Mudmagnet - weathering locos and wagons

• RMweb Gold

I recently purchased a few Accurascale wagons and have made a start on weathering a few.

First up are two pairs of their JSA coil wagons, with weathering based upon photos from Paul Bartlett site - I purchase the ones that I want and download onto my home cloud, so can then access easily on my tablet when working in the garage with my airbrush. Then easy to move indoors to complete the weathering.

The majority of the weathering using Lifecolor acrylic paints, using my airbrush and then finishing with brush and dry-brush techniques. A little weathering powders are occasionally used.

With a couple of the JSA, I lightly painted a paler shade of blue (from the Games Workshop range) using my airbrush. Later a paler shade again was dry brushed. I tend to work from the top down with a combination of roof dirt / track colour etc. Some of the shades around the underframe being lightly brushed followed by 'grease / oil' effects around the axle boxes / springs etc.

JSA 01 small.jpg

JSA 02 small.jpg

JSA 05 small.jpg

JSA 08 small.jpg

JSA 11 small.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Another pair of wagons having been through the workbench.

This time a pair of Bachmann VGA wagons, both factory weathered when bought second hand. However, I never like factory weathering and these two were more or less dirt all over and not particularly effective to my eye. Therefore, using IPA and a cotton bud, the majority was removed from the side panels in downward motion. Several sweeps were necessary to remove sufficient paint. This also created various streaks. A quick dusting on the roof with the airbrush, followed by some work on the underframe, I'd say that these are finished and much happier with them now.

PA090430.JPG

PA090431.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...