LNWR in Burbank, California

bluestag

You may be interested in my new layout.   It is about 4 months under development.

LNWR circa 1900.    Somewhere in Britain.   Possibly Banford, or Dansby.  Digital of course.

The long wall is 19' 4", the short 17' 4".

Two photos of the lever frame.    The frame has room for 24 levers.   The layout currently has three cross overs with a fourth pending.    Those two turnouts can be driven by a single lever.   Which will leave me room for nine signals, if I live long enough to install them.

More photos to come, hopefully right side up.

Onward and upward.

Kevin

2021-10-18 05.56.45.jpg

2021-10-18 05.57.50.jpg

1441858015_2021-10-1805_57.50(2).jpg.f7a6172246c18450a92a6c71e38a0274.jpg

2021-10-18 05.57.11.1 (2).jpg

Edited by bluestag
Fresh pictures

From outside the garage, the goods on the left, the passenger platforms on the right.  I had a brainstorm the other day, and resolved to extend the layout outside the garage by about 3' 6" with a flap that folds down here at the bottom of the photo.   A good thing too, as the goods yard is uncomfortably short.   The longest trains will be about 5' 6" long, the limit being the cassette fiddle yard, of course.

2021-11-01 15.47.42.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0099.JPG

Edited by bluestag
Spelling
  • Like 12

A reverse view.   The black loco is sitting on the lead to the turntable and engine shed.   But the first three feet of it are treated as a headshunt for the goods yard.

There are two double slips in a row.    They were necessary to get the track and operation within the space available.  I admit they are rather Marklin in their appearance, and certainly not prototypical.   I have some diagrams of LNWR stations leading to Oxford.   There are single slips, and not a lot of them, but no double slips.  Oh well.   It is my railway, isn't it?

2021-11-01 15.50.3a7 (2).jpg

2021-11-01 15.50.37.jpg

Edited by bluestag
Picture
  • Like 9

The turntable.   It is the largest HO turntable offered by Fleischmann.    It just fits my LNWR 0-8-0, just about the largest loco I intend to run.   In fact, it is not justified down a branch terminus.   It belongs on the mainline pulling 60 or so coal wagons.

My friend John who has just a beautiful layout has such a turntable converted to 7mm.   Mine was a gift from David, who also donated a lot of track.   In point of fact most of the track was donated or inherited.   One of the club's members passed away and left me four new turnouts and 16 lengths of flex track, plus some wagons and vans.    Nick retired away from where he could have his layout.   He gave me a Finney City of Truro, although I don't know what I'll do with a GWR loco, and about 16 vans and wagons, mostly GWR again.    I've fitted many of them with Dingham couplers, which I am standardizing on.  Len also was forced to move to a smaller home and gave up his second hand layout.    I stripped it of turnouts and track, and a dozen tortoise point motors.   With all this generous donation I have only bought a double slip and three curved turnouts.   I would never have started on it without their donations.

2021-11-01 15.51.50 (2).jpg

Edited by bluestag
more text
  • Like 3

Two photos of where the cassette fiddle yard is to be.    Probably not doing anything with it until next year.  There will be cassettes for stock, and cassettes for locos.    4' 6" stock cassettes, and 16" for locos.

The baseboard construction method should be apparent: classic American L girder construction.   I've built British style baseboards of ply in the past, but find them slow to build.   The baseboard itself is 3/4" ply with 1/2" fiber board on top.    They are cheap (well, plywood had spiked in cost to $100 per sheet, three were required, ouch) and quick to assemble, needing little help to erect.   Another club member, Bruce, came over one day to help cut the ply and mount it on the L girders.    Only a few hours were needed.

2021-11-01 15.52.48 (2).jpg

2021-11-01 15.52.58 (2).jpg

2021-11-01 15.52.48 (2).jpg

2021-11-01 15.52.58 (2).jpg

2022-02-19 15.43.32.jpg

Edited by bluestag
More text
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got the flap built today.  It extends the layout 40", making that side of the layout a bit more than 22' long.  I used a piano hinge, so there should be no question of the two baseboards shifting in relation to each other.   The track will simply butt up against the next bit.   There will be two turnouts at the split, and I'll use Peco plastic joiners cut nearly in half to keep the frog isolated from the adjoining rails.   The flap fold past perpendicular to clear the safely eye for the garage door, and to keep the door from smacking up against the buffer stops.

This is a good development: the goods yard was rather constricted.    Both headshunts were only about 14" long.   OK for Webb era LNWR locos, but only just.    Larger locos coming visiting when my group shows up for an operating session will fit now.

Previously the passenger platform head shunt did not readily lead to the turntable, rather requiring several changes of direction sawing thru the turnouts at the front of the passenger platforms.

So I have a bit of painting and track laying ahead of me!

Onward and upward.

Kevin

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

• Like 8

A reverse view and a side view.   The train is just a bit shorter than the cassettes will accommodate.

It is important to not fold the flap past horizontal.   There is little or no clearance between the rails on the flap and those on the fixed layout.

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

Edited by bluestag
  • Like 9