Bachmann Collett Goods with DCC Ready fitted - CV settings?

JST

I have bought one of these "DCC ON Board" (fitted with a Bachmann decoder) locos from eBay and am generally very pleased with it. It runs smoothly with no high spots on the gearing. I had to run it in as it was one of these locos that someone bought but clearly didn't use much.

The only slight issue I have with it is the acceleration curve. I have set CV3 to 30 but it still accretes on a sharp curve. By this I mean it starts off very slowly but then speeds up very quickly to cruise speed. Altering CV3 makes the time  it takes to get to cruise speed longer but it is the slow bit that gets longer and it still accelerates too quickly. I don't know if it affects anything but CV2 was set to 10 and I altered it to 2.

Does anyone have any suggestions for CV settings that may improve things or do I just bin the Bachmann decoder and fit a Zimo?

Depending on which Bachmann it is, it may alreday by a Zimo decoder :)

Look at CV6 which should be set around 2/3 of CV5 for a linear speed profile, play around with it to make the 'curve' appear more like you want it to be. Lowering the value shoould make the acceleration from stop to mid-speed slower, raising it should make the acceleration to mid speed faster

2 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Read back CV8 on the loco to determine the maker of the decoder.  Bachmann have used several different makers over the years, and how to adjust them varies.  

I am sure CV8 just said "Bachmann" but I will have another look.

Cv5 sets the maximum speed for the loco and you should set this to be representative of the prototype loco - you don’t want to model hurtling along at 250mph!

once you have the max speed set then play with CV6 to get the sort of response that you want.