Renfe plans Channel Tunnel service

DavidB-AU

• DavidB-AU changed the title to Renfe plans Channel Tunnel service

Other publications have what seems to be the same story, including that RENFE would, as a second phase, want to extend to other European cities.  Not mentioned (as far as I can see) is how more passengers can be fitted into the existing termini - especially Gare du Nord, which used to have rather long queues at times, or where RENFE plans to keep its trains at night.  Would a Stratford International to Charles de Gaulle service make sense?  It would to me, because I live in East London, but then so do a lot of other people as well as those who work here. For Paris, CdG has good links and an express service into the centre is proposed - it would also be better for through services to other cities. Overall, there could be something in RENFE's ideas, as long as they don't just want to copy what  is already there.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Welly said:

Gauge conversion will be an issue.... ;)

Between London and Paris?

I am a little behind in keeping up with Spanish standard gauge developments, but since you can get to Barcelona by TGV, I would not be at all surprised if you can get all the way to Madrid, or to Malaga without needing to go through the 00 to EM conversion shed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Welly said:

Gauge conversion will be an issue.... ;)

errrr, no!

Spain’s high speed trains and lines are generally standard gauge - it makes everything so much easier. Therefore operation can happen throughout the rest of the European continent.

The signalling systems onboard are a different matter however.

• Like 1