Removing paint from Hornby track

I have just received a hole bunch of Hornby track from a friend, unfortunately its covered in paint from paint pens, Specifically posca pens, it's covered the sleepers and rails, i want to remove it but I don't know how, i have tried plain water and hasn't, i know methylated spirits is a brilliant paint remover but don't think is a good idea on Hornby track. 

Also the tops of the rails are scratches. 

How do i remove the paint from Hornby sleepers and rails using minimal household tools. 

And is it possible to fix the scratching. 

Just my opinion, but I think second hand track is not worth it, unless it is unused.

As for the paint, you could try enamel thinners, that is pretty strong stuff.  Try on a small section first.

For the scratches, try something mildly abrasive to polish the rail head, like this:

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/catalogsearch/result/?q=bright+boy

If you plan a hidden section, that would be the place to use this.

These days, code 75 (rail is 0.075" high) track is de riguer.  It is closer to the correct height and looks finer than code 100.  Peco is the most popular track around and it is what I have always used.  If you are doing modern image, flat bottom rail (as opposed to bullhead) is appropriate.

You can get converter track for code 75/100.

John

The only way to can fix scratching is to file or sand it down until it is all level.  You could nickel plate it back up again, but it would be cheaper to buy new track.

To clean it, you can carefully separate the rails from the plastic sleepers, by releasing a clip and sliding the rail the length of the track, so that you don't break the clips. It needs to be very carefully done.  Then you can wire wool or scrape the paint from the rails. It would probably be easier to re-paint the sleepers if they are a mess.

5 minutes ago, brossard said:

Just my opinion, but I think second hand track is not worth it, unless it is unused.

As for the paint, you could try enamel thinners, that is pretty strong stuff.  Try on a small section first.

For the scratches, try something mildly abrasive to polish the rail head, like this:

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/catalogsearch/result/?q=bright+boy

If you plan a hidden section, that would be the place to use this.

These days, code 75 (rail is 0.075" high) track is de riguer.  It is closer to the correct height and looks finer than code 100.  Peco is the most popular track around and it is what I have always used.  If you are doing modern image, flat bottom rail (as opposed to bullhead) is appropriate.

You can get converter track for code 75/100.

John

Im not in any location where i can get Code 75 Track. Even code 100 is someone difficult to get new. 

My friends track is a few months old but he just did a really poor job of painting. 

Edited by Trainnoob

3 minutes ago, Esmedune said:

The only way to can fix scratching is to file or sand it down until it is all level.  You could nickel plate it back up again, but it would be cheaper to buy new track.

To clean it, you can carefully separate the rails from the plastic sleepers, by releasing a clip and sliding the rail the length of the track, so that you don't break the clips. It needs to be very carefully done.  Then you can wire wool or scrape the paint from the rails. It would probably be easier to re-paint the sleepers if they are a mess.

They are not a complete mess but it looks really bad. 

What about Diluting the Meths with a tiny bit of water then drying of track with a hair dryer. 

Removing the sleepers are a very good idea but my fingers are not sturdy enough to put it back. 

Edited by Trainnoob

4 minutes ago, Trainnoob said:

Im not in any location where i can easily get Code 75 Track. Even code 100 is someone difficult to get new. 

My friends track is a few months old but he just did a really poor job of painting. 

Can't you order from Antics, Hatton's or others?  Yard lengths may have be to couriered but it is a one time expense.  Make sure to plan so you know how much you need and order it in one go.

John

Edited by brossard

6 minutes ago, brossard said:

Can't you order from Antics, Hatton's or others?  Yard lengths may have be to couriered but it is a one time expense.  Make sure to plan so you know how much you need and order it in one go.

John

I can but for me i see no point in Code 75. 

It does look a little bit more finescale but Ballasted Code 100 looks fine to me.  Plus i have some Lima Coaches and a can't justify spending money on fitting finescale wheels. 

My friends track im using is Mostly gonna be in a hidden section. 

Im also a bit to heavy handed for the delicately of Code 75. 

Edited by Trainnoob
  • Like 1

Nothing fundamentally wrong with code 100, just not in fashion.  Your layout, your decisions.

My comment above applies equally to code 100, you will probably have to mail order.

BTW, you wouldn't need "finescale" wheels for code 75.  You can get Bachmann or Hornby spare wheels for a modest price.

John

• Thanks 1

Lima wheels are rather coarse and the profile is not too good. They have a short axle (24.5mm) and Hornby or Bachmann axles are longer than this. It is possible to swop the axles, but the non-insulated Lima wheel is fixed really tightly to the axle.

Meths is fine for acrylic paint. It shouldn't have any effect on the plastic. Test a single piece first. However as long as the running surface is clean, for hidden track the rest is of little importance.

Scratched rail surfaces with not affect the running, but do tend to pick up dirt.

Edited by Il Grifone

Just spray the whole lot with "track colour" or "Mud" camo paint from paint ball websites, and when dry, sand off the rail tops with a wet 'n' dry sanding block. Pointwork, mask the bits that pass current, (stock and toe). Result! :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

For Posca pens, try Flash floor cleaner - the pink one. Dilute in a bucket & leave to soak for a while and the paint should rinse off under the tap.

Alternatively, Flash Kitchen spray & a scrub with an old toothbrush.

17 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

Lima wheels are rather coarse and the profile is not too good. They have a short axle (24.5mm) and Hornby or Bachmann axles are longer than this. It is possible to swop the axles, but the non-insulated Lima wheel is fixed really tightly to the axle.

Meths is fine for acrylic paint. It shouldn't have any effect on the plastic. Test a single piece first. However as long as the running surface is clean, for hidden track the rest is of little importance.

Scratched rail surfaces with not affect the running, but do tend to pick up dirt.

Thanks for the tip, Until now i have been to scared to use meths. 

There shouldn't be any problem with meths (except for the smell and purple dye). Here in Italy it comes in a plastic (polythene) bottle (without the purple dye :)). Hornby track may be polystyrene, but it shouldn't affect this either. To be absolutely sure stand the last couple of sleepers in some for a while.

On 22/10/2021 at 14:54, Trainnoob said:

Im not in any location where i can get Code 75 Track. Even code 100 is someone difficult to get new.

I'm very new to railway modelling, and I have just bought £1600 worth of track, locos and accessories to start a new layout (I'm expecting the 8x4ft baseboard next week). I didn't know about the difference between code 75 and code 100 track and I bought Hornby track, because it's the name I know from my childhood - about 100 years ago.

I live in the south west of Ireland (now) and there is only one model rail 'dealer' in the country (with 2 branches) and it's a 6 hour round trip to the nearest one. So, I've been buying most things online, and much of it from the UK, including Hattons and Hornby. I have enough track to make the Hornby Track Plans layout and extension 4 (see below), and I bought all the track separately (i.e. I haven't bought a 'train set' of any kind). Total cost of that track so far is around €500.

So, while not being sure of the issues around buying code 75 track, I can reassure you that if you need to buy code 100 (from Hornby) you will have no problem at all.

Trakmat photo.jpg

Edited by latestarter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1