Bachmann 009 Double Fairlie

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

Thanks Paul. Hmm yes. Still pretty jarring (for me anyway). Oh well, save the cash for the Hunslets! :D

It’s there for the bogie movement and while they could add a hole and flat vertical to block it, a bit of folded black paper would do the same job if it jars and not restrict the ability to negotiate dodgy gradient transitions. 
You really have to get below footplate level to see it so it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Bob2407 said:

I hope Bachmann considers making a single fairlie in the future!

I would love that too, but there has only ever been 1 1/2 of them, the original Taliesin and the new build.

Ok, there have been a few liveries and variations (cab etc.) but how many people would want two Taliesins?

Whether that is enough for Bachmann to consider it viable I don’t know. 

Roy

Taliesin has changed shape 3 or 4 times over the years, so there are several possible eras to model. The present loco has only a couple of original parts, and one of those later turned out to be from Moel Tryfan!

Speaking of which, the NWNGR pair might be a better option, though the power bogie would need re-engineering with more wheels. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Well it was worth the wait, all three weeks :lol:

17BA8106-841C-4EA0-8060-8AFADBBA34D2.jpeg.93a0198e760f8cc430b22ca3ccf8adf9.jpeg

As they say READ THE INSTRUCTIONS though as it has an active brake function running on DCC so it won’t stop quickly unless you use it ;)

4611E6C5-1D21-485E-91A4-D06080EAC815.jpeg.a0ede661e2c707c8deda633ed4da629e.jpeg

The Bachmann Baldwins with Zimo sound decoders have the same function. Very realistic it is too.

Oh and by the way where is my loco already?

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, CotBob said:

The Bachmann Baldwins with Zimo sound decoders have the same function. Very realistic it is too.

Oh and by the way where is my loco already?

Yes as do most of Paul C’s latest files so I suspect his handiwork is involved ;) 

Looks like shops received theirs on Friday so there should be a flood this week. The club one just arrived unannounced :)

639C6BDD-9934-4AC5-AF3A-844FF79F06C2.jpeg.c0ad2042e10eaba3100b7cc630008bbf.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I can hardly even describe the quality of these tiny models, the delicacy of all the parts particularly the hand rails, and cab fittings, the steam manifold on top of the boilers, even the drain cocks on the cylinders, well the whole thing. Somehow the enlarged photographs manage to make it look ordinary next to the real thing. In the hand it looks so much better than the images can portay.

20211124_142935.jpg

20211124_143314.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oh no, I really think I want one!

How long do you think I've got to prevaricate, before I find that I'm too late and everyone has sold out?

Sadly I don't know, give it a week or two, and they may be hard to find. I have no idea what stock allocation was like.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oh no, I really think I want one!

How long do you think I've got to prevaricate, before I find that I'm too late and everyone has sold out?

I suspect the smaller shops will have them for a few weeks yet but may involve a bit of ringing round. My other local hadn’t got his yet on Tuesday morning but was expecting them. 

Sizing mine up for MGR traffic . . .

CCE85449-2515-4D8D-A5E2-4F78120FDCDB.jpeg.6998855ab1e73fb2e1babeb2bd6a116d.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

When are Bachmann going to release a square green one?

Keep your eyes open for an interview in our Virtual Show next weekend which may give further clues for consideration.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

I've given in and ordered Merddin. Gap will need to be rectified but I think I can do it. I do have rather intimate knowledge of this part of a Fairlie having worked on Taliesin's a long time ago and been in that gap removing a cracked blast pipe from DLG, and am slowly working on a 16mm James Spooner. 

• Like 2

I keep looking at these on various sites as despite not having anywhere to run one I really like the Ffestiniog and I'm very very tempted. What I'm hoping for is another run of other variants in the future as I really cannot afford one right now.

3 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

I keep looking at these on various sites as despite not having anywhere to run one I really like the Ffestiniog and I'm very very tempted. What I'm hoping for is another run of other variants in the future as I really cannot afford one right now.

I suspect you'll be in luck, the instruction sheet features side-on line drawings of three of the locos in the release, and Merddin in full cab mode, so I'd expect a maroon version of ME at the very least. I get why they wouldn't have that in three initial tranche of releases, duplicate name and livery (with LT) 

There's also the option to do Taliesin, as LT was until he became EoM, a green ME, though I suspect the tooling required for ME when first returned to traffic would be a bit much to expect. There's also the possibility of James Spooner when that emerges from BLodge in due course, again if the tooling option is there. DLG could eventually appear in full tomato soup colours as he was a few years ago.

I'm sure there are several other options that Bachmann have taken into account, so we should see a couple of additional options down the line, though I'd be very surprised (and delighted) if the Square was to appear. Again I think that would be a stretch for the tooling suite!

Cheers

J

20 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Back in February 2018 we used a double engine on ballast trains with the big bogie ballast hoppers (South African and Romanian).

Most of the diesels were broken, hence the use of steam on works trains for a few weeks.

image1(4).jpeg.e28be82697c390a829803dd7784662fc.jpeg

image1(3).jpeg.8144fa12df2d7de3bd1c19949262ed39.jpeg

image1(5).jpeg.97ce89c303269e8c197224d08ff4eaa8.jpeg

When are Bachmann going to release a square green one?

Looking at the item reference numbers we're missing 391-101 I wonder if there's a special coming from the railway like the EFE W24 from the Isle of Wight. It's the 100th anniversary of the Welsh highland next year so I could see either the square Earl or Merddin Emrys in its as now condition and livery (a clear absentee in this batch in my opinion) coming from the railway as a limited edition to mark the anniversary. (Although a Moel Tryfaen would be nice!)

Just had my first 2 of these delivered, exquisite models!

Edited by Karl
Spelling correction

Remember that the Hunslet boilers on the present Melvin and Square are longer than the originals, so the whole locos (including the wheelbase) are a couple of feet longer. 

Although Melvin has a traditional outline, it is a bit bigger all round than the original, and the proportions are slightly different. 

DLG is closer to the original length but Is otherwise scaled up like Melvin so it looks a different shape. 

Surely the Square is a design icon in both its forms!

We’ll have to wait and see how Jam Spoon II turns out. The original of that was dimensionally different too. 

Then there’s the option of a ‘Mighty Max’ for the kids. 

Mol

• Like 3