Dingham Couplers Closed

bluestag

3 hours ago, MarcD said:

I'm going to create a separate thread for my updated couplings.

Marc

I'm particularly interested in the couplings for stock with high/low bufferbeams.  I have a few pieces that need it.

I'm not overly worried about wider loops, and I'm not sure if I want them.    I am restricting myself to 6' curves.

Will you be supplying solenoids for uncoupling?   They are a pretty critical element in the concept.   Trevor was offering a solenoid that could be fitted no more than 1/2" below the track.    Apparently the magnet could not create a strong enough force to operate any further away than that.    My base boards are 3/4" ply with 1/2" fiberboard.   I'd like something that would work at that distance.   But I also wonder if it would draw too much current.    Trevor's solenoids apparently were pulling 1.5 amp.   I have several old Marklin 30 va transformers, one of which was to be dedicated to the solenoids.   They are good for 2 amp.

Any thoughts?   Do direct us from this thread to a new thread when you start one, please.

Very sad to hear that Trevor has decided to stop trading due to ill health. I do wish him all the very best. 
Will follow the replacement for Dingham couplings thread. We were discussing Dingham couplings at our local workshop group meeting yesterday, a couple of the guys that use did mention that the loops could with being a little bigger to give a little more tolerance. 
Bill 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wishing Trevor the best in what must be very difficult times, when I ordered some earlier this year, he was very prompt in sending them.

Sadly, I found the Dingham couplers weren’t for me due to vastly varying coupling hook heights on my eclectic stock. Think I’ve got two etches of the 7mm scale coupler, one only missing a couple of couplers I took off to experiment with. I also have some of the electro magnets which I’ll happily sell on if there’s a current Dingham user wanting to ensure they have sufficient stocks for the future. More use than sitting in my drawer, PM me if you’re interested. 

UPDATE: Electromagnets now sold. 

Thanks,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young

I was politely informed that they were buying them. And told again politely to keep off the grass. 

I will not be keeping off the grass and the improved version will be going into production in 7  and 4mm by Christmas.

I'm currently working on the hight and depth jig.

Marc

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 7

1 hour ago, MarcD said:

I was politely informed that they were buying them. And told again politely to keep off the grass. 

I will not be keeping off the grass and the improved version will be going into production in 7  and 4mm by Christmas.

Marc

if you don’t keep off the grass will you wake up with a horses head in bed? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

5 hours ago, MarcD said:

Marc

The height and depth jig sounds especially attractive.   But so do the hooks for various height coupling pockets.   I have inherited several bits of rolling stock that have high buffer beams.   I'll be buying a set of the 7mm couplings.    And some solenoids if you market them.

Kevin

Edited by bluestag
spelling

The hooks have been off set from the current Dingham centre line so they can rise or drop depending on the wagon/coach. This is done with a dogleg between the hook and the shaft that passes through the buffer beam.

For example a Dapol terrie will need a +2 hook in order to bring it up to the same hight as a Dapol jinty.

Marc

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have had a few suggestions for a name of the new improved coupling the winning ones so far are "Boggs" after the layout they were designed for and "The Mouse Trap". Has anyone else go any more suggestions?

Marc 

On 02/11/2021 at 13:02, MarcD said:

Marc

I will have to see if I can arrange a refund I suppose, and wait for your couplings. I'd rather not wait for whatever the GoG is doing, due to the the glacial pace with which it will almost certainly be done. Yours look to be much more adjustable too!

Sounds like an interesting concept to produce these coupling and I hope that your idea becomes a marketable idea. I would ask as to whether there is any copyright issues in taking on a modified Dingham type of coupling especially if the GOG are looking to purchase the business from the original owner. Do you think any legal action might be taken or is the range now considered discontinued. 

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, gismorail said:

Sounds like an interesting concept to produce these coupling and I hope that your idea becomes a marketable idea. I would ask as to whether there is any copyright issues in taking on a modified Dingham type of coupling especially if the GOG are looking to purchase the business from the original owner. Do you think any legal action might be taken or is the range now considered discontinued. 

Already discussed this a few posts further up.

Edit: actually previous page now!

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, gismorail said:

I did also wonder that. The basic principle seems similar to others such as the D&G and those fitted to some continental RTR etc, just different in design details. Whether that makes a difference I couldn’t say.

• 1 month later...

The etches for the prototype Flippem Automatic Coupling arrived about an hour ago. They look good if I do say myself. I'm going to fit some to some stock over the Christmas weekend, the Boss is on nights. So I will post some photos shortly

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished testing the system. It works and it works well so I will be drawing up the production etches next. 

The grey wagon (LNWR Dia2) is fitted with a plus 1mm "Flippem" hook and loop the brown wagon (LSWR 4PLK) is fitted with a standard height  "Dingham" hook and delay bar. being used on WC Boggs. they run through and couple on the 3ft4 reverse curve. The LSWR 4 plank has had a "Flippem" loop fitted to the other hook to prove that back fitting "Flippem" loops to "Dingham" hooks was possible.

42858699_flippemloopdinghamhook.jpg.ac92e4df4c7db6dc3e67d39ca8c0d5c6.jpg

The second photo shows the difference between the "Flippem" on the left and the "dingham" on the right.

1696929338_flippemloop.jpg.bc42fcbbd56da9f68a05daaadd10dc28.jpg

As you can see the "Flippem" is made from thicker material and has a greater cross-section for better strength. Also you can see that the size of the loop is bigger which allows it to be used with very tight radius curves. I have tried them on PECO set track and they work every time. There looks like there is also spare room between the hook and the loop to enable them to be used on even tighter curves less than 3ft4.

The third photo shows the difference changing the hook height can have.  The coupling on the left is the plus 2mm "Flippem" and the one on the right is the "Dingham" the wagons are the same, our SDJR 5 planks, as you can see the loop on the left would pass over the hook on the right and likewise there no chance that the loop on the right would go over the hook on the left.

Now I have proved the system I will be putting the production etches for 7mm and 4mm together and getting them to the etchers asap.

If any one wants one of my pre-production etches to get them going I have one left? Otherwise I will be taking orders in a few weeks for an expected delivery mid to late February.

1204123618_flippemloop2.jpg.2c97c2354345fdf74e437254a4be2340.jpg

Marc 

• Like 3

I will be adding a page to my website to allow orders to be placed for a mid/late February delivery date once I have the production etches drawn up. This should be in the next week or so.

Marc 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, robmanchester said:

t-b-g : Thanks for the heads up on the coupler availability. Does anybody have a copy of the latest instruction sheet - the gauge O guild isn't one of my current societies so I can't access the on-line one.

Rob

I’ve a set for sale with instructions ;)

I have just finished the production etch artwork so I will be taking orders for the improved system shortly. 

I will be producing a small video of how to put the couplings together and operating on the layout they were originally designed for.

Marc