N Gauge Class 66

Chrisjh

I apologise for asking this question in advance, I am relatively new to N Gauge so need some much needed help and guidance ..

I would like to purchase the best quality N Gauge Class 66 DCC Sound that can haul a large rake of container wagons, I am just wondering if anyone can recommend which manufacturer I should seriously consider. 

Many thanks and Best Wishes,

Chris  

• RMweb Premium

The Farish one is better than the Dapol one, which is far too light. 

Haulage still isn’t incredible though, and it’s showing it’s age (it’s nearly a 15 year old model). Given their ubiquity I think N gauge deserves a new top spec 66.  

• Like 1

Nicer detail and decoration on the Farish one too, less likely to be an electrical failure too. The only area the the Dapol one possible pulls ahead slightly is the second version of their bogies have less daylight round them than the Farish and there's no join across the front.

Jo

• RMweb Premium

Dapol are generally far quicker to market too, they’ve done a lot of the special edition liveries which Farish haven’t if you want a specific one. The newest Dapol variant is an improvement electronically over the previous ones, but probably the most underwhelming performance yet!

• RMweb Premium

Neither Dapol or Farish make a DCC sound ready class 66 so you'll need to get creative with a file to make space.

Both are making their way through their back-catalogues to improved DCC functionality so you may find a sound ready (or even factory fitted) at some point in the future...

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Yes, but how accurate are the colours...

Jo

Based on a number of examples of their output in N scale of late, not very.  The recent Intercity Mk3 Sleeper being one of the worst I have seen in a long time.

2 hours ago, Steven B said:

Neither Dapol or Farish make a DCC sound ready class 66 so you'll need to get creative with a file to make space.

Both are making their way through their back-catalogues to improved DCC functionality so you may find a sound ready (or even factory fitted) at some point in the future...

Steven B.

On current performance more likely from Farish, the only chassis for the 50 and the 68 were sound ready with a speaker space.  Other Dapol locos only got next 18 slots - the 73 just got a 6 pin slot.

• RMweb Premium

Fitting sound into the Dapol 66 (Next 18 one) is pretty easy. There are solder pads on the PCB for the speaker. I fitted a Sugarcube 5, with only a bit of filing needed. I’d guess that a Minnow 4 speaker would probably fit without modification. 

Easiest for the Farish model is a Zimo MX600, the most awkward bit is the lights, where Farish insist on 5 wires. It’s a harder install, but doable for sure. 

• RMweb Premium

As above, I put in a Sugarcube 5 with minimal filing, and suspect a Minnow 4 would probably fit without any modification. You'd get something bigger in, but the problem is that any modification removes more weight from a loco which is already only ~70g.