Train collision in tunnel between Andover and Salisbury

• AY Mod changed the title to Train collision in tunnel between Andover and Salisbury
  • RMweb Gold

1F30 and 1L53 involved, 1F30 struck an object in the tunnel and derailed into the path of 1L53, leading carriage of 1F30 is on its side. Reported to be 13 injuries and Driver of 1L53 is trapped in the cab

Ta to GN

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

This sounds bad.

A collision, resulting a some carriages ending up on their side - in a tunnel, can only be bad.

God speed to the emergency services, on this awful weather day, and hope there is no loss of life.

Kev.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Nothing unusual there ..................... but they haven't exaggerated to the extent that the driver is more than 'trapped' - let's hope they can un-trap him / her pretty swiftish.

Indeed I purposely didn't mention the driver until we have any further news on him being extracted. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I hear all are just "injured" but I hope trapped driver is OK.

I've just seen a daylight view - lucky in a way :
1. the SWR 159 hit the GWR 158 a glancing blow as 158 was still on curve from Laverstock and the south..
2. nothing eastbound...

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I must admit I failed to fully realise that both trains were heading in the same direction and 1F30 had been at a stand for 7 minutes after striking an object in the tunnel before 1L53 hit it, 3/4 rear on the junction - adds a new dimension but I won't speculate.

Christian Wolmar was claiming the signals might have gone black - on GMB this morning - but then drivers would stop at them.

Time to let the RAIB do it's work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 15

12 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

I must admit I failed to fully realise that both trains were heading in the same direction and 1F30 had been at a stand for 7 minutes after striking an object in the tunnel before 1L53 hit it, 3/4 rear on the junction - adds a new dimension but I won't speculate.

Christian Wolmar was claiming the signals might have gone black - on GMB this morning - but then drivers would stop at them.

Time to let the RAIB do it's work.

According to RTT it can't have been 7 minutes:

1F27 (to Pompey) passed Tunnel Jnc 18:41:45

1F30 passed Tunnel Jnc 18:42:45. 

1L53 passed Laverstock North Jnc 18:42:30, must've struck 1F30 all of 30 seconds later.

Close shave with 1F27.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• AY Mod locked this topic