Queens Hotel, Birmingham New St Station - any architectural plans or dimensions?

Royal42

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I would like to make a start on constructing the north section of New Street Station and this incorporates the Queens Hotel and station entrance.  The builidng was demolished in the mid-1960s and I've only got a few  Googled images and 'Britain from above" views which are too far away for detail.

Does anyone have any actual plans or dimensions of this large and ornate building that I could use please?

Fwa2iJm.jpg

I'm looking for heights of the different floors and windows, depth from street front to hotel frontage (through the arches) etc.  I could guesstime by using nearby people and items; however, I would like to try and get the actual details if any are available.

Cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42

Birmingham New St by Richard Foster published by Wild Swan.

Background and beginnings, up to 1860, ISBN0 906867 78 9

Expansion and Improvement, 1860 - 1923, ISBN 0 906867 79 7

Chapter 3 is on Queens Hotel, Includes 1886 plans at platform and ground levels + photos.

LMS and Nationalisation, 1923 - 1955, ISBN ?

Could be more in here, I don't have it.

Rebuilding and the New Era, 1955 to present day, ISBN ?

(NB Present day was circa 1990).

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Grovenor said:

Expansion and Improvement, 1860 - 1923, ISBN 0 906867 79 7......Chapter 3 is on Queens Hotel, Includes 1886 plans at platform and ground levels + photos.

Thanks Keith, I have found a copy online and placed an order for it.

cheers,
Mike

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I received the book a few weeks ago and I am very pleased with the content; thank you again for the recommendation Keith.  I now have all three volumes of Richard Foster's books and have started on the Queens Hotel section of the station.

queens_hotel_05.jpg.ad474b19244684d955538af3962dea58.jpg

I do have a query, if anyone can help with the station buildings within.   The plan below shows the ground floor of the Queens Hotel, with the passage to the station platforms at the centre.  Either side of the passage is a ticket/booking office; each measuring about 27ft x 12ft.  One is for the LNWR and the other the Midland Railway.   Can anyone help with what the external views of these offices would have looked like?   I am trying to identify what the walls were made of and their colour; how many ticketing windows and where they would be positioned etc.

queens_hotel_entrance_to_platforms_cropped.jpg.ab0adc04d506f099d6d5fc4bf6a73e4d.jpg

cheers,

Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 1