Four Character Headcodes For Regional Use

I'm in the process of disposing of a number of Working Timetables on line and whilst checking through each to make sure all pages are present I've found a number of specific 4 character headcodes used in different areas which may be of use to some. First off are those taken from Plymouth District September 1960 Freight & Passenger - I'll post more as and when.

Edited by SP Steve
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks for those - other Districts, not to mention other Regions have similar tables, and I am aware the whole picture is not only horrendously complex but changed over time.

Can I ask for clarification on how this worked please - suppose a Light Engine is running to Camborne from Swindon.  According to Table A it would be 0Z91 as far as Swindon is concerned because it's going to Plymouth District but not going to a Main Depot.  But as far as Plymouth District is concerned it should be 0B11 according to Table B, however it can't start out as 0B11 as that may means somewhere else in the Swindon area.  So would its headcode be changed on entering Plymouth District, or would it just keep 0B11 throughout?

• RMweb Premium

No idea about that region, but in general headcodes were supposed to be changed at the appropriate place. That would be somewhere that the loco had stopped, so for passenger trains I guess it would be at the end of where the current headcode was no longer appropriate. But I only really follow what happened on parts of BR(S), particularly for EMUs.

And in the days of kettles it was similar - indeed, ISTR that working timetables probably showed a headcode, with a note like 'n@nn from <placename>'. Of course, that doesn't help for light engines unless you have a (weekly?) amendment or unless the light engine was regularly scheduled, which isn't the case for long-distance movements.

20 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Can I ask for clarification on how this worked please - suppose a Light Engine is running to Camborne from Swindon.  According to Table A it would be 0Z91 as far as Swindon is concerned because it's going to Plymouth District but not going to a Main Depot.  But as far as Plymouth District is concerned it should be 0B11 according to Table B, however it can't start out as 0B11 as that may means somewhere else in the Swindon area.  So would its headcode be changed on entering Plymouth District, or would it just keep 0B11 throughout?

I think that Table B would only apply to movements that originate within the Plymouth District so in your scenario it would keep 0Z91 throughout.

• Informative/Useful 1

A switch to the North East with codes from NER Section E covering Darlington, Saltburn, Scarborough, Penrith, Crook and branches passenger services from June 1961:

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...