Which dental loupes with LED to choose?

Hello all,

I'm in need of better illumination and magnification for my modelling work. I already have a desk top magnifier with lights built in, which helps, but for some work I need greater magnification. I was impressed by some dental loupes with LED on a visit to the dentist recently and I think that would suit me. But there's a rather bewildering array available on the usual websites. I wear glasses for reading etc and so a model which works with glasses would probably be best. Has anyone bought one of these? Comments welcome, please.

Andrew

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mike-Dental-Portable-Surgical-Binocular-Different/dp/B07C8ZX6TM/ref=sr_1_126?crid=2TE9X3LZUK3N2&dchild=1&keywords=loupe+with+light&qid=1635103160&sprefix=loupe+with+light%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-126

Edited by AndrewJ
added link to the kind of thing I'm looking at.

I have used this type of thing.  Amazed to see that price.  They use to be over a grand.

One piece of advice - don't go mad with the magnification.  The higher it is, the smaller the depth of field and you find yourself bobbing your head back and forth to stay focused.  From what i remember 3.5x is at the higher end.  4x was ridiculous.  2.5x might be a place to start to see if these are suitable for you

• RMweb Premium
On 30/10/2021 at 11:06, AndrewJ said:

Hello all,

I'm in need of better illumination and magnification for my modelling work. I already have a desk top magnifier with lights built in, which helps, but for some work I need greater magnification. I was impressed by some dental loupes with LED on a visit to the dentist recently and I think that would suit me. But there's a rather bewildering array available on the usual websites. I wear glasses for reading etc and so a model which works with glasses would probably be best. Has anyone bought one of these? Comments welcome, please.

Andrew

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mike-Dental-Portable-Surgical-Binocular-Different/dp/B07C8ZX6TM/ref=sr_1_126?crid=2TE9X3LZUK3N2&dchild=1&keywords=loupe+with+light&qid=1635103160&sprefix=loupe+with+light%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-126

I had a special pair of glasses made with , I think, +2 dioptres above my normal reading prescription.  I tried a few pairs at a newsagents before giing to the optician (may be frowned upon now).

• RMweb Gold

I use a multi-led warm bendy stalk anglepoise, and a separate magnifying glass; I have 3 of these of different sizes and strengths to hand, one of which is also a bendypoise on a heavy base.  I prefer not to illuminate the workpiece from the same perspective as my sight, as it is, I find, useful to side light it to a degree so that the relief is shown, and I like the cast of the bendypoise, which is less wearing to my eyesight.  I use glasses to correct short sightedness but remove them for close up work as my left eye's 'sweet spot' is about 3 to 12 inches.  The trick with lighting is to diffuse the light as much as possible, and avoid very bright spot lighting or cold cast.

And I tell The Squeeze if I'm doing close work which strains my eyes; she can be relied on to come in and offer cups of tea at decent intervals to prevent me overdoing it.  Isn't getting old, feeble, and useless such fun, can't think why I waited so long to do it...

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Mine are similar to the unit 57xx posted but a bit cheaper and lower magnification.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075QDTK8K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does sometimes take my eyes a couple of seconds to refocus/realign but I think that's me not the headset :)

Those were the first set I had, however... Because of the arms interfering with specs, I used the elasticated headband, but found them quite uncomfy on the forehead, especially where I had unscrewed the nose bridge. Eventually one of the arms snapped off, hence then buying the set I linked to above.

• Informative/Useful 1