Bachmann 009 Double Fairlie

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 02/12/2021 at 09:24, PaulRhB said:

It was selling fast from Bachmann according to a rep but I don’t know if it’s sold out with them yet. Certainly the couple of shops I know well said it went well, especially the sound ones. 
I think it’s safe to assume another batch will be following next year.

I still really want one but really, really don't need one.

I can see that I am going to have to prevaricate a bit longer, before I can look myself in the eye and tell myself in all truth, 'well I did try to get one, but they had run out'.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I still really want one but really, really don't need one.

I can see that I am going to have to prevaricate a bit longer, before I can look myself in the eye and tell myself in all truth, 'well I did try to get one, but they had run out'.

You are going to have to write one of your delightful calligraphic missives to oneself and place it on the infernalnet device so you’re not weakened with firewater in one’s hand ;) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oh, I rather like the pretty red one.

Get It Bought!

I’m just very glad they are entirely the wrong scale for my modelling interests, and that I have the real ones to play with. Otherwise Temptation would be getting the better of me too. 

Mol

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I tried, and had to modify a ModelU 3D scan of myself to fit into the cab of the Dave, but there really isn't a lot of space. Some of this is down to the sidesheets being too thick (a result of them being plastic) which cuts down the available space.

I took some measurements and did some calculations and reckon that HO scale crew may well be the order of the day, so have duly ordered some from ModelU and shall report back when they arrive.

For now though, here's a 4mm scale 'me' wedged into a Fairlie small space (sorry, couldn't resist!) For reference, I am in reality 5'9" tall, and the figure is pretty much spot of for scale.

557119310_IMG_20211125_2106392.jpg.5d36fef835b2843514baf7491f830de5.jpg

IMG_20211125_210956.jpg.329ddd9b5a71159b40b3f1230f808621.jpg

I fitx but think I would struggle through the tunnels!

Hope this helps

Cheers

J

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

15 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

A pretty realistic pose for a hot day though! Another little servo needed to make the driver lean in at the appropriate moment...

Not sure I fancy the idea of where it would have to be installed though! I don't believe in Voodoo, but don't want to take the risk!

Cheers

J

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Servo movement asside, would be brilliant if ModelU could do bespoke crew for these. :D

I believe that your wish may well be granted.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

A pretty realistic pose for a hot day though! Another little servo needed to make the driver lean in at the appropriate moment...

I think the servo would need to be able to rotate the upper torso of the footplate crew 180 degrees to face the "front" Well for 50% of the time anyway !!! Having a footplate looking backwards while the train is going "front"wards would look silly 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I think the servo would need to be able to rotate the upper torso of the footplate crew 180 degrees to face the "front" Well for 50% of the time anyway !!! Having a footplate looking backwards while the train is going "front"wards would look silly 

Although no worse than diesels running with crew in the back cab - in part why I am not yet sold on fitting crew. At least with steam, a driver will regularly check back along the train and a fireman look downwards to check the injectors are running clean. 

Roy

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Although no worse than diesels running with crew in the back cab - in part why I am not yet sold on fitting crew. At least with steam, a driver will regularly check back along the train and a fireman look downwards to check the injectors are running clean. 

Roy

Yes Roy. A footplateman looking straight out at 90 degrees would be the most useful. They could be admiring the view or talking to someone on the platform in a station.  I guess it is because the fairlie cab is really quite exposed, and that dirty great bright red reverser handle is so visible !!!  

In practice it’s more normal to face inwards. Unless you particularly hate your fireman it’s a bit rude to turn your back on him! (The boiler is already a very solid equivalent of the oft-quoted chalk line on a normal footplate). 

Just turning the driver’s head in the direction of travel would be fine, though you could program the DCC for an odd glance back down the train. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

In practice it’s more normal to face inwards. Unless you particularly hate your fireman it’s a bit rude to turn your back on him! (The boiler is already a very solid equivalent of the oft-quoted chalk line on a normal footplate). 

Just turning the driver’s head in the direction of travel would be fine, though you could program the DCC for an odd glance back down the train. 

I occasionally used to have one driver who was always getting in the way. He was forever playing around with things such as the injectors for no apparent reason when that was my job. Another problem was him constantly closing the firehole door when you were using it!

I suppose it was his engine though....

But driver on one side and fireman on the other? Result!

Jason

• Like 2

Steamport Southport, isn't that what the shovel is for?  "fixing" drivers who won't leave good enough alone?  Though I've heard from dad that the reverse was true on the waggon- Murray would apparently threaten him with the shovel every time the safety valve would lift on OF !  (along with words to the effect that dad was costing him the earth, moon, and sun in extra coal...)

It's easier on a model, in that I'm both driver and fireman...so there is no-one else to blame but me.   Same at work- but I'm burning NG here :)

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I occasionally used to have one driver who was always getting in the way. He was forever playing around with things such as the injectors for no apparent reason when that was my job. Another problem was him constantly closing the firehole door when you were using it!

I suppose it was his engine though....

But driver on one side and fireman on the other? Result!

Jason

If your driver and fireman are so hostile towards one another, you'd best stick to Push-Pull working. 

Turn the loco and the driving trailer on the turntable and always propel!

10 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

A suggestion: there should be mirror-image versions available too, for those who want their loco going the other way... 

You can specify that when ordering with ModelU, there should be a drop-down menu on the relevant page for the figures.

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, JaymzHatstand said:

You can specify that when ordering with ModelU, there should be a drop-down menu on the relevant page for the figures.

Cheers

J

I agree that is often true, but in this case there does not seem to be that option.

Roy

44 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I agree that is often true, but in this case there does not seem to be that option.

Roy

Sorry, I hadn't looked, just going on past experiences. I'm pretty sure if you left a note in the 'other comments' or whatever it is section of the order form, or contacted Alan directly (there's an option for that on the site) it could be done without hassle.

Cheers

J