Bachmann 009 Double Fairlie

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

image1(5).jpeg.97ce89c303269e8c197224d08ff4eaa8.jpeg

in this photo you can see the low sun reflecting off the ball of the exhaust ball joint that is actually in that gap. 

Also the correct profile of the cylinder cladding and the front end of the frames. 

Hmm, I think you need to take her apart and sort that gap out then ;)

Only kidding @Quarryscapes , I will be interested to see how yours looks after, although I don't think I will be doing anything with mine.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, Edge said:

The locos look okay next to the L&B stock 

A8-B64-C14-46-B3-48-D6-AD42-23079-DC3-AB

The above is actually a prototypical train - I have been pulled by Merddin Emrys whilst sitting in former L&B coach 14 (aka the Snapper Bar), so there is precedent for the combination of a double Fairlie and an L&B coach (albeit that the peco model is rather inaccurate for the Snapper Bar) . If you’re happy with impressions then they work fine, but if you are eager for prototypical accuracy then the Peco ‘bug boxes’ and ‘bowsiders’ that are on their way out presently are a much better fit.

in terms of the EoM you have on the way, the Peco green bug boxes are an immediately available option for something prototypical. That model represents the loco in early preservation days, so basically any green FR carriage will look right-ish behind it :)

How do we put coaches BEHIND this loco? :D;)

• Funny 2

4 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

How do we put coaches BEHIND this loco? :D;)

Back in the days when when we did Thomas events, DLG had two faces. One was happy, the other sad. We called it ‘David the two-faced engine’. 

The reason we use Garratts on the WHR is that we used up all the front ends on the Fairlies and we had to bodge something together from all the left over back-ends in the bits box.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

One end done, excuse poor quality phone pics, it's getting a bit dark in here, so I shall do the other end tomorrow. 

In my humble opinion, a worthwhile little modification. 

IMG_20211201_180034.jpg

IMG_20211201_175947.jpg

IMG_20211201_173702.jpg

IMG_20211201_173315.jpg

IMG_20211201_173310.jpg

Do you have any changes in elevation on your layout? I am not sure that would cope with the change in incline on my layout.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

One end done, excuse poor quality phone pics, it's getting a bit dark in here, so I shall do the other end tomorrow. 

In my humble opinion, a worthwhile little modification. 

IMG_20211201_180034.jpg

IMG_20211201_175947.jpg

IMG_20211201_173702.jpg

IMG_20211201_173315.jpg

IMG_20211201_173310.jpg

How does it cope with gradient transitions under load? Won’t it lift the inner wheels off the track slightly going onto a rising gradient? 

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

How does it cope with gradient transitions under load? Won’t it lift the inner wheels off the track slightly going onto a rising gradient? 

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Do you have any changes in elevation on your layout? I am not sure that would cope with the change in incline on my layout.

Roy

It's perfectly capable of climbing a realistic gradient as modified. 

I haven't had a layout in 20 years. I bought it because I like the prototype. (I'll be building a 16mm scale version too once I've finished James Spooner)

• Like 2

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

It's perfectly capable of climbing a realistic gradient as modified. 

Both asked how it copes with the transition, not the incline itself but it does not sound like you have the scenario to test that. 

The product was designed to cope with what it is likely to encounter in the real world; and that's from the horse's mouth. You have been criticising something which was designed to be fit for purpose and not just an attractive ornament. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes it looks good but I wondered if there was room for it to move up on a transition of grade into the footplate? It’s fine if the layout is flat or has very gradual grades but I was interested in if it restricted the haulage on a typical transition because it limited the up and down movement. If it is able to rise up it might be worth pursuing over the folded paper flap idea I had. 
I don’t have an issue with such compromises for a reason. On my Harz layout I removed the traction tyres because it was all flat and accepted the compromised ultimate power, it was good enough for my purposes, because there were more important pickup issues as designed on the Tillig 2-10-2’s. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ramrig's photos above show that the gap won't normally be noticeable when running on a layout. If it's just going to sit on a shelf it could be more of an issue, one of those things that cannot be 'unseen'.

• RMweb Premium

My EoM arrived safely yesterday. She’s  a lovely little thing but unfortunately I haven’t had chance to get her out of the box for a run yet. 

Seeing others’ models posed on layouts and dioramas does make me somewhat envious. I’ve got a few ideas for plans knocking around but I wasn’t really planning a ‘narrow gauge adventure’ until this was announced!

It seems from the feedback I’ve seen (here and elsewhere online) that the model has been very well received and may have tempted modellers who haven’t previously ventured into 009 into making a purchase. Is there anyone on here who’s closer to the trade/retail side of the hobby who could qualify that and confirm whether the model is a ‘hit’ so far? I certainly hope so!

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrTea said:

My EoM arrived safely yesterday. She’s  a lovely little thing but unfortunately I haven’t had chance to get her out of the box for a run yet. 

Seeing others’ models posed on layouts and dioramas does make me somewhat envious. I’ve got a few ideas for plans knocking around but I wasn’t really planning a ‘narrow gauge adventure’ until this was announced!

It seems from the feedback I’ve seen (here and elsewhere online) that the model has been very well received and may have tempted modellers who haven’t previously ventured into 009 into making a purchase. Is there anyone on here who’s closer to the trade/retail side of the hobby who could qualify that and confirm whether the model is a ‘hit’ so far? I certainly hope so!

It was selling fast from Bachmann according to a rep but I don’t know if it’s sold out with them yet. Certainly the couple of shops I know well said it went well, especially the sound ones. 
I think it’s safe to assume another batch will be following next year. The Peco bowsider coaches are a few months away so still time to spend your Xmas pennies on some smaller Peco bug boxes ;) 

• Agree 1

On 30/11/2021 at 20:50, MrTea said:

Lovely pictures. Thanks for posting!

Can I ask how well the loco sits alongside the Peco L&B coaches? I’m aware that FR stock is built to a smaller loading gauge than some other lines, the L&B included. 

My finger ‘slipped’ whilst browsing the internet over the weekend :D and now I have a sound fitted EoM on the way - I’m just wondering what people would recommend to run with the new models?

Thank you! Agree with what others have said, all I would add is that I've found it a little tricky to attach the L&B coaches to the coupling of the Double Fairlie...it's not to bad just a little stiff. Maybe there some Bachmann couplings you can get to replace the Peco ones if it's a problem for you.

• Informative/Useful 1

With my failing eyesight and the small size of the model, I don't notice the gap. But I am very glad it functions on everything I have thrown at it. I was worried at first it would be limited in its capabilities like the Heljan MW but no, it is perfectly fine. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, drt7uk said:

I've found it a little tricky to attach the L&B coaches to the coupling of the Double Fairlie.

Pop out the Bachmann coupling and file a bit off the back of the hook, it’s a little chunky and the Peco loop isn’t quite big enough to drop over it without help. I take about ½ mm off the inside face and a tiny bit less off the top with a file and they drop over much better. 
Take it off with a couple of passes and pop it in and try coupling a peco vehicle. It doesn’t need much off. 
F6F1BEE8-2781-434B-A16E-35CFD2D952E8.jpeg.5783fd60ce1175c322cf64ede2ca5e83.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 5

Done - a very nice improvement in appearance. Now to decide if I'm going to deal with the incorrect bottom end "splasher" under the boiler or not. It all hinges on how well I can match the paint. Alternatively if someone wants to swap me their uphill end with the sand pots that could also work, and I could supply them with 3D printed cylindrical sand pots to match. 

IMG_20211202_125913[1].jpg

IMG_20211202_125957[1].jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

You mean the curved part behind the smokebox. I think thats there on the real thing. Just normally it's hidden behind the longer tanks they have now.

It is there, but not quite the shape modelled, but on most versions it doesn't really show.

Roy

3 hours ago, CrossCountryLine said:

The motor is a little noisy though, is this something anyone else has experienced?

Yes, mine was a bit noisy. It says a smoothed DC output is required in the instructions. I put it down to using a H & M 2000 controller which I don't think is. I'm sure someone who knows about these things will confirm it. I plan to DCC chip it, so was assuming it would be quieter.