Bachmann 009 Double Fairlie

AY Mod

DLG turned up the other say from Bachmann, package had 2 wrong address labels on it. Turns out FedEx decided my house number was 10 instead of 130 so took them a few attempts. 

IMG_20211210_093325.jpg.409722af2916da907afa121747d9f840.jpg

Most of my 009 stock is L&B so it surprised me how small it is. Its a stunning model though. 

Had a quick run last night but shows up my track needed a good clean so one for another day. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

One thing I forgot to add which surprised me is I put mine onto my OO9 layout without any track cleaning and which has sat in my conservatory for a couple of months. The loco ran faultlessly, unlike my other OO9 locos which traditionally sulk somewhat until I clean the track. 

Edited by Jenny Emily
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

This is definitely one of my favourite models of the year. I also like that it was announced then arrived within a matter of weeks. 

I enjoyed the review. Not a loco I’d normally consider - but after your video and the Hornby Magazine layout build with the Fairlie I am tempted.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2021 at 13:14, Stevelewis said:

My 2   Fairlies  arrived  from  Arcadia Models  this  morning  they  are  superb  a  real credit  to  Bachmann Europe    Brilliant  sound!  and  running  quality.

A couple of  bits of info   as  delivered  the  decoders are  set  to 128 speed  steps

I also tested on a small Kato Unitrack test track I have  here currently  and  they will traverse less than 9" radius curves   183mm (7.1/4" approx) was no problem

Thank you - I was looking for that bit of info, now all that's stopping me is my wallet ;)

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rynd2it said:

Hi,

Which sound chip is fitted to this loco?

It’s the factory fitted one which I believe is Zimo by Paul Chetter. Paul will be doing a separate slightly different one individually to fit via EDM models soon. 

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • RMweb Gold
On 06/12/2021 at 00:37, PaulRhB said:

Well there’s space, which crew will fit it is another matter ;)

I’ve ordered a whitemetal crew from Pete Goss’ range to try that. On the Baldwins adding a whitemetal crew was a useful way to add a little weight. 
I’ll report back once they are here and I’ve seen if they will fit these, if not they go in some OO locos :) 

https://petegossrailwaymodelling.bigcartel.com/products

Well the figures arrived fast from Pete but without carving most of them away, which defeats the weight idea, they are too big. So those have gone in the OO Pecketts and I’ll keep looking as I want an either way appropriate crew so I think standing sideways will suit me better than hanging out. 

Another shorty clip of the sound pickup from start and on load response. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2021 at 08:43, PaulRhB said:

A trip on Tim Couling’s Clyre Valley

Excellent clip Paul. Thanks for posting. 

Is that the with the Fairlie running on DC? I have a feeling Tim’s layout is DC powered if I remember the RM article right. If so, the way the sounds work is all the more impressive. You get the coasting effect when rolling into stations and you can hear the ‘bark’ from the chimneys when the controller is cranked up. 

Is the Baldwin geared in a similar way so they run at a comparable speed?

I was fortunate enough to see the Clyre Valley layout in the flesh at the Alton exhibition in Feb 2019 - I’ve definitely got layout envy after seeing it on your clip!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Is that the with the Fairlie running on DC? I have a feeling Tim’s layout is DC powered if I remember the RM article right. If so, the way the sounds work is all the more impressive. You get the coasting effect when rolling into stations and you can hear the ‘bark’ from the chimneys when the controller is cranked up. 

Yes Tim’s layout is DC and we were equally impressed with the response on dc although you do have to be very gentle with the controller as the full speed range is in about 1/4 of the control dial due to powering up the sound. He does have one DCC loco for our modular setup and we could just hook up a DCC controller. 

Is the Baldwin geared in a similar way so they run at a comparable speed?

Yes they ran almost identically although the Fairlie was fractionally slower accelerating they maintained an equal distance at a set speed. All of Tim’s locos used on the banked trains have Bachmann N gauge chassis because they are so well speed matched. 

I was fortunate enough to see the Clyre Valley layout in the flesh at the Alton exhibition in Feb 2019 - I’ve definitely got layout envy after seeing it on your clip!

I missed helping there due to the snow! I couldn’t get the car out of Salisbury ;) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/12/2021 at 15:05, PaulRhB said:

It’s the factory fitted one which I believe is Zimo by Paul Chetter. Paul will be doing a separate slightly different one individually to fit via EDM models soon. 

Having being given a non-sound Merddin Emrys for Christmas by my good lady, I am looking forward to this sound being available. Then it can chug around with my sound fitted Livingston Thompson and make me very happy!

Roy 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

FYI this is what the ModelU Fairlie crew (pack 2) looks like in the flesh if anyone is tempted to order:

753A83AF-99E5-4E30-8A4A-2C962EA939FA.jpeg.b931edc46a4dce78c96e9afa7336d0ff.jpeg

This is my first ever 3D printed purchase so it will be interesting to see how the support filaments come away and how well I can get these painted up. They look to be lovely crisp figures. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2022 at 17:23, MrTea said:

FYI this is what the ModelU Fairlie crew (pack 2) looks like in the flesh if anyone is tempted to order:

753A83AF-99E5-4E30-8A4A-2C962EA939FA.jpeg.b931edc46a4dce78c96e9afa7336d0ff.jpeg

This is my first ever 3D printed purchase so it will be interesting to see how the support filaments come away and how well I can get these painted up. They look to be lovely crisp figures. 

The supports come off very easily, I have a pair too. Not even thought about paint yet. Notice how they both lean to the left, makes fitting the fireman in place harder than you expect.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2022 at 11:44, CotBob said:

The supports come off very easily, I have a pair too. Not even thought about paint yet. Notice how they both lean to the left, makes fitting the fireman in place harder than you expect.

As long as you model Cei Mawr, the fireman can be looking back along the train for the Guard's wave!

• Like 2