Le Train Des Mouettes

dagrizz

Yesterday, we went for a ride on this line, a 12 mile preserved railway from Saujon to La Tremblade near Royan in western France. The train was hauled by this loco, which is apparently the oldest working steam loco in France, 130 years old this year. Very enjoyable.

mouettes3.jpg.478b77ea466952762063fe6a92622450.jpg

Graham

• Like 11

Thanks for this Graham and I'm envious!

It's a shame the line no longer runs into Le Tremblade' station itself.  I explored  that area in the late 1990 -not unfortunately on a day when the train was running- and the whole station layout there was still intact. The line actually went on for about two and a half kilometres  to a terminus near the former ferry across the Seudre at La Grève. Though clearly disused, it was still completely intact running mainly along the side of the road that runs along a canal mainly in front of the  wooden oyster producers' huts. Looking  on Streetview far  more of those huts now seem to be reaturants but quite a few stretches of the track seem to still be in place. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I thought it slightly odd that the line did not end at the waters edge and assumed it had been buried under roads and other developments so thanks for the extra info. I've now looked at streetview and can see the tracks. One of the things I did learn yesterday was the importance of the line to the oyster trade, allowing them to be transported further and quicker to the markets.

Graham 

4 hours ago, dagrizz said:

I have been told that the line at La Tremblade is due to be extended to a new station in the redeveloped port area. Timescale is about 2-3 years.

Graham 

Let's hope they build a decent replica of a Départemental station rather than something contemporary. The original station building at La Tremblade- the building beyond the turntable  is not actually different from one you might find at a regular Réseau National station even though the line was d'Intêret Local.

• Like 1

It will also explain the 'temporary' station building at La Tremblade - an old postal van, though they have also provided a modern toilet block, which is just as well as the round trip is a good 3 hours on a train without loos.

mouettes5.jpg.138ddd4388d087b87381de688a6d7be4.jpg

Graham

• Like 3