Bachmann 009 Double Fairlie

AY Mod

On 03/11/2021 at 17:24, Roy Langridge said:

No, he means Roco who did propose one and didn’t progress it. 

see https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11026-roco-double-fairlie-dropped/

Roy

But much more recently Kato and Peco have also announced one. I don't think Heljan ever has.

On 03/11/2021 at 17:02, HonestTom said:

It's fascinating to me that just 12 years ago, it was believed that the market simply wasn't there for an 009 Fairlie. Now we have two manufacturers doing several variants and plenty of interest. I'd be really curious to know what changed - did the market itself evolve, or were Roco simply making incorrect assumptions?

I seem to remember that, at the time, many of those who might have been interested were unsatisfied with the fairly unspecific level of information provided by Roco at the point when they were expected to pre-order, leading Roco to decide it wasn't worth it. If they'd gone about it slightly differently perhaps it might have been different. At this stage the revived Minitrains hadn't got going yet either, so the closest thing there was to 009 RTR was Roco, Bemo and Lilliput Continental H0e.

I also wonder whether Roco would have found it hard to access the UK market in the same way as Bachmann, Heljan and Peco have done. All of these are well known here, especially to 00 standard gauge modellers who can then be attracted into 009 by the availability of new items (the market of people already modelling in 009 who were doing so prior to the current RTR stuff is probably still too small on its own). On the other hand, Roco is relatively unknown in the UK, outside of those of us who model in 009 and use some of their H0e equipment, and those who model overseas prototypes. I'd also be interested to know whether Roco has the same coverage in terms of retailers stocking their items as UK manufacturers do (I suspect not but I could be wrong). There was also concern from some people (unfounded but again relating to Roco's Continental items and the lack of 4mm NG RTR at the time) that the Roco Fairlie might end up being 3.5mm scale, rather than "proper" 009.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Edge said:

Anyone got an inkling on the date these will be in shops? I have a Merddin Emrys with my name on it and I’m just curious as to when Kernow will be able to send it out to me

Have a look at this post (which says Nov/Dec):

@Paul.Uni regularly updates us on the latest planned dates in a concise manner :good:

Roy  

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Edge said:

Anyone got an inkling on the date these will be in shops? I have a Merddin Emrys with my name on it and I’m just curious as to when Kernow will be able to send it out to me

In the video on the 3rd November when Bachmann announced the new Double Fairlie models, at approx. 24 minutes they say they should be in the shops 'in a couple of weeks' - so before the end of November hopefully

• Agree 2

ARCADIA MODELS  received  stock today  and  Tim says  he  has plenty of  stock of  all 6  retail variants  minus the  2  that  are in the  post  to  me!:D

Always  best  to  telephone  for  a  fast  response  01706 882900  (Closed Tuesday)

The  locos  show  in Arcadiarail website  in  NEW ARRIVALS   section

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 1

My 2   Fairlies  arrived  from  Arcadia Models  this  morning  they  are  superb  a  real credit  to  Bachmann Europe    Brilliant  sound!  and  running  quality.

A couple of  bits of info   as  delivered  the  decoders are  set  to 128 speed  steps

I also tested on a small Kato Unitrack test track I have  here currently  and  they will traverse less than 9" radius curves   183mm (7.1/4" approx) was no problem

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Stevelewis said:

they will traverse less than 9" radius curves   183mm (7.1/4" approx) was no problem

I believe they'll go down to 6.5" which is less than that quoted as a minimum.

• Informative/Useful 3

Maximum permitted yaw angle on the bogies is 4.25 degrees. Any sharper than that, the backs of the wheels will rub on the carrier frame, and the exhaust ball joint section will be damaged as it runs out of travel in the Inca Temple. Hence why you won't see a (working) double engine in Minffordd Yard or Glan-y-Pwll - they don't fit.

So the minimum radius ought to be about 500mm in 009; it varies slightly between the locos as they are (in reality) slightly different lengths).

• Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

Thanks Paul. Hmm yes. Still pretty jarring (for me anyway). Oh well, save the cash for the Hunslets! :D

It wouldn't be a Bachmann product without a gap somewhere :D

I think you should try and see one in the flesh and then see if it still jars, it's a lovely looking model and I would expect it to be streets away from the Kato model if it ever surfaces to buy now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I have one on order and the gap isn’t going to bother me. Considering the models are going to be much smaller than the photos on this thread appear,  and the angle at which i’ll be viewing it, I don’t think it will be too visible. If the track on my proposed model is flat enough then it would be a simple job to add a couple of bits of black plastic. The gap on the real Fairlies is a bit less - this is the best shot i can find, a still from a video 

3704E82D-8E59-47F0-B404-A573CFF977C9.jpeg.491f6b184681d71aeda6bc79c6f8c8c8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1