Ex LMS dining car M34M - what diagram?

Roger Sunderland

• RMweb Premium

Please can somebody help here. I have a partial photo of an LMS 12 wheel dining car in a Liverpool/Newcastle service around 1963 . The caption says it is M34M but I 

have failed to find which diagram this is, having Googled it and trying to see if Comet do a kit for it. Anybody throw any light on it please?

• RMweb Premium

According to Jenkinson & Essery's LMS Coaches, no 34 was a Period 2 First class Kitchen/Dining car of LMS design, probably to either Diagram D1718 or D1810, but without knowing its pre 1932/3 number, it's difficult to narrow it down any further.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, you are correct. I don’t believe Comet do a diagram 1900 12 wheel dining car kit. Does anybody have any pictures, or a plan of the sides? Alternatively what are the differences between a diagram 1900 and say a 1901 or 1902 which Comet do do?

Sincere apologies.

Roger, there IS a drawing in the book .......... being First class, it's different from Dia.1901 - and having a kitchen, it's different from Dia.1902 ........................... try an e-mail to Phoenix Coaches ( sales@srg.org.uk )  -  Chris MIGHT still have Dia.1900 sides tucked away somewhere ( slim chance but worth asking ).