Birmingham New Street - canopy dimensions?

Royal42

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I am still struggling continuing with my build of the Queens Hotel at New St Station; however, the book I ordered over a week ago has not arrived yet.  Evidently it has a chapter on the hotel plus a floorplan.  Whilst waiting in the meantime, I have started doing some research on the canopy over the Midland section of the station.  This one survived after the war and wasn't demolished until after 1963; therefore, well within the time scope for my build.

Unfortunately, I have already hit a problem in that I cannot find any dimensions for these canopies, which occupied the southern half of the station.  There's plenty of information on the large LNWR canopy, on the north side, including width and length but that was demolished, due to bomb damage, either during the war or soon after and, therefore, out of scope for me.   This image shows the canopies on the southern side of the station.  Does anyone have any information on what width and height these canopies were please?

354067449_Untitled-65_800.jpg.7d0981301ef43d8a213d3a4c55d25fad.jpg

Also, if possible, what would the regulation distances for each supporting pillar be?

2037820335_Untitled-123_800.jpg.53a832c332936d5e2c0ee5d2c4fd4d8c.jpg

photos source: warwickshirerailways

cheers,

Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/11/2021 at 15:42, Grovenor said:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=20&lat=52.47790&lon=-1.89920&layers=117746211&b=1

Should help a bit. The book you are waiting for has some internal photos that should help locate the columns with respect to the internal buildings. These canopies will be a challenge to build due to the curvature.

The book has arrived and it has an excellent plan of the ground floor of the Queens Hotel.  The book also has plans of the platform level below the hotel, which means that I can work out a continuous rear facia for the hotel.  The Midland station is also shown at ground, first and second floor levels; there are even floor plans for various buildings on the platforms. All these will be beneficial to working out what goes where when I eventually come to that phase.

As to the canopies, I found the details somewhere; but cannot remember where, that the dimensions were:

Min. width = 58ft wide

Max. width = 67ft wide

Min. length = 600ft

Max. length = 620ft

Total length of platforms (Midland side?) = 2850 yards.

On 05/11/2021 at 20:50, TheSignalEngineer said:

I think this plan on Warwickshire Railways gives the position of the arch girders. 

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrbns_str1310c.htm

The site also has a lot of pictures which will give a lead to where the columns are, also the girder work attached to buildings.

I don't know how I could progress without those images from Warwickshirerailways, they are definitely my go-to site for this project.  I have seen that image, nwrbns str130 but I cannot identify the canopy or arch girders from it.  I think I can see them now!

Thanks all for your responses, I do appreciate it very much.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42