Upside down images

Can anyone explain why uploading some photos from my phone, they are loading upside down no matter what I do. Even if i flip the image upside down, it comes out upside down. Right way up, upside down

See link to thread below of examples

• RMweb Gold

You took them with the phone upside down. Unless you rotate them in a photo editor and resave the image what ever you are loading them into will assume the camera’s top (in this instance the bottom of the upside down image) should be the top of the display. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As John says, you used the phone upside down. The camera lens on the back should be always at the top.

Your phone knows you took it upside down, and flips it round on the phone screen to look the right way up.

But RMweb doesn't do that.

There is a CSS function in web browsers to make a similar correction, from the EXIF data in the image, but not all browsers support it, and not all web sites make any use of it:

image-orientation: from-image;

The problem with it is that if you rotate the image in a graphics editor, and the editor doesn't rewrite the EXIF data, the image will get rotated twice and be back where you started. That's why many web sites choose not to use it. Users are assumed to use cameras the right way up.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

This is peculiar to Apple devices and I believe the rationale for doing it is/was that by not spending time rotating the data it makes/made the camera app faster.

Other phones just rotate the data when writing the file so that it doesn’t matter which way up the device was held.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, gpplumy said:

The phone/camera was not upside down, and its correct way up on the phone itself, also the device is a samsung , android system. the the photos have been taken at the same time as others, yet some decide to "flip" upside down

They always look correct on the phone itself, because the phone flips them round where necessary.

Were any of the ones which get flipped taken with the phone horizontal or nearly horizontal? i.e. looking directly down on the subject (or up if under the baseboard). In that position the orientation device in the camera doesn't work very well, or at all, so the phone doesn't know whether it is the right way round or not. With the result that the wrong information gets embedded in the EXIF data.

Martin.

3 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

They always look correct on the phone itself, because the phone flips them round where necessary.

Were any of the ones which get flipped taken with the phone horizontal or nearly horizontal? i.e. looking directly down on the subject (or up if under the baseboard). In that position the orientation device in the camera doesn't work very well, or at all, so the phone doesn't know whether it is the right way round or not. With the result that the wrong information gets embedded in the EXIF data.

Martin.

Hmm interesting one that. I'm not sure. So what would be needed to correct the exif data? 

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, gpplumy said:

Hmm interesting one that. I'm not sure. So what would be needed to correct the exif data? 

The easiest solution is simply to remove all the EXIF data before uploading to RMweb. It's not needed to view the image.

This free App can be used to remove the EXIF data:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=apps.syrupy.metadatacleaner&hl=en_GB&gl=US

Then always make sure the lens on the back of the phone is at the top when taking pictures.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I always have to be careful with videos on my Samsung S10. It has an annoying habit of sometimes flagging the video as being in portrait mode when it was in fact recorded in landscape. The only way to fix it is on the phone and it applies the fix to every frame so it can take ten minutes to correct a video.

• Like 1