Fitting a Loose Worm Gear to a Drive Shaft?

TrainMan2001

Hi everyone! I recently purchased a High Level gearbox kit, and the worm gear is just loose enough on the motor's drive shaft that I can slide it around. I'm sure that that's not ideal, so I was wondering if you had any advice on how to fix it? I thought about soldering, but I'm not sure if that could cause problems for the motor, so maybe some kind of glue would be better? Thanks for any help you can give!

I would suggest loctite, I am never too fussy about which grade.  The problem with a loose worm is it may not run concentrically which means poor running.   If loctite doesn't do it work out whether the worm is oversize or the shaft undersize and change the faulty component,     Soldering can destroy the motor,  ben there done that,  So can superglue, if it gets in the bearings. been there done that etc...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I find with the High Level boxes that pushing the worm hard up to the motor, putting a dab of glue - whatever you choose, cryno/superglue or Loctite/retaining compound- on the shaft end, and then pulling/sliding the worm back into it’s required position (over the glue) seems to work okay and prevents contamination of any bearings etc. Be aware retaining compound especially takes a while to cure/go off properly. 

• Thanks 1

Another vote for Loctite. There is at least one version intended for securing gears on shafts. It should have low enough viscosity so that the gear will be concentric with the shaft before it sets. Also, you do not want too good a grip in case you want to remove the gear in the future.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1