, but the little fella's so darned cute that I don't have the heart to do it, not yet at least.

The Playcraft locomotives are a touch crude, to say the least, but they're not absolutely irredeemable, and with some vague ideas of a project forming in my mind, I'll be trying out my nascent modelling skills on one of them first. When time permits, I'll look at disassembly/re-livery/conversion to a 22. No rush, though, and in the meantime I'll have fun visiting second-hand fairs.

Oh, and yes - when the above do turn into a layout, it will be called "Westward HO!", so no nicking my idea!

Comment posted by F-UnitMad on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:12 pm

When I get chance SteveK, I'll photo my Lima 33 & my failed attempt at making a Class 22 out of the Playcraft NBL 'thing'...

Comment posted by Michael Edge on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:21 pm

The judith Edge Ruston 165DS 0-4-0 has been available in HO scale for about 3 years now (an Australian customer paid us to re-scale it). We have to date sold 2 (two) of these to modellers in this country and we still hear complaints that manufacturers will not support this scale - do I need to explain why?

Michael Edge

??? posted on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Hardly - that stat speaks for itself. As I've freely conceded throughout the life of this thread, British HO is nothing if not a niche market, but that's part of what's got me intrigued by the idea. Sorry about your sales, all the same - hopefully you didn't produce hundreds of those kits?

Comment posted by dublorunner on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:12 pm

This site might be worth a visit: http://limabritishho...ite.wanadoo-mem ... O-Home.htm

I have the LMS 4683 which has been converted to 3 rail for my vintage layout. Not much of a model but runs well. The coaches look OK though.

??? posted on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:13 pm

Thanks for that, dublo - very interesting. So a Deltic was advertised, but probably never built in HO by Lima (or anyone else, for that matter!).

Comment posted by F-UnitMad on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:25 pm

That's why the Lima Deltic in OO had HO scale bogies & wheels... those were the bits that had already been designed & made when they decided to switch from HO to OO for their British models.

Comment posted by dublorunner on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:30 pm

I just had a search on ebay for Lima HO and there are a couple of Class 33's and also some coaches and wagons - might be worth watching some items to see what they are selling for. However if you are going for Westward HO then these are a must -

250221638113 -described as 3x LIMA HO/OO GAUGE CONTINENTAL STYLE GWR COACHES 5016!!!!!!!!!

??? posted on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:07 pm

dublorunner wrote:

However if you are going for Westward HO then these are a must -

250221638113 -described as 3x LIMA HO/OO GAUGE CONTINENTAL STYLE GWR COACHES 5016!!!!!!!!!

People are quite welcome to think me daft for dabbling in British HO, but I'm not that daft. A ??12.99 starting bid for those horrors (plus postage)? Ouch!

??? posted on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Just for anyone who's not familiar with the Lima stuff, here's my new HO class 33 (with one of the Jouef class 21 "things" behind it - the boxed carriage is also Lima HO):

file.php?id=7455

Sorry about the slightly grainy photo, which was taken on my mobile phone. As it happens, the picture flatters the colour scheme on the 33, which in daylight looks way too pale on the blue bits, and very plasticky on the cab ends.

A better look at the Playcraft/Jouef 21s here. To say that they're not exactly the last word in detail would be an understatement (I particularly like the large screws holding the body to the chassis!), but as I've said, they'll represent my first bash at modding in due course. And at well under a tenner per loco, I've nothing much to lose.

file.php?id=7456

Comment posted by F-UnitMad on Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:10 am

SteveK... as promised a couple of pics of my attempts with HO locos like yours...

First the Class 33...

Apart from the repaint, it's had modified roof details, flush glazing, wipers, Kadee #58 couplers, Roco bufferbeam hoses, Bachmann round sprung buffers, card snowplows, and sits on a Walthers FA1 chassis (Central motor, twin flywheels, all-axle pick-ups & drive... lightyears from the Lima pancake...) which unfortunately has slightly short axle centres, so I kept the FA1 sideframes (added brass cab steps) but used the Lima belly tanks...

I didn't narrow the body as it just slips onto the chassis as it is, and narrowing the chassis would've been a LOT of work...

The livery is a bit of a mix & may not be 100% accurate, but I like it like that. Decals are 4mm scale.

locos007nz0.jpg

Now the failed attempt at a Class 22...

The body was cut & shortened from the 29 length to the 22. I didn't narrow it, again due to the chassis used; this hasn't helped the look of it at all, but also narrowing the body will create a lot of problems with the main windscreens I think. As it was these took some opening up with files to get closer to the proper shape. New roof panels (plasticard) and details fitted, including a rotating fan & etched grille (NOTE:- this is off-centre, like the Hymek & Westerns). New cosmetic sides were made (plasticard), windows cut out, and grilles added (more plasticard, scribed:- the picture flatters them. I couldn't find suitable etched brass grills). Buffers are Bachmann sprung oval types, the bogies have NEM coupler sockets(Kadee #18 will fit). The bufferbeam valences are still the wrong (Class 29) shape- they should be squarer. Headcode boxes are 4mm etched brass ones, wire handrails & new nose doors (yet more plasticard)...

It sits on a Mehano V160 chassis which has had the bogies moved in closer and the axle centres changed- the chassis design makes this easier than it sounds, though new driveshafts had to be made. It has a central motor, no flywheels, and only drives the two outer axles, so this loco won't even look at the rice pudding, let alone pull the skin off it...

Wheels are Hornby spoked wagon wheels, put on the Mehano axles. Bogie sideframes are scratchbuilt from guess what... (correct- even more plasticard icon_rolleyes.gif )... I never got round to the belly tanks, or glazing, or how to actually fix body & chassis together...

I lost heart with it because it still sits a bit high, both overall and body on chassis; is very noticeably too wide; and lacks traction...

locos005mb2.jpg

I've also done a Roco Class 11 in black, and got the Roco V60 chassis pending the Class 14 kit (IF it ever appears), and the British HO Society Pannier Tank kit... being my first attempt at whitemetal & etched brass, this has not gone well at all either...

Sorry to sound downbeat about it, but it's as well to be realistic about just what a challenge British HO really is... you can spend a fortune, and at the end of the day still end up with models that are to all intents & purposes worthless, as the vast majority of people just wouldn't buy them; they're the "wrong" scale !!!

Good Luck!!!

And the rest of you can stop laughing now...... icon_tongue.gif

??? posted on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:54 am

Thanks for the photos, F-Unit. I appreciate that you say that the pictures flatter your work, but I have to say that both your locos look rather smart to me. I don't think anyone who appreciates the effort that goes into this sort of thing will be laughing at all. Given what you've started with, I reckon folk would be quite impressed.

I'm certainly not looking to spend a fortune on these items of mine - quite the reverse - I'm looking for a cheap way back into the hobby, which is why I'm interested in a facet of modelling which lets me buy a running loco for ??????‚??5 or so! However, I'm quite prepared to spend a few quid on one or two detailing items, a can of paint, or new couplings, in order to develop my skills.

On the subject of couplings, the Kadees look very smart on your 33, although the Lima couplings would also look nice if they didn't stick out quite so far! Are the Kadees compatible with the coupling on Roco shunters or Fleischmann Bulleids, or would they, too, need to be converted (getting rather ahead of myself, I know)?

F-UnitMad wrote:

Sorry to sound downbeat about it, but it's as well to be realistic about just what a challenge British HO really is... you can spend a fortune, and at the end of the day still end up with models that are to all intents & purposes worthless, as the vast majority of people just wouldn't buy them; they're the "wrong" scale !!!

Not at all - it'll take more than that to get me downhearted. And I didn't realise that there was such a thing as the "wrong" scale - heterogeneity in all things, as a wise man once said!

Comment posted by F-UnitMad on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:39 pm

SteveK wrote:

Thanks for the photos, F-Unit. I appreciate that you say that the pictures flatter your work, but I have to say that both your locos look rather smart to me.

Thanks!

On the subject of couplings, the Kadees look very smart on your 33, although the Lima couplings would also look nice if they didn't stick out quite so far! Are the Kadees compatible with the coupling on Roco shunters or Fleischmann Bulleids, or would they, too, need to be converted (getting rather ahead of myself, I know)?

The Kadee #58s are 'scale size' versions of the standard #5- being smaller they look better on the smaller UK models- they are still fully compatible with the rest of the Kadee range, but I doubt they'd work with EU 'close-coupler' types...

I didn't realise that there was such a thing as the "wrong" scale

Without wishing to re-open the OO vs HO debate, the International "Rest of the World" scale of HO is out of step with the UK scale of 4mm=1foot... icon_rolleyes.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_tongue.gif icon_wink.gif

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:45 am

F-UnitMad wrote:

... the International "Rest of the World" scale of HO is out of step with the UK scale of 4mm=1foot...
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_tongue.gif
icon_wink.gif

Or the other way round icon_rolleyes.gif and so the wheel goes full-circle.

More seriously - on the question of 58#s - they don't fit NEM 362 do they? Also what about N gauge Kadees - would they be far too small?

Dave

Comment posted by F-UnitMad on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:11 pm

Kadee #58s fit the standard #5 draftgear box. I dont think they're available with NEM type 'prongs' to fit NEM boxes, if that's what NEM 362 is.

The problems with N scale Microtrains/Kadee couplings I would think are in the shank length being too short, and the problem of mounting height...

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:15 pm

F-UnitMad wrote:

Kadee #58s fit the standard #5 draftgear box. I dont think they're available with NEM type 'prongs' to fit NEM boxes, if that's what NEM 362 is.

The problems with N scale Microtrains/Kadee couplings I would think are in the shank length being too short, and the problem of mounting height...

Yes, I suppose the shank length would be problematic - thanks F-UnitMad.

Dave

Comment posted by F-UnitMad on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:24 pm

I found that the Kadee draftgear Box sat at just the right height if it was glued under the bufferbeam on Lima wagons, this meant filing a bit off the chassis moulding that the original coupler was mounted on, to just the same level as the bottom of the bufferbeam. I just glued it sticking forwards a bit (1mm) and got pretty close coupling but also the ability to negotiate 15" radius curves without buffers locking. Beats the pants off that awful continental hook&loop job, or tension-locks... icon_lol.gif icon_cool.gif

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:34 pm

Must admit, I like the look of Kadees. I've bought some 18#s to try out.

Mind you, at least the continental "hook&loop" was a much more subtle design than the "farmers gates" stuff stuck on the front of some of the British stuff (even today) icon_smile.gif .

Comment posted by Welly on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:23 pm

SteveK wrote:

A better look at the Playcraft/Jouef 21s here. To say that they're not exactly the last word in detail would be an understatement (I particularly like the large screws holding the body to the chassis!), but as I've said, they'll represent my first bash at modding in due course. And at well under a tenner per loco, I've nothing much to lose.

DSC00180.JPG

The sight of the screws!!1.gif1.gif1.gif

Seriously - good luck with your venture into British HO....

??? posted on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:51 am

Yes, I must ask F-Unit in due course how he managed to keep the bodies in place after blanking those off. They're quite something, aren't they? As I hinted before, the 33s look like a perfectly servicable model, as do the carriages, but if I can't improve the look of the 21s, they will have to be kept in a dark siding somewhere, where they can't frighten small children.

Seriously - good luck with your venture into British HO....

Thanks - I know I'm going to need it!

Comment posted by F-UnitMad on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:42 pm

I didn't... icon_redface.gif icon_frustrated.gif It was one of those bits that got left & left & then the project sort of died anyway... bear in mind it was a completely different chassis I used. I think I was planning to build up plasticard layers inside the noses to clip over the edge of the chassis, but I never got round to it... (yes I've heard the joke & seen the "Round Tuit" plate... icon_rolleyes.gif )

The 33 didn't have the body fixed either, but it was a pretty snug fit anyway. I just got in the habit of lifting them by the chassis- good practise anyway in my book...

??? posted on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:54 pm

Ah, an eminently practcal solution to an awkward, ugly problem!

Comment posted by Loricott on Wed May 07, 2008 2:33 pm

Hello SteveK and fellow modellers,

I am actively modelling in British HO. Some of my efforts are on a web page here:

http://web.mac.com/loricott/iWeb/Model%20railways/Welcome.html

Currently I am scratchbuilding a Class 47. The cab is ready and I am waiting for the first samples of a photoetched body to come back from the firm who is doing it for me. Much of my other stuff appeared on the British 1:87 journal.

It is true, there is little (if any) in the RTR scene. Also, most of the things (apart from the Class 66, the 'Gronk' and the 'Warship') are stone-age models, very crude. The nice side is that you can find them on eBay, they are usually cheap and you can cut them without worring too much. There are a few items available (mainly through the Society itself), but most of it would require extensive (scratch)building. If you have a look at the Journal index here:

http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/s ... ntents.htm

you'll see that in the last 2 years or so a number of models have been made/converted/adapted by the members. The latest things are a Deltic and a Class 21/22/29 (NBL Type 2). Some other motive power has been attempted, also steam. There is a 'Black V' kit and a few others.

Not much, but if you like building models, it might be very rewarding.

??? posted on Wed May 07, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi Loricott

Nice to know I'm not the only one interested in this subject. I'd like to get into kit-bashing in due course, but in the meantime, I've accumulated a modest collection of modified and unmodified RTR stuff. I've got a 33 and a couple of 21/29s, and a few MkII coaches bought at a toyfair. I also acquired an EE shunter and a decent collection of goods wagons from F-Unit of this parish, and am now also the proud owner of the modded Class 22 which you see a few posts up. You're right about the basic Jouef stuff being rather crude (although that almost didn't stop me buying a pack of 4 MkIs the other day!), but I reckon the Lima stock has a certain charm. Apart from the 33, their brake vans are like tiny works of art - well, nearly!

Kitwise, I'm tempted by the idea of making a Judith Edge 165DS into an 88DS R&H shunter, but I haven't got up the nerve just yet! I'd love to see what your Duff looks like when it's done - there's enough moaning about 4mm 47s, so maybe you could turn everyone over to 3.5mm if your model is sufficiently impressive...

Comment posted by Loricott on Wed May 07, 2008 10:27 pm

Well, this is what I have on my workbench now.

img1681ul6.th.jpg img0632qd5.th.jpg

The cab is home-cast resin, using a handmade plasticard master (same as the bogie side). The makeshift body is actually the printout of the etch drawing. The "dream" here (because there is still an awful lot of things to do) is to be able to make a small fleet.

Cheers

Comment posted by F-UnitMad on Thu May 08, 2008 7:13 am

SteveK wrote:

I've accumulated a modest collection of modified and unmodified RTR stuff.... an EE shunter and a decent collection of goods wagons from F-Unit of this parish,

Which means I'm now an ex-British HO modeller... icon_rolleyes.gif icon_redface.gif icon_lol.gif

Comment posted by m0rris on Sat May 10, 2008 2:11 pm

wowee that 21 is well, quite squat from the box, I have to say I would much rather go p4 than HO far less work than kitbuilding everything!

m0rris

Comment posted by Delichon on Mon May 19, 2008 12:02 pm

Thoughts inevitably turn to a certain Pullman unit with dubious riding qualities which ended its days carrying a simply hideous livery icon_twisted.gif ...

Not that one, this one icon_wave.gif :

file.php?id=15983

It is being built using Worsley etches, cut-down Hornby Mk 1 roof sections and Phoenix (4mm) trailer bogie castings. I have experienced some difficulties with assembling the etches - particularly the floor pans and solebars (not all the same depth icon_eek.gif ) - in fact, every car has a twisted floor, although it was still possible to get the body square. The cab doors were etched as part of the bodysides (presumably for strength), but some spare doors were provided on the fret - so after assembling the body I cut out the original doors and replaced them with the spares to obtain the correct recessed appearance. The Phoenix trailer bogies are actually the right wheelbase for the motor bogies in HO - however, cutting and shutting them for the trailer cars would have risked leaving the axles askew, so I have left them as is. The buffers are also Phoenix castings, again slimmed a little.

Comment posted by F-UnitMad on Mon May 19, 2008 4:01 pm

m0rris wrote:

wowee that 21 is well, quite squat from the box, I have to say I would much rather go p4 than HO far less work than kitbuilding everything!

m0rris

I did explain (somewhere! icon_redface.gif ) that it was still overwidth- I didn't narrow it as well as shorten it, as I'd have had to narrow the chassis too, a far more daunting task... yes, P4 might well be easier...

??? posted on Mon May 19, 2008 4:15 pm

You mean it's not a perfect 1:87 scale model? I want my money back!

Comment posted by F-UnitMad on Mon May 19, 2008 4:19 pm

icon_clap.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif Nice try... I chucked that one in free... icon_tongue.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_wave.gif

??? posted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:08 am

If anyone has any thoughts of dabbling in British HO scale, now is a good time to get a bargain. Gaugemaster are selling off the Fleischmann Warships, in both green and blue versions, for ??44.95, which is half what I've seen them for anywhere else, and about ??75.00 off the RRP. They are also offering the matching Bulleid carriages for ??14.95, which again is at least ??10 cheaper than I've previously seen them.

You'll not be at all surprised to learn that I tried to resist buying a Warship, but failed miserably. Pictures in due course!

Comment posted by scaro on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:30 pm

If you're not into a bargain, a brass manufacturer did the 'Flying Scotsman' in HO for the Australian market a few years ago. I am sure it commands a premium price when it turns up. The Flying Scotsman, of course, being a prototype Aussie locomotive.

They haven't done its Aussie prototype sister 'Pendennis Castle' yet though. icon_wink.gif

I think DJH did the ROD 2-8-0 in HO at some point in white metal (they were used in the Newcastle coalfields north of Sydney.)

An HO scale XPT (an Australianised HST /125 thingy) has been made by Hanovale for a number of years.

I am sure it can be kitbashed back to a 125.

http://www2.nmit.vic.edu.au/~david/emrc2/xpt/xpts.htm

Ben

??? posted on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:42 pm

Thanks for that link, Ben - an HST might be an interesting HO project, and most of the conversion from the XPT seems to involve filling holes in (at least as far as the cab ends are concerned), so it probably wouldn't be too hard to make something passable. The Hanovale carriages look like Mk2s, rather than Mk3s, but again, that would probably be fixable. And at A$88 per unit, that's about the same price as my bargain Warship, although I'm sure that postage might add a lttle more...

Comment posted by scaro on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:50 pm

The funny thing was a few years ago before the Hanovale kit became available, a few NSW modellers went to considerable effort to cut down, shorten, modify and reassemble the Lima OO HST as a NSW HO XPT for an exhibition layout.

Apparently for all their efforts, everyone just thought it was a Lima repaint . . .

Comment posted by Pigs on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:23 am

F-UnitMad wrote:

Heljan's original plans were, I reckon, the last time British HO will be contemplated commercially, and that opportunity has now long gone...

IIRC, they were asked by the British H0 Society to produce an RTR 37.

They did some serious market research, and promptly went for 4mm scale.

That is, I think, the economic reality.

Now if Lima had persevered with H0, and if Palitoy and Airfix had worked in H0 rather than 00, then Triang-Rovex-Hornby might have been forced to change. But remember, the latter do not sell just trains, but in the 70s (at least) were responsible for a whole lot of other ranges including slot cars, dolls etc, which made toy shops and toy departments a lot of money (the profits from which probably get the railways side going for a few years - toy and model departments in large stores were far more important to the hobby back then). No toy shop/department was going to risk taking an alternative brand which would be incompatible with the existing brand name which also made them money from other ranges, and anyone trying H0 would have found it hard to sell such an idea to the stores - many of which were still local rather than chain stores. Let me be clear that I am not impugning any dirty tricks type behaviour on the part of what is now Hornby Hobbies, merely stating the reality: British H0 might have appealed more to the hobbyist, but it is toy train sales (sets and other components) which drove things back then (if not now), and everything had to be compatible with what was already around: Lima H0 failed as much because it had the wrong couplings as well as being the wrong size when placed next to existing 00 stock. It was incompatible then, H0 would be now.

It is extremely unlikely to happen: in lean times, who would risk the major investment? In fatter times, there is easier money to be made in 4mm scale.

I think the OP, indeed anyone who is wondering what scale to follow, needs to ask himself some simple questions:

Do I want to build a model railway based on what is readily available, or do I want to work in a specific scale and accept that if it isn't one of those where lots is already available, then I will have to make more for myself?

The quality of the end result will simply reflect the commitment to the project (see time and place) and the care of the work put into it. The quantity of the output may reflect the scale chosen, but then again, it may not...

For the majority, if you are a builder, then existing scales offer more kits and parts, and if an operator, then they offer more trains to play with. For the committed builder/operator, then even an oddball scale has great medium-long term potential. It depends on what you want now... or maybe next year. icon_wink.gif

??? posted on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:39 am

Well, as the OP, let me respond. While I wouldn't call myself a "committed builder/operator" (not yet, anyway!), I am enjoying the process of slowly accumulating stock which, while a bit unusual, is extremely cheap. So far, I have a couple of 21/29s (plus another one converted by F-Unit into a 22), a 33, a Roco shunter, some mkII carriages and nearly 20 items of goods stock. Oh, and a bargain Warship on the way! So stuff is available, though not a great range (not in RTR, anyhow - there are some lovely steam engines in kit form), but that maybe helps me keep focussed. Basically, for now, I'll be heading, like it or not, for a transition-era diesel layout set in the Western region. As it happens, I quite like that scenario, not least because I have the perfect name for such a layout*.

And if a certain RMwebber makes more than 1 of his 'HO' Duffs, he may well find a willing buyer for any spare ones going!

It's not that I have committed my life to 'HO', it's more a case of going down a route slightly less travelled, but interesting in its own right (from a historical perspective, if nothing else). I may try my hand at this 'HO' malarky, and then decide after a while that I have different plans, and it's a bit restricive, so go on to something else entirely. Maybe I'll go for a Mehano-based modern container depot in 'TT'! Have you seen their new stuff? Must... resist...

* Yes, it really will be called "Westward HO".

Comment posted by Loricott on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:57 am

SteveK wrote:

And if a certain RMwebber makes more than 1 of his 'HO' Duffs, he may well find a willing buyer for any spare ones going!

OK, OK, I got the message icon_biggrin.gif I just finished putting a new tiled floor in my cellar, so now I have a clean place for my workbench, where to cast resin parts. I have a brass photoetched body for a 47/0 and I am about to begin bashing a motorisation for it, starting from --- guess what --- a Mehano SD-40.

In due course, there will be a full article on my home page with all relevant informations and part sources. As I said, I don't promise a kit, but... icon_wink.gif who knows?

??? posted on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:07 am

Ha ha! Sorry, Lorenzo, I was only having a bit of fun - I saw that you were browsing the forum, and wondered if I could get you to post something here. Seriously, I have nothing but admiration for someone who can imagine a project like your 47 and then create it from nothing!

Comment posted by Loricott on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:48 am

SteveK wrote:

Ha ha! Sorry, Lorenzo, I was only having a bit of fun - I saw that you were browsing the forum, and wondered if I could get you to post something here. Seriously, I have nothing but admiration for someone who can imagine a project like your 47 and then create it from nothing!

Oh, but I am absolutely serious! icon_biggrin.gif I must be able to produce more than one, *** I *** want more than one 47. And given that I cannot remember what I did in the last project, writing it down in an easy-to-follow form is the only chance for me to do repeatable things. Seriously, I dearly want to finish it, and hopefully now I am going to have a bit more time.

Stay tuned. icon_wink.gif

??? posted on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:11 pm

The postman brought a parcel today, and I thought I'd share my new acquisition with you all. It's D821 "Greyhound", in all-over green, and a solid little thing it is, too. Without having a real 42 to compare it with, my first impression is that it's a pretty faithful model of the prototype. OK, so the drivers in the cab look like they're wearing wetsuits, but you can't have everything!

file.php?id=32909

file.php?id=32910

file.php?id=32911

There is an odd switch on the bottom of one bogie which, in the words of the accompanying booklet, teams up with contact unit 6402 to "perform electrical switching functions". But what does what? Does the loco send signals to the track, or vice versa? If anyone has any Fleischmann stock with a similar contact switch, I'd love to know what this is for.

Overall, though, for ??44.95, I'm quite chuffed.

Comment posted by F-UnitMad on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:46 pm

Way to go, Steve!!! Congrats on finding those bargain Warships- I'm sure you've beaten the second-hand price at Tennants too... icon_thumbsup2.gif

Comment posted by pacific231k on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:30 pm

Steve K wrote:

There is an odd switch on the bottom of one bogie which, in the words of the accompanying booklet, teams up with contact unit 6402 to "perform electrical switching functions". But what does what? Does the loco send signals to the track, or vice versa? If anyone has any Fleischmann stock with a similar contact switch, I'd love to know what this is for.

Is it a kind of sprung plunger that looks vaguely like it could be a third rail pick up?

I've got an fairly ancient Fleischmann SNCF 040D that has one of these and it would activate the contact unit 6402 that looks like this

file.php?id=32976

This would detect the loco and trigger an automatic function such as an automatic station stop, shuttle reverse etc. I don't know if it worked by making an electrical circuit directly or by pushing down a treadle to operate a microswitch. Useful if you want loads of trains circling a bowl of spaghetti otherwise probably not.

David

Comment posted by pacific231k on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:13 pm

DaveGeo wrote:

Must admit, I like the look of Kadees. I've bought some 18#s to try out.

Mind you, at least the continental "hook&loop" was a much more subtle design than the "farmers gates" stuff stuck on the front of some of the British stuff (even today)
icon_smile.gif

Dave

Ever since I started modelling in HOe and then HO and HOm I've loathed the "European standard coupling" with a deep passion. They are reluctant to couple, even more reluctant to uncouple and have a nasty habit of jamming completely especially when the manufacturers' interpretation of the standard (NEM360) they're supposed to follow varies so wildly. Their only virtue that I can see is to make the fairly nasty "Triang" hook and bar coupling seem good in comparison. The Australians call them "dunny seat couplers" and that pretty well sums them up. They were originally introduced by Marklin and somehow got picked up by MOROP as a standard. I'm convinced that they're one of the main reasons why operations that involve shunting, rather than just running complete trains round and round, have been relatively rare amongst modellers in continental Europe. Fortunately the later NEM362 that introduced a standard coupling box (about forty years after the NMRA did the same) makes it fairly easy on newer models to replace them with something better (especially Kadees) though retrofitting older stock is still a pain.

??? posted on Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:43 pm

pacific231k wrote:

I wrote:

There is an odd switch on the bottom of one bogie which, in the words of the accompanying booklet, teams up with contact unit 6402 to "perform electrical switching functions". If anyone has any Fleischmann stock with a similar contact switch, I'd love to know what this is for.

Is it a kind of sprung plunger that looks vaguely like it could be a third rail pick up?

I've got an fairly ancient Fleischmann SNCF 040D that has one of these and it would activate the contact unit 6402... this would detect the loco and trigger an automatic function such as an automatic station stop, shuttle reverse etc. I don't know if it worked by making an electrical circuit directly or by pushing down a treadle to operate a microswitch.

Thanks, David - that seems to go along with the very vague drawing on the leaflet. When I finally have a layout, it might be something worth investigating further.

F-Unit wrote:

Congrats on finding those bargain Warships- I'm sure you've beaten the second-hand price at Tennants too...

Cheers, Jordan - it would have been rude to say no at that price, wouldn't it?

Comment posted by Loricott on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi, I just wanted to update you about the scratch-built Class 47. Here you see a couple of pictures of the current status. Basically, it begins to look like a proper locomotive icon_biggrin.gif

Here the primed body, still with quite a lot of filling and sanding to be done:

47bodytx8.th.jpg

here the body suspended over the mechanically ready underframe:

47ensemblepi8.th.jpg

and here a quick glimpse of the cosmetic bogie side, cast in resin, against the real bogie.

47bogievd9.th.jpg

Before you say it: yes, I know, the pictures are ugly, but it's all I could do today icon_wink.gif

??? posted on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:26 pm

Loricott wrote:

Hi, I just wanted to update you about the scratch-built Class 47. Here you see a couple of pictures of the current status. Basically, it begins to look like a proper locomotive.

Before you say it: yes, I know, the pictures are ugly, but it's all I could do today.

Not at all, Lorenzo - from your pictures, your work looks comparable with anything from Silver Fox; very nice indeed!

By the way, is that a Lima 33 receiving your attention in the background? If so, have you made the famous Y-shaped cuts in the ends, or are you happy that it is a bit fat?!

Comment posted by Loricott on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:39 pm

SteveK wrote:

Loricott wrote:

Hi, I just wanted to update you about the scratch-built Class 47. Here you see a couple of pictures of the current status. Basically, it begins to look like a proper locomotive.

Before you say it: yes, I know, the pictures are ugly, but it's all I could do today.

Not at all, Lorenzo - from your pictures, your work looks comparable with anything from Silver Fox; very nice indeed!

By the way, is that a Lima 33 receiving your attention in the background? If so, have you made the famous Y-shaped cuts in the ends, or are you happy that it is a bit fat?!

Hi Steve, thanks a lot!

Yes, it's a 33 and, yes, it has been cut. Actually, I made it exactly 29mm inside --- which is just a bit too narrow for the Life-Like FB2 I wanted to use to repower it icon_cry.gif Now I think I will use a couple of Black Beetles for this particular one and I will keep the FB2 for one of the other six 33s I have in store, waiting for the workshop.

??? posted on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:44 pm

I won't post this question in "Help and Advice", mainly because I don't want to advertise my ignorance to everyone!

I'm building, slowly, a bit of a collection of British HO stuff, and my thoughts are actually looking ahead to layout planning. I have a region in mind (Western), which is pretty much suggested by the available stock, in any case, and I'm trying to make sure I get the period right. The stock I have also narrows my choices somewhat, but that's fine, because the green/blue period, just pre-TOPS, is what interests me most in any case. In fact, most of my stuff (Warship, class 21/22/29, Mk1 carriages, various goods wagons) could fit in anywhere from the early 60s to about 1971. However, I do seem to have few Lima Mk2 coaches, and I don't want to lose the chance to use them, so my question is this:

Just which version of the Mk2 is represented by these models? I'm guessing B or C, but I'd like to be sure. If it's the latter, I'm restricting myself to a 12-month period beginning mid-1971! If the coaches are 2Bs, I could maybe go back into the 1960s, if I have my facts straight.

Can anyone put me right on this?

Comment posted by Giz on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:47 pm

From what I remember of the HO Lima Mk2s (I used to have a couple but gave them away) they were the same type as the later 00 models, which were definately Mk2Bs.

In any case, generally the external difference between a Mk2B and 2C was in the roof area although the later ones had Mk2D type toilet windows.

??? posted on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:57 pm

Thanks, Gary - that being the case, I now have a slightly larger window for my modelling period...

Comment posted by Adrian Wintle on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:18 pm

One of my local hobby shops (Hornet Hobbies http://hornethobbies.supersites.ca/ ) just got in a rather large estate collection. Included in that were a Rivarossi Royal Scot and 5 matching LMS coaches in HO.

Adrian

Comment posted by Il Grifone on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:44 pm

Adrian Wintle wrote:

One of my local hobby shops (Hornet Hobbies
) just got in a rather large estate collection. Included in that were a Rivarossi Royal Scot and 5 matching LMS coaches in HO.

Adrian

Good models, but built to Rivarossi's usual scale for their European stock of (elastic) 1/80. I believe the width is about 1/76 (just to get the valve gear and overscale wheels in) - which is where we came in. (Incidently Rivarossi placed their buffers at 3.5mm spacing, which didn't help with overscale width!)

??? posted on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:32 pm

A milestone today as, even though I don't have a reall layout yet, I was able to give all my HO stock (ancient and modern!) a test run, by laying out a small circuit of cheap Underground Ernie track. As test track goes, it's ideal - easy to assemble, and designed to be plonked on the carpet.

The Fleischmann Warship ran like a dream (after a couple of heart-stopping "why isn't it moving?" minutes!), as did the Roco shunter. The Lima class 33 didn't really like crawling, but ran OK at speed, while the Jouef/Playcraft "things" were, to be fair, little sods. I think I've sorted that problem with an ingenious solution, though: double heading! By doubling the number of pickups, motors, and driving wheels, the combo ran very nicely.

I'm not sure they're quite ready for the "How realistic are you models" thread, all the same:

file.php?id=58034

Comment posted by keefer on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:36 am

SteveK wrote:

Just which version of the Mk2 is represented by these models? I'm guessing B or C, but I'd like to be sure. If it's the latter, I'm restricting myself to a 12-month period beginning mid-1971! If the coaches are 2Bs, I could maybe go back into the 1960s, if I have my facts straight.

sorry for a belated contribution to an ancient post, but i'd not seen this thread before icon_redface.gif

i got the HO set of blue cl.33 D6524+FK+TSO+BFK with a circle of track, battery controller, for christmas 1976

i still remember the numbers - W5449 for the TSO, W13493 for the FK and W16084 for the BFK

now, the first two are prototypically accurate (there's even a BR phot of the FK in Marsden's 'Rolling Stock Recognition: 1 Coaching stock' (Ian Allen 1983) p.37), but why did they go for a ficticious number for the BFK? even worse, ISTR there was a '2' on the passenger door next to the guard's door, but the yellow stripe was over all four compt. windows.

but they were defo mk2b - no centre doors for the TSO/FK, 'normal' size toilet windows with top ventilators and lots of the 'normal' rounded vents on the roofs.

mk2c coaches had fewer, flattened vents on the roof, rectangular hatches at each end (where the a/c eqpt. was supposed to go) and square, unvented toilet windows, a la mk2d

i can still remember playing with this train at the time - it was soon augmented by some straight track into an oval and eventually had a siding! (although the lima point was a it shorter so joins were a bit 'wonky' and it was 'live' which ever way you set it - sort of electro-plastic-frog!

i had it for a few years hence, generally got painted and mucked about with, but i wish i still had it now as was - my first train set! icon_cry.gif icon_lol.gif

Comment posted by shortliner on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:05 am

Steve - not sure if I have mentioned this before, but on the MTI forum http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/index.php?sid ... 1b1a3d9e0a , you will find Giles B who has done some layout building in British HO in the past, and might be worth contacting.

Comment posted by Il Grifone on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:31 am

keefer wrote:

i can still remember playing with this train at the time - it was soon augmented by some straight track into an oval and eventually had a siding! (although the lima point was a it shorter so joins were a bit 'wonky' and it was 'live' which ever way you set it - sort of electro-plastic-frog!

The Lima point was engineered to give a straight path through the crossing (possibly the only commercial R-T-R point to have this desirable feature). This required a special rail to compensate, half curve - half straight and available in left and right hand. Pity about the vicious 360mm radius. I had to scrap a layout designed using Lima track (I was in Italy at the time and it was all that was easily available - you can't even get that now! icon_sad.gif ) due to derailment problems on the curves even using Lima stock. (Their lovely DSB Mz1400 - I have two of these and a M???’?‚?¤rkl???’?‚?¬n My on the chassis of another.)

This one http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/dk/die ... dsb_mz.gif http://cgi.ebay.de/Lima-H0-Wechselstrom ... 4002r28840

Mine are DC though AC really is a pain in the ....! icon_confused.gif Sorry for thread hi-jack. icon_redface.gif

EDIT for dyslexia icon_redface.gif

??? posted on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:42 pm

shortliner wrote:

Steve - not sure if I have mentioned this before, but on the MTI forum
, you will find Giles B who has done some layout building in British HO in the past, and might be worth contacting.

Thanks, Jack - that's certainly a useful contact for the future, when I get beyond collecting old rolling stock, and get the time/space/cash to do something with it!

Comment posted by Loricott on Sat May 16, 2009 10:25 pm

Hello fellow modellers,

here is a reasonably recent update on my Class 47 project.

img1623.th.jpgimg1624.th.jpgimg1625.th.jpg

I brought this to the 2009 AGM of the British 1:87 Society, along with a set of spares to build a second one. It won the Malcom Carlsson Award icon_biggrin.gif and I sold the spares to a fellow Society member. I am planning to make another one or two sets (if I manage to find the time icon_wink.gif ).

Cheers

Lorenzo

__________________________________________</FONT>

??? posted on Wed May 20, 2009 7:28 am

Beautiful work, Lorenzo. I'm really impressed.

May I ask how you've done the bogies? Are they your own design, or have you adapted something from another model?

Comment posted by Loricott on Wed May 20, 2009 8:19 am

SteveK wrote:

Beautiful work, Lorenzo. I'm really impressed.

May I ask how you've done the bogies? Are they your own design, or have you adapted something from another model?

Hi Steve,

the bogies are a marriage between a home cast resin cosmetic side and the mechanics of a Mehano SD-40, whose bogie wheelbase is amost correct --- actually, there is an error of 1.6mm overall. I made the cosmetic side master with some plasticard, milliput and brass parts, and sized it to be 100% correct for a Class 47 bogie, in case one day I manage to make (or find) a correctly sized Class 47 bogie mechanic. The cosmetic sides have two points where they can be cut and extended/compressed to exactly fit the mechanic at hand.

The motor and the cardan shafts come as well from the Mehano unit, and have been shortened just a bit (the SD-40 is about 10mm longer than a 47). As a donor, the Mehano SD-40 is good because almost all of it is made of plastic, so you can cut and hack it on the kitchen table. The running qualities are questionable and vary very much from model to model: I have two at home and they behave completely different. If I ever make another Class 47, I'd rather go for a Kato SD-40 underframe. Of course, being made of solid metal, it requires a bit more of machining and tooling.

I'll post soon other pictures with the front parts fitted with lights and markers.

By the way, this particular machine is going to be 47 484 "Isambard Kingdom Brunel".

Comment posted by roythebus on Sat May 23, 2009 4:04 pm

I did make a start on a class 20 a few years ago in plasticard, but got beaten by the cab!

Many years ago I worked in the old OOSCALE model shop in York Way, king's Cross; in the bottom of a cupboard there was a set of 5 HO LMS panelled coaches, reputedly built by either Simon Kelly, their resident coach builder or Hamblings. There was also a rivarossi Scot in stock.

Speaking to Charlie Skelton of W&H Models at a toy fair many years later, we discussed British HO. His point was: take a country like Belgium. Fleishlin or Markmann makes a HO model of the latest Belgian diesel; it sells 20,000 all round the world because it's in HO, and people all round the world collect HO, not just modeller. Hornby make a new 47. It sells 1,000 in Britain, virtually none in the rest of the world. People do not collect 00. It's the wrong size! So, that was the lesson in the economics of mass-produced HO vs mass-produced 00.

It's a bit like the late Barry Harper of the MRC. He made some superb Swiss models in 4mm/ft/EM gauge in the 60's and 70's. Why? Because he liked Swiss railways and didn't want to buy anything off the shelf. It was all rather academic, as most people thought they were proprietary models anyway! When he passed away, I'm told there was a heck of a problem disposing of this stock, beautiful as it was, as nobody, but nobody, collected 4mm/EM Swiss stuff!

I know some of the people involved in importying the Japanese LMS Crabs back in the 1960's. The importer, Adur Valley models IIRC would not supply them as they were not trade. So they started the Maida Vale model company, mainly because they met in Maida Vale and because their liking for beer!

Anyway, good luck to the OP for doing British HO. If you go modern, there's a lot of continental stuff around that's seen over here these days; loads of cars, buildings, and lorries too.

Comment posted by allegheny1600 on Sun May 24, 2009 12:18 am

Hi all,

Sorry that I too am very late to this post but I have just now (for the past hour+!) read all the postings! I have an interest in British H0 simply as I have a fair collection of US and European H0 stuff, it all matches up and it all runs on the same track gauge! Wheras my 00 stock just looks too 'narrow gauge' unless I only look at it from below and to the side of the track.

Anyway, I have to promote the British H0 Society as they do offer support and information to the modeller, not least the availability of all the incidental scenic items that can be used on a British H0 layout - the Brawa telephone box, Prieser people, (some) parts, decals etc and all for just ??????‚??12 per year.

roythebus wrote:

Anyway, good luck to the OP for doing British HO. If you go modern, there's a lot of continental stuff around that's seen over here these days; loads of cars, buildings, and lorries too.

Roythebus beat me to this: there is now quite a fair range of authentic road vehicles also available from the usual suspects, some are British outline or British Liveries but Rietze are now doing geniune RHD vehicles (to my knowledge; Seddon Atkinson Strato, Ford escort estate) & so are Brekina; BEAUTIFUL Morris Minor and Rover P6 (3500).

What I keep waiting for (not holding my breath!) is for one or more of the big Euro boys to bring out (accurate) models of some of the British types that have been working abroad in recent times: classes 20, 37, 56 & 58 and even 87. Unfortunately none of these has (yet) regularly worked in Germany or Austria which would possibly have helped matters!

Until this happens, I shall give my UK H0 stuff (2 x Mehano 66 & 1 x Roco '08') the occasional run out and keep dreaming of my own modern West Country based stone quarry with 'scratch-bashed' gondola type wagons!

Good luck to all the rest of you guys plugging away with UK H0!

John E.

Comment posted by Loricott on Sun May 24, 2009 11:21 am

allegheny1600 wrote:

What I keep waiting for (not holding my breath!) is for one or more of the big Euro boys to bring out (accurate) models of some of the British types that have been working abroad in recent times: classes 20, 37, 56 & 58 and even 87. Unfortunately none of these has (yet) regularly worked in Germany or Austria which would possibly have helped matters!

Until this happens, I shall give my UK H0 stuff (2 x Mehano 66 & 1 x Roco '08') the occasional run out and keep dreaming of my own modern West Country based stone quarry with 'scratch-bashed' gondola type wagons!

Good luck to all the rest of you guys plugging away with UK H0!

John E.

The Class 87 might be feasible. After all, there are some makers that in the past did similar things for similar niche markets, like Fuggert and the V43 electrics: http://www.modell.hu/showproduct.php?cat=modellvasutak&id=2370744430059. Anyway, if the gondolas you are thinking about are the Seacow/Sealion aggregate hoppers, they might be closer to reality that you think icon_biggrin.gif (read: it is a project already on my workbench and, not involving a motorisation, a kit is very much feasible).

Lorenzo

Comment posted by frobisher on Sun May 24, 2009 2:53 pm

Loricott wrote:

The Class 87 might be feasible.

Given the real thing has gne to Romania and some of the 86s may be heading to Europe in the near future as well, I'd say there must be a chance of one of the manufacturers taking a look at these two (given their considerable commonality).

No idea if any manufacturer actually does RTR Romanian stock of course... Ooh, Tillig are doing a Romanian loco it seems (http://www.reynaulds.com/catalog/dept_388.aspx) so you never know!

??? posted on Fri May 29, 2009 10:22 am

Just for a change, there's been a bit of activity on this thread over the last couple of days, but of course, there have been some unforeseen problems affecting the whole board, which the Mod team are striving to fix, and the last half-dozen posts have vanished. In case some of the "lost" posts do reappear (and also, TBH, because life's just too short!), I'll not even attempt to replicate what was written, but a couple of useful things were mentioned which bear repeating.

Firstly, I name-checked a couple of lesser-known manufacturers of 1:87 road vehicles, some of whose products may be of particular interest to the British HO modeller. These are Ricko, whose models of the BMW Dixi (AKA Austin 7), MG TF and MG 7 (ZT in English) are very nice, if not exactly cheap, and Brekina, who produce, among other things, a Morris Minor and a Rover P6 - beautiful models available in right-hand drive!

Secondly, when I mentioned in passing that, at ??45, my Fleischmann Warship was easily the most expensive item I'd bought, Claude Dreyfus of this parish came back with the news that Gaugemaster have obtained more stock of these items, and are offering them, in green or blue, for ??24.95. I hardly need to say just how stupidly cheap this is. The RRP on these locos was ??115-??125, depending on where you looked, and until fairly recently, no discounts of any kind were easy to find. It seems almost an anti-climax to add that matching Bulleid carriages are available at ??9.95 from the same supplier, but with an RRP of ??31.00 or thereabouts, these are bargains, too!

Incidentally, don't be put off by the rather metallic-looking colours of the Warships on Gaugemasters pages - the models themselves are far more like the real thing.

Comment posted by DavidBelcher on Fri May 29, 2009 2:34 pm

frobisher wrote:

Loricott wrote:

The Class 87 might be feasible.

Given the real thing has gne to Romania and some of the 86s may be heading to Europe in the near future as well, I'd say there must be a chance of one of the manufacturers taking a look at these two (given their considerable commonality).

No idea if any manufacturer actually does RTR Romanian stock of course... Ooh, Tillig are doing a Romanian loco it seems (
) so you never know!

Has any H0 maker (kit or RTR) ever had a go at one of the EE Bo-Bo electrics that were built for Poland in the 60s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PKP_class_EU06)? That would offer a realistic bashing project to create an AL3 (though the EU06 seems to have been more successful and longer-lived than its 25kV cousin)!

David

??? posted on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:30 pm

DavidBelcher wrote:

Has any H0 maker (kit or RTR) ever had a go at one of the EE Bo-Bo electrics that were built for Poland in the 60s (
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)? That would offer a realistic bashing project to create an AL3 (though the EU06 seems to have been more successful and longer-lived than its 25kV cousin)!

I don't know what the model scene is like in Poland, but none of the obvious manufacturers seem to produce Polish stuff. I could try asking my Polish friend at work to take a look when he goes ome in the summer...

A brief update on the availability of British HO - I noticed at the DEMU show that Judith Edge are now able to produce their 0-4-0 Sentinel in 3.5mm. Must... resist...

On the subject of resisting, I didn't manage to last much more than a week with all those cheap Warships on offer. A loco with matching rake of coaches is now winging its way to me. At this rate, I'll have to make a layout to house all my stock... yikes!