Thinners for enamel & acrylic paints

I mostly use acrylic in my airbrush.  I'm pretty sure white spirit and acrylic are incompatible.  I decant acrylic paint into the cup using a largish brush then, use the same brush to pick up some water.  I finish with paint retarder to stop the paint from drying in the nozzle.

When I have used enamel in my airbrush, I thin with enamel thinners.

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

White spirit is fine for all enamels as a thinner and cleaner. I tend to try to use the correct thinner with a particular acrylic but I have some of this to try. If airbrushing acrylic you'll need a decent thinner plus possibly some IPA to clean your airbrush.

Chris

s-l500.jpg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember asking Mick Bonwick what thinners he used with enamel paint and he said that he only ever used bog standard white spirit so that's what I've done ever since.  I don't know much about acrylics but I wouldn't use white spirit with them - on the few occasions I've thinned acrylics I've used tap water.  The manufacturers will try to persuade you to use something considerably more expensive - whether that's worth it or not I'm afraid I don't know.

DT

• RMweb Gold

I have only ever used white spirit with enamels.

For acrylic, I make up my own which is 1/3 IPA to 2/3 water with a dash of window cleaner. I use this to thin acrylics and as airbrush cleaner.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2021 at 08:35, Torper said:

The manufacturers will try to persuade you to use something considerably more expensive - whether that's worth it or not I'm afraid I don't know.

Most reports I've read and modellers I've spoken to have all said water will split the paint which affects coverage and durability of the finish.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2021 at 08:13, rodent279 said:

I've only got one tin of acrylic, all the rest are Humbrol or Rail Match enamels. Is acrylic on on top of a coat of enamel?

I think that if paint has completely cured (not just dry) its normally OK but the golden rule is test first before attacking your model..

Chris

• Thanks 1

I've thinned Humbrol acrylics with water before now and it works. I also once added washing up liquid after a suggestion by someone, that I wouldn't recommend - it still works but it's all frothy! I personally prefer Vallejo airbrush thinner now.

Enamel should be fine with white spirit, don't use turps substitute which has a tendency to not dry. Also beware universal thinners from automotive places, these are much too aggressive and whilst they may well work in a primer coat straight onto an unpainted model, they will more than likely react with any existing paint coat. Great for airbrush cleaning though. 

Speaking of airbrush cleaning, after the usual thinners have gone through (white spirit for enamel, Vallejo airbrush cleaner for acrylic) a final rinse with a drop or two of Wilko Cellulose thinner will remove the remains of paint the other cleaners haven't touched, which will be a surprising amount! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It's a long time since I used any thinners with Acrylics, having discovered Vallejo Air, which is specifically made for direct use in an airbrush.  I understand that Citadel has a similar prepared product, too.  Both are highly recommended by a wide selection of users.  One of the advantages that I like, is that both, don't just have the right thinner/paint mix, they both use pigment which is ground finer than the standard ones.  Add that to the lack of messing with mixing the paint and thinners and it was a no-brainer {which, in the circumstances is probably quite appropriate}.  For small detailed jobs, I find it works with a decent paint-brush, too, which saves duplication of paint pots.

PS.  I like Isopropanol for cleaning, as it's effective and relatively inexpensive, with several other uses - rail / wheel cleaning and other degreasing jobs as well.  Also very handy, close by on the bench, for those, mis-use of a tool, Claret removal and antiseptic moments, too.

I was also recommended to use Premi Air Foaming Airbrush Cleaner, for use where deep cleaning might be appropriate.  It seems to work very well, but I can't compare with others, just recommended by a gentleman who has many years of experience and excellent results.

Edited by jcredfer
P.S. addition

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm another one who uses white spirit for enamels, works absolutely fine. When I dabbled with acrylics, I found plain water not be much good, the surface tension of the water meant it dind't flow well on the model, tending to pool up. I tried a home brew thinner with water, IPA and retarder (might even have been a bit of flow improver in there too). That seemed like a good general purpose thinner and for cleaning there was a stronger mix with more IPA in.