colour for driver & fireman

BR and all railway companies had an issued uniform. I believe wearing your own was a sackable offence.

Blue of different shades. Mainly due to the fact they were heavily washed, so went from a dark denim blue colour to almost white.

Look for pictures of Clive Groome as he tends to wear the correct uniform.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=clive+groome&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiLuYvGmN7zAhUWiFwKHYReD0YQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1366&bih=657&dpr=1

Jason

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brossard said:

Others with more knowledge can correct me but I don't think there were set uniform rules for crew.  I use dark blue, grey and khaki on mine and mix and match colours:

P1010001-009a.jpg.49d0141101267fe35c63ea24d0d3b27c.jpg

These are ModelU, the best IMO.

John

Is that fireman wearing a natty yellow cravat? Was that standard issue in the 1960s?

• RMweb Premium

Depends on many things, what day of the week, what time of day and how long they have had the overalls. 

Being washed in very hot water to get rid of the oil and dirt they gradually change from a dark blue to very light blue. Trouser bottoms always seem to get more dirty more quickly due to the use of the pep pipe, although from stories some drivers did not like their use. The dirt never really gets all over, elbows, bottom etc seem to be the places. 

I know one crew who went out in white overalls just to prove they could stay clean all day. 

Edited by Blandford1969
spelling

• RMweb Premium

Also remember some hated the greasetops and threw them away. One of my friends who worked out of Rose Grove still wears a knotted hanky. 

Standard issue was blue bib and brace with jacket (the BR ones are better as they have inside pockets (pointless trivia))

3 hours ago, milepost48 said:

what would be a correct Humbrol colour to paint a driver and fireman of the sixties?

Assuming we’re talking BR, most were Caucasian, but there were guys of African, Asian, and other descent on the footplate, even back as far as Victorian times. Have a look at a railway photo album of your location of interest.

• RMweb Gold

Cravats and scarves were common accessories to the standard bib/brace/dust jacket, as they can be used as masks in tunnels, to wipe sweat, and other sundry tasks.  Cotton shirts were normal beneath the outer layer, as the collars could be loosened if things got hot and buttoned back up when they cooled off.  Ties might be worn for passenger duties, but probably spent much of their time in pockets in case they were needed.  Some drivers who preferred to lean out of the cab Casey Jones style in the interests of forward visibility used motorcycle/aviator style goggles to protect their eyes.

I paint my crews as follows: spray matt acrylic so that the acrylic colours will key properly, flesh for faces, necks, and hands, and a grey/blue for the clothing.  A splash of white for the shirt and maybe a colour for a scarf or cravat, and an overall wash of general weathering dirt is usually enough to bring out the facial features.  Care when wiping off the weathering mix to leave heavier dirt at elbows and knees, and always matt acrylics.  Wiping more dirt mix off the jacket than the trousers is sufficient to show the difference in shades.