British Industrial Steam in the 1960s

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

Just spotted in the latest Steam Days magazine, an advertisement for Lightmoor Press and a new 224 page book, 'British Industrial Steam in the 1960s', subtitled 'The collected industrial photography of Terence Dorrity'.

Due early December according to the advert, and £25, sounds good to me.

Perfect Christmas present I reckon.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Sounds very good, but there's nothing on the Lightmoor website that I can see at the moment.

Apart from the advert in this month's Steam Days magazine, the only mention I can see of the book on the Lightmoor website is in the summer catalogue 

https://lightmoor.co.uk/BDLpdf_files/LightmoorBookListSummer2021web.pdf

All the best,

Keith

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

My copy has just arrived, what can I say... it's a fantastic collection of photographs, reproduced on high quality paper, covering England, Scotland and Wales in 16 chapters, arranged geographically. Lots on coalfields and NCB systems, as well as other industries represented including ironstone, gas works, slate quarries etc--mainly standard gauge but a lovely 'industrial narrow gauge miscellany' (chapter 9) as well as examples from Wales.

Totally brilliant.

cheers,

Keith

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, 5050 said:

OMG, summat else ter spend me hard earned beer vouchers on!  Not seen this before, must get onto James at Bill Hudson Books to see if he has one.  Can't resisit a good industrials book!

it was Bill Hudson Books I bought my copy from, really well packaged for posting to NI, bubble wrap and proper cardboard envelope, not like those rubbish Amazon 'cartons' that they use and end up damaging the books in transit by being loose inside (grr)--so my copy arrived in proper good order :-)

Book ordered with James, in the post tomorrow - along with No. 10 in the British Railways First 25 Years series.  I bought No. 11 before Christmas as it is based on North Wales and Chester, my old stamping ground.  I half expected to see myself in some of the photos!  No. 10 is Shrewsbury and Mid Wales I believe so also an area well known to me.  When I was 'reading' No. 11 I had my old Ian Allan Combine (1957) with me and I reckon I must have seen at least 75% of the locos illustrated!

As you say, James does pack books well.  He sent the 2 books in separate packages as the individual price of 2 posted was less than if they had been packed and posted as one package.  Where's the logic in that!  Although I suppose that the words 'logic' and 'GPO' (or any other official body!) aren't necessarily compatible in the same sentence.

Me, cynical?  Never....................................:rolleyes:

• Like 1