Bachmann Winter 2021 updates inc. 009 Double Fairlie announcements

AY Mod

1 hour ago, GordonC said:

More Class 90s and 150s are excellent

Yes.  not my bag but the images of 90048 look really authentic in Freightliner red triangle grey. The Crewe cat diamond plaques gone and the BR logo on the driver's cabsides also painted over.   Looks really good for an RTR "modern image" loco.

But there again Bachmann have always done really good AC electrics

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

So why is the LMS version featured then?

Also already announced. Some of us have been waiting for them for ages.

Look at the date it was expected at Kernow.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/72381/31-442-Bachmann-LMS-Ivatt-2MT-Tank-1205-LMS-Black-(Revised)

I have no idea why people are arguing with me....

Jason

An oversight by the person who does the data import at Kernow meant he forgot to change the year that is automatically added to the expected month date. 31-442 was only announced today and is expected in Feb / March 2022. No doubt when the person responsible has finished his lunch and reading this he will correct it! :huh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

44 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

I like the look of the VEA and SEA wagons. 

But do you like the price, thats the question..... given what the SPA's were sold for originally and are not exactly the best models ever made. The VEA, 3 years later...

Edited by LaGrange
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

Great to see the EFE/Kernow SPA/SEA back with the hoods, though a shame both the Cardiff Rod Mill versions are weathered, why couldn't they have done a pristine one and a weathered one? 

Unfortunately I do not think the hoods are correct. There should be 2 ribs down the centre and it looks like there is only one. I hope I am wrong but I do not think there were hoods made in the way they are shown in the Bachmann photos.

From another thread 

SEA roofs G 93--007.jpg

Edited by BR Blue
Link to referenced topic added
  • Informative/Useful 3

Some nice announcements there.

Finally after more than 10 years a 150/2 in Sprinter livery! Sods law that this should come out not long after I gave up and did my own repaint to run as a centre car in 150144.

It's nice to see that Bachmann have included the window in the gangway too. That must have needed a new tooling or slide as this is a variation not done before. I note that the NRN pods are still on the roof though. Not really correct for pre 1990. I still have to remove mine from the model. I wasn't too bothered about the gangway window when running as a 3 car set but it needs correcting too.

50534179897_f71164d71d_b.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg.e9ad238037bbbd8a4a244da1f9a47bbc.jpgIMG_7031.jpg.e9310a8cd143bfd6abd0e50d95e58435.jpg

On the hooded SEAs, something looks really wrong with them. Are they too high as well? Here are Phil Eames's ones from Calcutta sidings for comparison.

21372523414_e3f7000137_b.jpg

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2

I think I can see why i have the impression of being too deep.

Looking at photos (thank you Paul Bartlett!) show the hood only partly overlaps the top rail of the wagon. E.g.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsparevenueconvert?fbclid=IwAR2XYeMFXM0vlZXpU_06Ry_NPPwUvMuQMPDaXy_JQpAaS-xetyheQUO-92Y

The EFE (FTG?) one seems to cover the top rail completely.

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Possibly earlier than that. Roco had announced an intention to do a Fairlie some time before Peco/Kato. Bachmann may have decided to go ahead when Roco baled.

John

I'd have thought that unlikely — that would have meant it had been started before the RNAD diesel, which is still some way off and which was announced before the change in policy. My guess it was started after that loco, and development was speeded up when Peco/Kato announced theirs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Pleased there are new 90s, scratching my head as to why 2 Freightliner ones have been done as opposed to 1 FL and 1 DB or EWS. It could be rights or it could be that Bachmann want to sell pairs (both of these would work with each other or 90042).

90041 is the one I am likely to get, whether I will pay £185 for it on release is another matter (vs what else £185 can get me such as a GBRF 60) is another matter. Also it does run with 90042 quite often and has been other than a few subtleties like this now for about 18 years.

90048 does seem a good choice in that it was like that for AGES (25 years as a guess, fills a big gap timewise left by the initial releases), but I don't like the fact it is weathered.

Completely agree with all of this. I've no problem with Bachmann (and others) offering weathered locos, but it would be nice if they did equivalent unweathered versions for anyone who wants - and after all, you can always weather an unweathered loco but it is far less easy to unweather a weathered one! Having said that, I've no idea how manufacturers produce a factory-weathered loco, is it possible to set up the process so it could easily go to an unweathered version as well?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, scouse889 said:

is it possible to set up the process so it could easily go to an unweathered version as well?

I expect that it is just a case of not applying the last layer of paint, IF factory weathering is actually done with any sort of masking.

Like TBH if there was one to ever do weathered it is that one since it looked battered for years anyway!

I do often wonder though why they sometimes do a weathered release of a wagon that has been around a while, if you have a rake of them the unweathered ones you won't want the weathered one to add to it, and since they don't do different running numbers in the same release (unlike Dapol, Revolution and Accurascale) then you'd have to deweather them to change the numbers anyway if running numbers were an issue (bearing in mind that somebody with weathered stuff is also more likely to be bothered about that).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I'd have thought that unlikely — that would have meant it had been started before the RNAD diesel, which is still some way off and which was announced before the change in policy. My guess it was started after that loco, and development was speeded up when Peco/Kato announced theirs.

I see your point, but the Fairlies are massively more complex to model than any 4w diesel, so might have needed to be started considerably earlier.

It's possible Bachmann held back from announcing it sooner because it had to be some way on to confirm it was viable to make and sell it for less than the £400 that was Roco's ballpark estimate....

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's a limit to how many times Bachmann can say that the Farish range is important to them and not deliver anything truly new. That said, there are a number of DMUs which will have the advantage of the superior gears now being employed, plus the DCC-ready 03s and 04s. In any case, I'm "Fairlie" sure it might have been tricky to afford much just now…

The Fairlie is an iconic loco, so it's not too surprising that it's been duplicated. One of the sound-fitted ones will be my Christmas present to myself; Kato are unlikely to do sound. I hope they can find some different versions to do (perhaps DCC is not a big thing in Japan, which surprises me somewhat).

Now we've had two full years of quarterly announcements, I note that no N gauge new-tooling items have featured in them, though the class 69 was mentioned outside of the announcements and mention of a sound upgrade to the class 60 sneaked out. All the OO new-tooling announcements are replacements for existing models; all are diesels. The only new-tooling steam announcement has been the Fairlie.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus
Missing )
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh happy days…

I want to be the first to say “Theres a lot in it for me”..

This is definitely Manchester Month, or the Northern 90’s Quarter…

i’d kind of been wryly suspicious that more 90’s were incoming quite soon, so held back on the resprays the last few months to wait and see.
Now I know whats here I can start to plan.

But wow.. all those 90’s except the weathered one have a place with me for sure (weathered one does look nice, but I just dont do weathered) 

The 150/2’s in their almost original Sprinter livery, is a definite must, i’m down for 2.. they always went in pairs on Blackpool workings when new, and then the GMPTE 150/1 what a fantastic choice… mostly seen on South & West Manchester / Lancashire areas.. think of a radius like Hazel Grove, LMR, Wigan, Preston, Blackburn, Oldham lines.. I dont think too many of them got this livery, but they did hang about.

Then the SPAs… Cardiff Rod Mill also fits nicely in to Manchester, indeed Bolton, on Cardiff to Westhoughton Metal box trains, often with a 37/9.

What would finish this nicely would be a BCC edition 150/2 with original white fronts.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The lack of any all-new steam era OO wagons is striking. Have there been any since the anchor-mount tank wagon, which must be three years ago?

Might have been an idea to grab the riveted 16T mineral diagrams before Accurscale do....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I expect that it is just a case of not applying the last layer of paint, IF factory weathering is actually done with any sort of masking.

Like TBH if there was one to ever do weathered it is that one since it looked battered for years anyway!

I do often wonder though why they sometimes do a weathered release of a wagon that has been around a while, if you have a rake of them the unweathered ones you won't want the weathered one to add to it, and since they don't do different running numbers in the same release (unlike Dapol, Revolution and Accurascale) then you'd have to deweather them to change the numbers anyway if running numbers were an issue (bearing in mind that somebody with weathered stuff is also more likely to be bothered about that).

Yes, I would have thought so too - you go via an unweathered one anyway, so just stop there sometimes. A bit like sound fitted and non-sound fitted, you have to make a non-sound fitted loco before you fit sound to it... I remember a few years ago when Bachmann did 47190 in RF petroleum livery, which I would have quite liked, but as it was a choice between DCC ready weathered or DCC sound fitted unweathered I didn't get one - didn't want weathered and didn't want to pay all the extra for the DCC sound only to have to remove it....

I also agree that I think in this case that 90048 is a good choice of subject for a weathered loco - as it's properly battered with the scars of the double-arrow and depot plaques, I guess I'd just quite like a non-weathered version of a FL grey loco which wasn't so neglected as 90048, and I'm definitely trying to make a more general comment about weathered/non-weathered rather than specific comment on this particular model.

I'm very pleased that Bachmann have added four 90s to the range - particularly looking forward to 90004 in VT and running it alongside 87019 on a push-pull set - Hornby have already released two different numbered VT DVTs for the other end of the trains! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Also pleased to see the class 90 and by the time you have ordered the 90 and chip you may as well order the sound version- so I did! I think Bachmann are showing great faith in the model by announcing 4 at once and may be an indication of strong sales from the first batch. Totally forgot the class 150 wore the gmpte livery but class 90 takes priority for me too much else on preorder to get the 150.

edit- will that micro decoder be suitable for the Hornby rocket?

Edited by Markwj

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

Slightly surprised that there are no further 47s released but they may be waiting to see how the first batch goes. If you are watching a Named blue pre tops WR one in the next announcements    :good:

I was surprised too. A lot of the 47s seemed to sell out on pre order. I would guess we might get more at the February announcement.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, lyneux said:

I think I can see why i have the impression of being too deep.

Looking at photos (thank you Paul Bartlett!) show the hood only partly overlaps the top rail of the wagon. E.g.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsparevenueconvert?fbclid=IwAR2XYeMFXM0vlZXpU_06Ry_NPPwUvMuQMPDaXy_JQpAaS-xetyheQUO-92Y

The EFE (FTG?) one seems to cover the top rail completely.

Guy

What is that link? https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsparevenueconvert

461100 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brsparevenueconvert/e21ce647e

Incidentally the Shocvan was in Newport Docks internal user fleet for many years. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brshocvanvsv/e177eb9c4     https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brshocvanvsv/e19fae488

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The lack of any all-new steam era OO wagons is striking. Have there been any since the anchor-mount tank wagon, which must be three years ago?

Might have been an idea to grab the riveted 16T mineral diagrams before Accurscale do....

John

No.  You need to go to Bachmann's competitors for the 21T, coil A, Palbrick and GPV !!!