New 4 x 2 Industrial Layout

Hi all

I have been working on a small oo gauge industrial layout designing for my first small build (while i get carried away elsewhere with my plans for a whole designated railway room), and would like some help, advice, comments and suggestions from people in the know on this topic.

Other than i love the idea of sheds and work buildings i havent narrowed it down to specific type of industry yet, i am still at the stage of trying to get a suitable track plan so i can work from there.

I do have a harbour/wharf section as i would like some water on the layout, and it means i also get the small bridge over it that i would like.

I am a keen modeller so it is as much about the build as it is the utilisation of the layout but i do want to have shunting opportunities.

The idea is a cassette of slider on the right for locos in and out

Below is my favourite version (for smaller board) followed by my latest adjustment tonight to try to make use of the large space.

Scale is oo gauge, size is standard plywood sheet size of 1220 x 610 (4' x 2').

I am using Peco code 100 track and points with point motors, electrofrog points.

Please comment, suggest options or changes, as your experience is something I dont have any of yet

Thanks on advance

Dave

IMG_7490.jpg

IMG_7491.jpg

It looks like it could be fun but some sort of a run around would be helpful especially since you have sidings going in both directions. It would be useful to know what sort of motive power you intend to use just to see how much space the runaround would take up. I don't know if you've already purchased the track etc., but point motors on a 4'x2' seems a bit of overkill and Peco works fine without them.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, davknigh said:

It looks like it could be fun but some sort of a run around would be helpful especially since you have sidings going in both directions. It would be useful to know what sort of motive power you intend to use just to see how much space the runaround would take up. I don't know if you've already purchased the track etc., but point motors on a 4'x2' seems a bit of overkill and Peco works fine without them.

Cheers,

David

Thanks

I have gradually collected parts in preparation so have the track and point motors etc ready to go

And from numerous reports, for small shunting layouts, using electrofrog points seems a safer bet to avoid stalling

It will be DC power

the top one is 1200 x 400 so is smaller

Just now, brossard said:

Thankyou.  Yes i have been looking at them and metcalfe kits

20 minutes ago, brossard said:

Thanks for this

I have started following your build, it looks great!!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...