Settle/Carlisle track plans

The Midland Railway produced some extremely  good quality maps called the "Distance Diagrams"

I used to have a set somebody produced as separate sheets supplied within a plastic folder covering whole of the Settle & Carlisle, but I no longer have that,

I would think your best bet would be to ask the people at Butterley.

https://www.midlandrailway.org.uk/maps/distance-diagrams/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert Stokes said:

"Stations and Structures of the Settle and Carlisle Railway" by V.R. Anderson and G.K. Fox. I've got a copy but I can't find the ISBN number in it. The track plans are well shown in it.

Thats great,thank you.I will get a copy off of e-bay.  Regards   Greg.

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The Midland Railway produced some extremely  good quality maps called the "Distance Diagrams"

I used to have a set somebody produced as separate sheets supplied within a plastic folder covering whole of the Settle & Carlisle, but I no longer have that,

Great.Thanks very much.I will contact them.  Regards   Greg

4 hours ago, MR Chuffer said:

For a low/no cost option, check out National Library of Scotland online maps, NLS where you will find high detail maps sufficient for track plan details dating back to ~1900.

Thank you....will try that also.   Regards.   Greg

• RMweb Gold

Greg,

This site also has an extensive collection of historic OS maps: http://www.archiuk.com/cgi-bin/build_nls_historic_map.pl?search_location=%2C+Greatstone-on-Sea%2C+Kent&latitude=50.959869&longitude=0.960504

Also look for Rails in the Fells by David Jenkinson. 

Steve

Edited by sjp23480
correction

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The link is to the Midland Railway Society; see also the Midland Railway Study Centre at the Museum of Making, Derby. Butterley is home to the Midland Railway Trust which is principally a preservation / heritage railway organisation. (The site is also home to the Historical Model Railway Society' archive.) A fine organisation but not the one you're looking for.

The Anderson & Fox book is probably your best starting point - it's usually available second-hand at a reasonable price. It has scale plans and also signalling diagrams for each location. The Distance Diagrams are 1inch to 1 mile maps, doing exactly what it says on the tin - giving the distance in miles and chains from St Pancras of every junction, signal box, and station on the Midland Railway - but they don't provide track plans. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

Track plans can be found here: https://freetrackplans.com/prototype-plans.html

Ugh. Those don't really capture the essence:

• single slips are represented as plain crossings
  • double slips in yards are represented as points toe-to-toe
  • three-way points - a very characteristic Midland yard feature - are represented as simply a point of one hand followed by a point of the other

which just goes to show that you get what you pay for.

Here are a couple of sketches of typical Midland wayside station layouts, which I'm putting up for free too:

2035017556_Midlandstationlayoutssketch.jpg.c74aa788f1b94245c8f833f3f2b210c8.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you everyone who responded to my post.You have all given me some great information,which I will now follow up.I always find it amazing as to the knowledge that people on this site have.Long may it exist.Thank you all again.Regards.   Greg.

• Like 1

The National Library of Scotland site is brilliant, covers England too and you can get OS large scale maps back to the 1850's. It is also free.

Zoom in, make a screen copy and print it. I use Irfanview for all that basic image stuff such as chopping the unwanted bits out of the screen copy, also an excellent program.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Ugh. Those don't really capture the essence:

• single slips are represented as plain crossings
  • double slips in yards are represented as points toe-to-toe
  • three-way points - a very characteristic Midland yard feature - are represented as simply a point of one hand followed by a point of the other

which just goes to show that you get what you pay for.

Here are a couple of sketches of typical Midland wayside station layouts, which I'm putting up for free too:

2035017556_Midlandstationlayoutssketch.jpg.c74aa788f1b94245c8f833f3f2b210c8.jpg

Stephen

I don't disagree, best used with the Anderson/Fox or Jenkinson works to get the full picture.   

But, they are track plans which are drawn in Anyrail which can be downloaded and adapted to suit. 

Having said that, I am not sure why the site owner didn't recreate them correctly in the first instance?

Steve

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sjp23480 said:

Having said that, I am not sure why the site owner didn't recreate them correctly in the first instance?

Steve

It seems to be all executed in Settrack for Hornby users so slips, 3-ways and subtle angles are out.

It's very easy for anyone to download the free version of AnyRail, plug some standard parts together, usually sticking rigidly to the geometry that follows, and publish the resulting grey diagrams on line as "free track plans" whether they bear any relationship to prototype practice or not! These things frequently then get promoted in Pinterest collections as well. Urgh!

Treat with extreme caution...

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Harlequin said:

It seems to be all executed in Settrack for Hornby users so slips, 3-ways and subtle angles are out.

I was about to post that that seemed to be the case; I've no experience of Anyrail (other than seeing the output) - presumably the user can select a suite of components, e.g. Settrack geometry, Peco, etc.?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I was about to post that that seemed to be the case; I've no experience of Anyrail (other than seeing the output) - presumably the user can select a suite of components, e.g. Settrack geometry, Peco, etc.?

Anyrail has an extensive library of track geometry. For example the Peco code 100 streamline etc has the slips and curved points. I am using Anyrail to design my new layout which uses Kato H0 Unitrack, a sectional track system but no flexitrack . It is possible to modify straights and curve radii so I copied a length of Peco flextirack onto the layout plan and use that to design customised track

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2