Graham Farish 2021 Winter announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 17/11/2021 at 15:52, Kris said:

I suspect that only a small percentage of N gauge modellers care about sound.

Based on our sales it definitely isn’t a small percentage - it varies by model but typically 30-40% of our sales are sound fitted. That is a significant percentage. 

cheers Mike

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, Revolution Mike said:

Based on our sales it definitely isn’t a small percentage - it varies by model but typically 30-40% of our sales are sound fitted. That is a significant percentage. 

cheers Mike

And the difficulty adding sound to some Farish locos would have discouraged others who wanted sound (like me).

I'd been modelling in N for years, wanting to try DCC but being put off by my perception of poor eyesight and being able to successfully hardwire a chip to earlier Dapol and Bachmann models, that all changed with Next 18 and easy sound fitting (the 50) or speaker fitted (the 40s and 31).  Before I knew it I had sold my older models off to pay for the chips for all my DCC 6 pin diesels to work alongside the very new Farish and Dapol stuff with sound.

I imagine there are a few OO modellers who might have restricted space now looking at N and thinking they can get the sound/DCC they have in OO and be able to run longer trains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Revolution Mike said:

cheers Mike

What percentage of these were desiesls etc.

1 hour ago, Bomag said:

What percentage of these were desiesls etc.   

Might be a misleading figure given that Revolution in N have only released one steam loco which was not offered sound fitted, and their first two diesels (Class 128 and Class 59) are at the order book stage. Everything else is electric.

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

Might be a misleading figure given that Revolution in N have only released one steam loco which was not offered sound fitted, and their first two diesels (Class 128 and Class 59) are at the order book stage. Everything else is electric.

The steam loco was a Sonic offering and was not offered with sound (totally understandably given its size).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

cheers Mike

That is a far higher percentage that I would have expected.

2 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

That is saying something though if 40 odd percent want sound in an electric, which are not exactly renowned for their noise.

Scott

2 hours ago, Scott B said:

That is saying something though if 40 odd percent want sound in an electric, which are not exactly renowned for their noise.

Scott

Yep, whoosh, hummm, perhaps ;-)

But I'm waiting for a 2EPB with the sound of slamming doors. ;-)

• Like 2

Those Revolution figures on sound are interesting.  My local model shop, the wonderful Great Eastern Models, recently told me that over 50% of their loco / mu sales are sound fitted (either factory fitted or subsequently added) these days.  This is mostly 00 gauge of course, but sound equipped n gauge models (on the rare occasions they get any new models to sell of course) fly off their mostly bare n gauge shelves.

I haven't dipped a toe in the sound fitted world yet, but I am tempted by the forthcoming 5MT and, @grahame, would queue for months in the snow for a sound fitted 2EPB.  

Mark 

Edited by msw2009

16 hours ago, msw2009 said:

Those Revolution figures on sound are interesting.  My local model shop, the wonderful Great Eastern Models, recently told me that over 50% of their loco / mu sales are sound fitted (either factory fitted or subsequently added) these days.  This is mostly 00 gauge of course, but sound equipped n gauge models (on the rare occasions they get any new models to sell of course) fly off their mostly bare n gauge shelves.

I haven't dipped a toe in the sound fitted world yet, but I am tempted by the forthcoming 5MT and, @grahame, would queue for months in the snow for a sound fitted 2EPB.  

Mark 

I have a sound 8F, 40, 31 and Dapol 68 used on DC. Only the 31 was a discretionary purchase in that I could buy the same model with or without sound. Steam sound is underwhelming, sound on a EE powered loco would is a deffo goer but probably not on a Sulzer.  In the end I would rather go for 3 DC locos for the same price as 2 Sound.  

• RMweb Gold

I'm quite surprised about the sound fitted figures. I have a few sound fitted N gauge models (8F, 40, 68, 92, Castle) and I'm honestly not that convinced by them. The 8F and 40 are probably the best (8F is factory, 40 is from Digitrains).

I've actually been putting serious thought into switching them all to non sound.

• RMweb Premium
On 22/11/2021 at 19:31, Scott B said:

Scott

Modern electric stock has some very distinctive noises, especially during acceleration and deceleration. Then there are the door open and close pings and chimes.

With some coaching stock being fitted with controllable lights, the next step will be Mk 3s with sound, just so you can get that characteristic air suspension noise as they pass by. Then we can fit freight stock with speakers too, with an array of brake and flange squealing effects, and several levels of wheel-flats. You'll just need even deeper pockets to afford it all......

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Captain Electra said:

Let me know when they do a model Mk3 coach that emits that brake-block smell when pulling into a station.

Joking aside, that is probably doable. Just seen on C5 the vials of scents that they use on HMS Belfast to recreate the atmosphere of a working warship....

An exhibition manager would probably have kittens if you turned up with a hot air paint stripper gun and a load of brake pad filings, which would be another and probably cheaper way of recreating the smell.

Oh, and that option will be on the deluxe model, which also comes with opening doors and disembarking passengers, and will cost around the same as a loco. F12 sends a disgruntled member of station staff all the way down the platform to close the door the passengers have left open.....

• Funny 4

Roco actually did a DCC set with opening coach doors back in 2006 - cost about 800 Euros though! As for the toilet smell, just ask for your layout to be placed next to the gents at your next church hall exhibition... that's what usually happens to mine anyway!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/11/2021 at 20:43, Davexoc said:

Modern electric stock has some very distinctive noises, especially during acceleration and deceleration. Then there are the door open and close pings and chimes.

With some coaching stock being fitted with controllable lights, the next step will be Mk 3s with sound, just so you can get that characteristic air suspension noise as they pass by. Then we can fit freight stock with speakers too, with an array of brake and flange squealing effects, and several levels of wheel-flats. You'll just need even deeper pockets to afford it all......

I've often thought that a surround sound sort of system, that played loco, rolling stock and associated noises, plus back ground noise, that could be triggered as trains pass could be better than on-board sound....

• Like 3

On 22/11/2021 at 19:31, Scott B said:

Scott

Spent an afternoon on Stafford Station, the noisiest thing was a class-92

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I see that the British Industrial Sand class 03 is now featuring in the 'due soon' section of the Bachmann website, despite simultaneously having its due date changed from Jan/Feb to May/Jun! The other 03s and 04s are also pushed back to Apr/May. 

Edited by csiedmo
typo

27 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Just out of interest, why is the BIS 03 more expensive than the others being released at the same time?

Licensing?

Edit - Items due in April/May are cheaper than those due in June by 10 quid, I think it's a price rise.

Edited by woodenhead

11 minutes ago, Scott B said:

You might have been right first time with licensing as they were all due at the same time initially and the BIS one has always been a tenner dearer.

There is a similar difference between two 08s, one blue and one green - no licensing there.  I've a feeling a price increase has gone through.

Edit: I take it back, and go back to my first response licensing :lol:

The 08 variation is weathering causing the difference.

Edited by woodenhead