Coax connectors or wire nuts?

rockershovel

I'm looking at connecting the lighting circuits in a set of Lionel 3-rail coaches. I've converted them to LED strip lighting but they still give trouble, which I attribute to the plastic bogies and general quality issues. 

I'm looking at running a wire the length of the consist, linking them. 

I also have loco which has suffered problems with its tether connection and need to replace the plug. 

I'm looking at either coax connectors, or wire nuts out of sight inside the body for both 

Any suggestions as to sizes? I don't want to end up with a huge stock of items in will never use

You might do better with small 3mm(?) stereo jack plugs and sockets.   Getting enough flexibility inti the wires is always the problem but at least in O you have a bit more room than I have in OO.

I'd consider using 0.1" connectors- a pair of them will be nare on the size of a 3mm (1/8") connector, and they are fairly readily available.  Though the 3mm connectors are not a bad suggestion either.  If you've already modified the lighting circuits, adding more capacitance to "keep alive" is another way forward, as LED's draw so little current in comparison to GOW bulbs...

I use the .1" connectors in lego trains, with up to 3-4 wires, and they are flexible enough for that.  (about 26 AWG wire)

• RMweb Premium
On 27/10/2021 at 22:02, rockershovel said:

I'm looking at connecting the lighting circuits in a set of Lionel 3-rail coaches. I've converted them to LED strip lighting but they still give trouble, which I attribute to the plastic bogies and general quality issues. 

I'm looking at running a wire the length of the consist, linking them. 

I also have loco which has suffered problems with its tether connection and need to replace the plug. 

I'm looking at either coax connectors, or wire nuts out of sight inside the body for both 

Any suggestions as to sizes? I don't want to end up with a huge stock of items in will never use

I wouldn't use coax connectors. They are designed for a specific type of cable, that you would not normally use on a model railway.