1980s Scotrail MK3s south of the border

elydock

The 80s is now a long time ago and my memory of that time is getting hazier. However, I’m sure that I can remember seeing a 47 hauled train going south on the ECML at Hitchin that had a random selection of Scotrail liveried MK3s along with a motley selection of blue grey MK2/3s. Can anyone remember the Scotrail MK3s occasionally coming south of the border? I assume this was when they were short of stock.

From early 1989 onwards some Mk3s started heading for refurbishment prior to transfer to WCML and East Anglia services and this could have been such a working.. They were replaced by WCML IC liveried Mk3s or Mk2 air-con stock due to delays with the introductio of the class 158s  Cant imagine this was a revenue earning service as when in use the Mk3s were heavily diagrammed and Scotland would not have allowed them off region if possible.

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
Edited for correction of details

I’ve had good fun tonight trawling the internet for off area Scotrail coaches. I’ve found plenty of MK2s (both aircon and early PV) down in the West Country but it has to be this photo from Andy Bright of 47617 University of Stirling which appears to have taken a Scotrail MK3 for a day out down south as it heads back north at Stoke Gifford 30/08/86. Permission by Andy for his photo to be used.

So I know they escaped south of the border, just need to find a photo of one on the southern section of the ECML now.

C73691A9-C6D9-456B-8FCA-1042D469F03D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Don't forget that 5813 was the sole Polmadie based Mk2E TSO that received ScotRail and was used on the Glasgow/Edinburgh to Plymouth/Penzance cross-country services. So quite a few photos will be of this particular coach.

The diagram also included services to Poole and Harwich but the Harwich train went West Coast to Watford and then via the North London lines to Stratford and thence to Ilford etc. (so not via the East Coast).

The Mk3a at Chesterfield states in the text that it was working back to Scotland after being converted to a composite at Derby Litchurch Lane.

Edited by Flood

14 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

I have a picture of blue and grey early Mk2 with the white Scotrail lettering at Bristol.

Page one on this thread

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/160463-

Cheers

Steve

Apologies but your link doesn't appear to work, it just loads in the home page rather than a topic. I think you've missed a bit off the end after the dash.

Regards, B.

45 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

Apologies but your link doesn't appear to work, it just loads in the home page rather than a topic. I think you've missed a bit off the end after the dash.

Regards, B.

Apologies, my ham-fisted computer skills. The above should work. The picture is someway down page 1 and features peaks at BTM.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Apologies, my ham-fisted computer skills. The above should work. The picture is someway down page 1 and features peaks at BTM.

Its so easily done, thanks for sorting it though - many interesting things to be found through your link so much appreciated. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/10/2021 at 15:41, Flood said:

Don't forget that 5813 was the sole Polmadie based Mk2E TSO that received ScotRail and was used on the Glasgow/Edinburgh to Plymouth/Penzance cross-country services. So quite a few photos will be of this particular coach.

Presumably like this one taken at Gloucester, August 1985 (scanned from the 110 format negative):

DSC00419.JPG.99a3b7d29b8c1aefeca0e305d4d0e958.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 20/10/2021 at 15:41, Flood said:

The diagram also included services to Poole and Harwich but the Harwich train went West Coast to Watford and then via the North London lines to Stratford and thence to Ilford etc. (so not via the East Coast).

Are you sure about the route for the Harwich train? The European (Glasgow and Edinburgh to Harwich PQ) went via Sheffield, Nottingham and Peterborough.

Andi 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Are you sure about the route for the Harwich train? The European (Glasgow and Edinburgh to Harwich PQ) went via Sheffield, Nottingham and Peterborough.

Andi 

What stock/formation would the Harwich train usually be? (Is there the vague excuse for me to justify the scotrail mk3 that's been in the box all these years on a GEML layout?!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

What stock/formation would the Harwich train usually be? (Is there the vague excuse for me to justify the scotrail mk3 that's been in the box all these years on a GEML layout?!)

Data from 27/3/86

Northbound, 47435, 5882, 5753,  17139, 5901, 1842, 5825, 5832, 17171, 5813, 5820

Southbound, 47448, 5802, 5884, 17151, 5830, 5903, 1863, 5826, 5891, 17128, 5786

Data from the survey we did, shared here 

Hope that helps

Andi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Andi 

I must admit Andi that I only checked winter 1987. I was pretty sure I'd seen photos at Sheffield before so I just checked the timetables and it went, as you say, via Sheffield, Nottingham and Peterborough (as The European) until May 1987 when it was routed via Watford Junction and also lost the train name.

From May 1988 it had gone completely. The 07.30 Aberdeen - Plymouth was retimed to start at 08.45 so this took the path of the previous years Harwich.

The train was booked as below from 1987 but coach shortages may have left it one TSO less.

1031802934_GlasgowEdinburghtoHarwich1987.jpg.c513c4b2e19b646a8ec814867955985f.jpg

AC2D = aircon TSO

AB1D =Mk2D BFK

AJ41 = Mk1 RBR

As can be seen from Andi's records it was booked for a Mk1 RMB in 1986.

• Like 2