Baccy Brush D1103 Stone Vapour boiler change.

w124bob

I'd sort of given up on this particular variation on the Brush theme but a chance find on Ebay changed that https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143293106320?hash=item215cef4890:g:ssMAAOSwjjddAiSi lots of other goodies in their shop too. Of cause the "deluxe" class 47 may have this boiler option in the future but for those who can't wait there is this option. D1103 was an early 70's ETH conversion retaining the attractive two tone green and being a Finsbury Park top link engine was kept in clean condition. There are 12 pictures in the Flickr album, scenes taken on Dewsbury Midland, the OO gauge layout of The Manchester Model Railway Society.

D1103 pic 7.jpg

D1103 pic 2.jpg

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, w124bob said:

I'd sort of given up on this particular variation on the Brush theme but a chance find on Ebay changed that https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143293106320?hash=item215cef4890:g:ssMAAOSwjjddAiSi lots of other goodies in their shop too. Of cause the "deluxe" class 47 may have this boiler option in the future but for those who can't wait there is this option. D1103 was an early 70's ETH conversion retaining the attractive two tone green and being a Finsbury Park top link engine was kept in clean condition. There are 12 pictures in the Flickr album, scenes taken on Dewsbury Midland, the OO gauge layout of The Manchester Model Railway Society.

D1103 pic 7.jpg

D1103 pic 2.jpg

A memory jogger! Just been delving into my old notebooks and the real D1103 was still displaying D prefixes as late as 13th October 1973 when seen at Kings Cross, I noted my surprise (6781 turned up that day too, the only 37 I ever saw at the Cross). Other than Westerns, shunters and the odd Peak, the Ds were a fading sight by then and TOPS was just around the corner, D1103 becoming 47520 and one of only seven Class 47/4s to achieve TOPS green.

The Lima model was tooled with this form of boiler vent, I've modded a few in my time!

Nice model, I really like Brush Type 4s in GFYE.......:good:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Snap! Here she is before she got ETH …. Boiler port on Bachmann D1677 changed with A1 models etches.

Was my first ever spotting cop, Birmingham New Street 4th September 1967. Didn’t quite understand why it was special at the time but do now….those D11xx did stray from the ECML on occasions but probably less once eth fitted 

2709A0B8-207B-4307-8936-E3178BDCE628.jpeg

4C5297B7-7A91-4F08-938F-FF9F0BBCB6CD.jpeg

5C994ACB-A756-42DF-B66D-EA4A7AD5EBB1.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, w124bob said:

I like the depot sticker Phil, Precision Labels? They seemed to be very much an ER and to a lesser extent  thing WR thing

Yes I think the ER started it with black backed shed plate style stickers … the WR started with stencils but then as you say moved over to stickers but there were varying styles…. And yup Precision Labels, along with the data panel. Extreme Etching worksplate too

8 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Yes I think the ER started it with black backed shed plate style stickers … the WR started with stencils but then as you say moved over to stickers but there were varying styles…. And yup Precision Labels, along with the data panel. Extreme Etching worksplate too

Must admit I think that works plate edges it slightly over the one I fitted. As an aside, work on D1065 proceeds, although the horn cowl mod is stumping me at the moment, I will post more in the Dapol thread shortly.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, w124bob said:

Must admit I think that works plate edges it slightly over the one I fitted. As an aside, work on D1065 proceeds, although the horn cowl mod is stumping me at the moment, I will post more in the Dapol thread shortly.

Funnily enough have been having a debate with James my son about Railtec 3D plates v Extreme Etchings. It’s horses for courses…. Both of them along with Fox transfers have had a lot of business from us with our diesel fleet.

Might be worth your while having a chat with @Downendian about that horn cowl, know he was thinking about talking it.

• RMweb Gold

And the driver in the A end of ours is “Lofty” Long from Saltley. Only kidding…. It’s bad enough cutting legs off to get them to fit the drivers seat, but chopping half way up the abdomen seems bizarre!

• Funny 1

20 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Was my first ever spotting cop, Birmingham New Street 4th September 1967. Didn’t quite understand why it was special at the time but do now….those D11xx did stray from the ECML on occasions but probably less once eth fitted 

That was an exotic start! I have a b&w Exe-Rail photo of D1111 in GSYP livery approaching Exeter St David's on an up train presumably in 1967, at that time we spotters in Cornwall had only just started seeing our first WR Brush 4s! My own first sight of a D11xx was a spotless GFYE D1106 at Reading on 5th April 1969, that was a monster cop for me. It was so clean I knew it was something special as soon as it swung into view at the far end of the long straight to the west, and I wasn't disappointed! I know of only one D11xx making it to Penzance in pre-TOPS days, D1102 on the down 'Cornishman' on 23rd January 1970..........and I missed it. Guess which of the twelve went on to become my last required D11xx..........:huh:!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2021 at 22:11, Phil Bullock said:

Funnily enough have been having a debate with James my son about Railtec 3D plates v Extreme Etchings. It’s horses for courses…. Both of them along with Fox transfers have had a lot of business from us with our diesel fleet.

Might be worth your while having a chat with @Downendian about that horn cowl, know he was thinking about talking it.

Hi Bob/Phil

Here’s my D1065 horn cowl in progress a few years ago now. Not a perfect shot, and a bit of a compromise, using U channel plastic rod cut into two equal pieces and thinned down at the inboard end to get a taper. The real cowl was fitted with grilles, and from the limited photos I’ve seen the “m” shape extends the whole length of it. Some suggested it was merely a dent in the cowl - I really don’t think this is the case from photos, but have no idea why the mod was made.

image.jpeg.5df1764e27c89625976f37eec1b594b1.jpeg

Back on topic, I can vouch for the Railtec 3D works plates, they are superb- I’m gradually working through my green 47s in the renumbering programme, next job the headcodes.37C8D5DD-21FC-4743-896A-A280250B3E78.jpeg.e3efb1492cd743ec0a242a69dcbc0cab.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Downendian said:

Back on topic, I can vouch for the Railtec 3D works plates, they are superb- I’m gradually working through my green 47s in the renumbering programme, next job the headcodes.37C8D5DD-21FC-4743-896A-A280250B3E78.jpeg.e3efb1492cd743ec0a242a69dcbc0cab.jpeg

Thanks for the kind comments. In fact the 3d builders' plates have evolved even further in the past 4 weeks or so. Looks like you've got the full Railtec complement on the cab there? Looks like the same 47050 / data / HO depot markings I made a few weeks back from one of the "complete loco pack w/ your choice of number" series.

• Like 2

Phil your 1103 looks good just as we East Cost types remember them, but as it isn"t meant be ETH fitted how come its got the ETH jumper. Bachmann fitted a few 47 buffer beams with the Generator style jumpers on locos that never had ETH.

Al Taylor

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 45125 said:

Phil your 1103 looks good just as we East Cost types remember them, but as it isn"t meant be ETH fitted how come its got the ETH jumper. Bachmann fitted a few 47 buffer beams with the Generator style jumpers on locos that never had ETH.

Al Taylor

Cheers Al I suspect a few of our stud have escaped QA and retained Bacchy’s ETH jumper when it should have been removed. A good prompt to check them all…..

• Like 1