Hornby 28xx/38xx running problems

Chuff34006

Hi, I have a Hornby R2917 2810 fitted with an ESU V4 sound decoder. It has run very well since purchase, but on a recent run it appeared to be stuttering as if it was seizing up. I took it off the train load and ran it in reverse which was even worse it was almost kangarooing with the body appearing to go up and down! I lubricated the wheels and linkage and it made no difference. I then took the body off gave the gearing a good clean and relubricated it with appropriate grease. With the motor out I ran the chassis up and down the track and the wheels etc., all turned with little resistance. I reassembled the locomotive it ran forward then stopped I moved it on the track and put it in reverse and it would not do one full turn of the wheels! Any ideas gratefully received

Sounds like either a chipped or missing gear tooth or an excessively worn motor shaft bearing. Does the motor run fine out of the loco with light finger pressure? Is the worm damaged? Are the gears split? Good luck......:scratchhead:

• Like 1

Sounds like a tooth off.  Loose baseplate screws can initiate wear by letting the gears out of mesh.   Ours had to be returned to Hornby after we removed it from the packaging and forgot to refit the baseplate screws.

It now runs fine but won't pull the skin off a rice pudding so sits disconsolately on shed while one with a Hornby Dublo chassis pulls trains. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 23/10/2021 at 15:32, Chuff34006 said:

Hi, I have a Hornby R2917 2810 fitted with an ESU V4 sound decoder. It has run very well since purchase, but on a recent run it appeared to be stuttering as if it was seizing up. I took it off the train load and ran it in reverse which was even worse it was almost kangarooing with the body appearing to go up and down! I lubricated the wheels and linkage and it made no difference. I then took the body off gave the gearing a good clean and relubricated it with appropriate grease. With the motor out I ran the chassis up and down the track and the wheels etc., all turned with little resistance. I reassembled the locomotive it ran forward then stopped I moved it on the track and put it in reverse and it would not do one full turn of the wheels! Any ideas gratefully received

I've just had a very similar problem with my 38xx. Take the motor out and the chassis is very free, motor runs OK, but put them together and it jams. I couldn't see any obvious problems with  the gears, but after reading this will have a closer look.

I wonder, did you find an answer?

Many thanks,

John.

Hi,

I had a very similar issue earlier this year with my GWR 28XX (Hornby R2916), which is from the same production period as your R2917 should be: The worm gear was broken. Replaced it with spare part X6201. Now, it runs perfectly again.

Best,

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Guardian said:

Hi,

I had a very similar issue earlier this year with my GWR 28XX (Hornby R2916), which is from the same production period as your R2917 should be: The worm gear was broken. Replaced it with spare part X6201. Now, it runs perfectly again.

Best,

Mark

That's very helpful indeed Mark, thank you.

Lendons of Cardiff are showing these in stock, so when I've thought about any other bits and bobs that might come in handy, I'll do an order!

John.

• Like 1