Help wanted with identifying part number for idler gear - Trix/Liliput E3001 motor bogie....

andyman7

The Trix/Liliput E3001 shares a motor bogie with the Trix/Liliput Western with the exception that the centre wheelset is replaced by a brass idler gear. I have an E3001 in bits missing this gear, but given that the mechanicals were all brought in from Trix (and later Liliput) this is almost certainly a part in common with at least some of the continental range models of the time. I've a much better chance of sourcing a replacement if anyone can tip me off with the relevant German part number, model(s) it was used in and/or source of supply - can anyone help? (BTW it's not listed in the TTRCA spares catalogue).

Thank you!

20211020_230619.jpg.48ca75d4da8a99191d69ae20a2e4955c.jpg

Liliput Western looking closer centre wheel is same as the others, with 2 idle gears in between. Never seen a parts diagram for any trix or liliput model, this one hasn't even got an instruction leaflet telling you how to service the model, think it's a later one with the improved pick up on other bogie

It's probably a standard gear with 0.5mm module (as used by Lima). These are available from China cheaply, but with a long delay in transit.

Proops (eBay) used to sell them but may not have them now (usual disclaimer).

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, locomad2 said:

20211020_230619.jpg.48ca75d4da8a99191d69ae20a2e4955c.jpg

Liliput Western looking closer centre wheel is same as the others, with 2 idle gears in between. Never seen a parts diagram for any trix or liliput model, this one hasn't even got an instruction leaflet telling you how to service the model, think it's a later one with the improved pick up on other bogie

Yes, but to clarify, on the E3001 the centre wheels are omitted and instead there is a third idler gear between the two smaller ones. I haven't ruled out hacking the gear off a Western wheelset if I can find one....

• RMweb Premium

It might be worth contacting the Trix Twin Railway Collectors Association (do not be put off by their name) which has spares for many of the later British Trix / Liliput models at http://www.ttrca.co.uk/Spares.htm 

The service sheet for E3000 can be found here http://www.ttrca.co.uk/E3000 Class - 2 Rail.pdf 

A late friend was a member and told me that they had acquired spares and tooling for the old Trix / Liliput models from Dapol at some stage.

It may be necessary to be a member to use their spares service.

This may be an avenue worth pursuing. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The only source for spares is the TTRCA these days.They carry a lot of spares that are not listed,an email to to the spares officer enquiring as to whether he has the part.You have to be a member to buy but it`s well worth the small amount.

Ray.

• 1 month later...
On 21/10/2021 at 17:06, 1E BoY said:

It might be worth contacting the Trix Twin Railway Collectors Association (do not be put off by their name) which has spares for many of the later British Trix / Liliput models at http://www.ttrca.co.uk/Spares.htm 

The service sheet for E3000 can be found here http://www.ttrca.co.uk/E3000 Class - 2 Rail.pdf 

A late friend was a member and told me that they had acquired spares and tooling for the old Trix / Liliput models from Dapol at some stage.

It may be necessary to be a member to use their spares service.

This may be an avenue worth pursuing. 

On 23/10/2021 at 05:07, sagaguy said:

The only source for spares is the TTRCA these days.They carry a lot of spares that are not listed,an email to to the spares officer enquiring as to whether he has the part.You have to be a member to buy but it`s well worth the small amount.

Ray.

I will be joining the TTRCA to access their spares but need to wait until January because all memberships run from Jan-Dec. Apparently this is in their Articles of Association but does rather limit the ability to recruit as otherwise one is forking out for what could be just a few days' membership!

On 23/10/2021 at 11:20, Dagworth said:

I’ve got some scrapped trix AL1 power bogies if anyone wants spares. 

Andi

PM sent!

This a Heljan EM2 fitted with Trix pantographs which work under my Trix catenary.These locomotives do pick up traction current from the wire and return through the tinplate track base.The selection of spares that they can provide is quite large,they will have the gear that you require along with the shouldered screw.

Ray.

Heljan mk1.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I will be joining the TTRCA to access their spares but need to wait until January because all memberships run from Jan-Dec. Apparently this is in their Articles of Association but does rather limit the ability to recruit as otherwise one is forking out for what could be just a few days' membership!

PM sent!

Are you sure about that?

Most clubs give 12 months membership, plus any months in advance as a bonus. So if you joined now, you would get 13 months, not 1.

Of course they could be different!

8 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Are you sure about that?

Most clubs give 12 months membership, plus any months in advance as a bonus. So if you joined now, you would get 13 months, not 1.

Of course they could be different!

I am very sure as when I spoke to them they advised me to wait until January. They did send some sample magazines though and I have set a reminder!

• 4 weeks later...

Here it is, in good running order. I've also found. box of Trix motor bogie driving wheels, plain and grooved to take rubber tyres. I bought a load of them in 1967 to put on Triang motor bogies. I had a Hymek so fitted and it pulled about 120 wagons on the MRC test track!

39B5092A-F374-42CA-8DF3-79E80602B701.jpeg

EA5E25C6-50CD-417A-8DC0-B7069DF76D2F.jpeg

2A1231DE-C196-46C3-A2A2-F7B3A1B4F895.jpeg

• Like 1

On 05/01/2022 at 18:39, roythebus1 said:

Here it is, in good running order. I've also found. box of Trix motor bogie driving wheels, plain and grooved to take rubber tyres. I bought a load of them in 1967 to put on Triang motor bogies. I had a Hymek so fitted and it pulled about 120 wagons on the MRC test track!

39B5092A-F374-42CA-8DF3-79E80602B701.jpeg

EA5E25C6-50CD-417A-8DC0-B7069DF76D2F.jpeg

2A1231DE-C196-46C3-A2A2-F7B3A1B4F895.jpeg

That's perfect. The mounting that the brush spring is screwed to and a few other parts are Mazak diecast and it's those parts that failed on the motor that I need to replace, but I can always use any spares for these!

• 4 weeks later...