Mystery Coupling

I recently bought this Bachmann J39, but am at a loss trying to work out what type/style of coupling this is, it has the same on the rear of the tender as well, does anyone have an idea please. it's a screw on, so changing it to either a NEM pocket or a Bachmann T/L shouldn't be too difficult, it's more out of curiosity than anything, but I can't remember seeing one like this before.

image.png.821b7d3e255ab48b9583d03c187f23b7.png

13 hours ago, IanLister said:

Hi

It's a DG coupling. I use them on my layout and they're outstandingly good if set up accurately...delayed action uncoupling.

Ian L

Hi Ian

I see they work using electromagnets in the track, I like the idea, would be quite usefull on my layout, not sure if I have the skills to make them work, have to find some old freight wagons that I don't mind making a mess of to practice on I think.

Edited by Smudge617
Added further comment

It appears to work in the same way as  the standard Continental loop coupling in the Rivarossi delayed action magnetic version, but does the job in a much neater and unobtrusive manner.

Personally I wouldn't change it to any version of the awful tension lock.

• RMweb Premium

THE DG couplings are compatible with the B&B.

I found the B&B easier to make and setup as they are fully etched construction and don't need to faff around bending wire loops

Not too sure where to get them from now though.

I do like these couplings. I looked up the gentleman mentioned in the other thread, last electoral roll he was on was in 2014 so might see if there are any model clubs nearby, maybe they can help locate him. But they are ideal for my layout, only have 3 marshalling roads so fitting electromagnets wouldn't be difficult, need some old freight wagons to practice on first, flea bay spares and repair, here I come.

I use the DG couplings on my passenger stock on my terminus layout. It gives me 'invisible' coupling and uncoupling of the coach rakes without having to find the magnet to shuffle over.

With just the hooks and latches fitted to locos and the loops on the first and last coaches, I have one magnet* buried between the sleepers at the entrance to each platform and five to create a short magnetic zone just over a loco's length from the stops, this allows for different length locos.
A train entering the platform runs over the first magnet and with the coupling under tension nothing happens. The train then pulls up at the stops. As the coupling is in the magnetic zone the loco sets back enough to release tension and uncouples. The pilot loco draws up to the end coach and couples up then sets back out of the platform running over the magnet at the end of the platform with the coupling under tension.
The pilot loco then propels the coaches into the departure platform, or carriage siding, and when the loco coupling runs over the magnet at the entrance it goes into delay mode without having to stop and do a shuffle and the loco can then spot the coaches and reverse back out to the pilot siding.

The train engine having turned, or a new loco, sets back onto the train, couples up and departs.

I have no goods at the moment but will have. I think electromagnets will have to be utilised for selective uncoupling and some thought put into their placement.

*Magnets are 3x6 mm neodymium rods

Edited by Free At Last

Well, after seeing all these posts and the various designs that are around I'm not sure which couplings to use, there are so many, all I think with various pros and cons as far as my limited experience goes, So I'm going to leave the DG couplings for the moment and see what works on my layout, and for me, I want to get away from t/l's, and as nearly everything I have is t/l I've ordered several different  NEM converters also some Kadee couplings and sprung 3 link, as I have freight wagons from Triang/Hornby/Mainline/Airfix and Bachmann plus some Wrenn, let me see what works, then maybe try the DG coupling.

Edited by Smudge617
Added further comment

• RMweb Premium

An alternative, not so inobtrusive but I think slightly easier to set up is the Sprat & Winkle coupling. Etched brass hooks with counter weights and a wire loop between the buffers. They also offer delayed uncoupling. They were designed by Derek Mundy but are now available from Wizard models, along with the magnets. A "three link" coupling of soft iron wire is used as the dropper. I have not fare off 180 vehicles fitted!

The DG coupling also comes in 7 mm and we are using it on our club layout. We have not yet got enough layout to see how successful we have been in setting them; that test should be in a couple of weeks. But they are certainly less obtrusive than S&W.

Jonathan