The Peco Turntable motor, PL-55

Hello all.

My layout has a Peco turntable, the LK-55, which is currently operated by the Expo motor kit.

However, this kit is now misbehaving and is proving unreliable.

I see that Peco now produce their own turntable motor, the PL-55 and I would like to know how good it is?  Does anyone have one and would that care to comment on it please?

Particularly, I would like to know:

• How easy is it to retro fit?
  • Is it supported on the base of the turntable, or does it require additional support?
  • What is its speed like?
  • Is its operation reliable? Is there overshoot?
  • Does it make a lot of noise?

A photo of it in position would also be helpful.

Thank you,  Alan

There is some discussion of the Peco motor here: 

Unfortunately the comments do not seem to be all that positive, at least compared to motorising kits from some other suppliers (Locomotech seem to have happier customers for their motorising kits, and their prices are competitive with the Peco offering).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

There is some discussion of the Peco motor here: .....

Unfortunately the comments do not seem to be all that positive, at least compared to motorising kits from some other suppliers (Locomotech seem to have happier customers for their motorising kits, and their prices are competitive with the Peco offering).

I agree with the comments made in the link.  I looked at both the Expo and the Peco, but didn't like the excess noise on the Expo and the use of a single speed button on the Peco.  The Locotech one was the eventual route and has proved to be very quiet and incredibly smooth, with a DCC loco decoder, set to address 69, for control.  

There is a description here and some other possible alternatives, which also may be of interest.

https://www.dccconceptsforum.com/post/peco-turntable-10042071?highlight=locomotech&trail=15  

It also has some information on TT speeds and keeping sounds going.  I hope it may be of some interest.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally was able to get to the 'mancave' and fettle about with my turntable.  There were two problems.

1. Where had put brickpaper wound the well wall and then topped it with paving slabs, this caused one end of the bridge to catch with insufficient clearance, so some work with scalpel/file put that right.

2. I needed to reseat the motor so the worm was in best contact with it's cog. i.e angled slightly.

That seems to have fixed it. :-)