Single Chimney for a Bachmann Ivatt 4MT?

Afternoon peeps,

I picked up a 4MT at auction with the double chimney and I want to convert it to a single, but I am having no luck locating a spare part. I could probably find a white metal one, but ideally I would like an authentic Backmann part, which will hopefully just pop in the hole from the double.  The only Bachmann spares I can find are bogies, buffers and lamps.

Wasn't it virtually the same as the BR Standard 4MT 2-6-0 type?

If so try PDK and 247 Developments.

Click on Parts List

BRC 5    Standard Class '4mt' 2-6-0 & 2-6-4t - 76xxx & 80xxx Chimney

http://www.pdkmodels.co.uk/

CH50  CHIMNEY STD 4,5

http://www.247developments.co.uk/loco_detailing.html

Jason

• Like 1

The chimneys for the Ivatt and Riddles Class 4 Moguls are very different. The Ivatt had a chimney very much in the style of Stanier with the Riddles drawing their heritage from the LYR. As did the rest of the BR Standards.

You might find that the Ivatt had the same chimney as the Black 5 and 8F, but I don't actually know. It definitely isn't the same Stanier chimney as fitted to the 4F or the 2P. Possibly worth exploring.

• Like 1

The Derby single chimney was quite different to the "Riddles" Swindon designed single chimney .   If the loco is in the LMS era or in early BR days and LMS livery then you need the Derby one, but double chimneys were still being fitted in 1949 as far as I can tell, and theSwindon one being fitted from 1951 so the Derby chimney s pretty rare    If the model is much later than 1952 you need the Swindon one which as far as I can tell is the one also used on the BR Std 4 locos

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2021 at 08:02, philsandy said:

I don't think chimneys are available as a spare from Bachmann, they seem to be part of the whole body moulding. 

That's the route I finally went with, thanks Phil.  They are glued in, and they have snapped the part off a "reclaimed body"  So heartily recommend this service for Bachmann locos. One drawback is that their hold music is truly awful :O

• Like 1