GWR P-way Huts : Door Colour and most suitable material for Roofing Felt?

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone 

I m currently building a Rail Model GWR P-way hut in 7mm. I am having a little difficulty in identifying the correct colour for the cabin door. Some photos  l ve seen (mostly models) show the door finished in Brown, whilst others show varying colours from Green to Black.  Does anyone know if these doors came under the GWR standard paint scheme, or was it a case of using what what handy at the time?

One other quick question, most of these types of structure were finished with a Felt type  roof, can anyone recommend a suitable covering to represent Felt in 7mm scale please?

Many thanks in advance

Bob C

IMG_20211103_125935[1].jpg

Edited by Blobrick
attached photo

• Blobrick changed the title to GWR P-way Huts : Door Colour and most suitable material for Roofing Felt?

Door colour - interesting question. It is not good practice to follow what other modellers have done. I searched through my pictures, here are a couple taken in 1976 of a non restored example. Note that it looks like felt has been applied over the door.

850939029_Cranmore30-5-1976Praktica34-(20).jpg.00e1b80cdfddabf181f8c39cbf17a0ed.jpg

2045142270_Cranmore30-5-1976Praktica34-(19).jpg.d5a972aeed9251eac9d27cf1e857bc27.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, steve1 said:

Roofing felt - Plain toilet paper attached with flooded MEK (or similar) and painted dark grey/ black. Alternati, I have used black wet and dry abrasive paper.

steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for that, l had wondered about using fine wet & dry. Its an option if l can workout how to fold it over crisply at the corners

Cheers

Bob C

• RMweb Premium

As far as I know, p way nuts were painted in creosote, which may show brown or black.. just like granddad's sheds.... Who was a ganger.... :)

You can see from the above photo from Tim, that they felted that door.. I suspect that shed had the felt / outer battens were well soaked in creosote..

Edited by TheQ

16 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Hi Steve

Thanks for that, l had wondered about using fine wet & dry. Its an option if l can workout how to fold it over crisply at the corners

Cheers

Bob C

Please don't use wet and dry no matter how fine a grade,roofing felt is far to fine for the lumps to scale down enough whilst i haven't tried it the toilet paper but to me this sounds like a better bet to repasent roofing FELT !

notice it's called roofing felt not roofing gravel

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tim V said:

Door colour - interesting question. It is not good practice to follow what other modellers have done. I searched through my pictures, here are a couple taken in 1976 of a non restored example. Note that it looks like felt has been applied over the door.

850939029_Cranmore30-5-1976Praktica34-(20).jpg.00e1b80cdfddabf181f8c39cbf17a0ed.jpg

2045142270_Cranmore30-5-1976Praktica34-(19).jpg.d5a972aeed9251eac9d27cf1e857bc27.jpg

Hi Tim

Thanks for attaching the above images. Yet more variation on a theme. The door on the kit l m building has a planked door, so a little more work required if that's a look l want. I suppose it would sort out my colour issue though !

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, TheQ said:

As far as I know, p way nuts were painted in creosote, which may show brown or black.. just like granddad's sheds.... Who was a ganger.... :)

You can see from the above photo from Tim, that they felted that door.. I suspect that shed had the felt / outer battens were well soaked in creosote..

Judging by their outside appearance the ones built from timber were treated with tar/bitumen because they were far too back to have been done with creosote. (in fact to get a black finish with creosoyete you need to mix it with tar based substance.  as the GWr used tar/bitumen on some of its metal fencing it woulkdn't have been unusual to use the same stuff on the older style of timber huts.

The sectional Cathays (where they were made) huts were originally delivered in wood preserver but most seem to have ended up being painted but they were of course 'children of a much later generation'.  

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Maybe, but I still wouldn't use it to wipe my posterior.

On that note, the rough side of that greaseproof stuff we* had at school might work as a felt roof. Or preparing a surface for that matter.

*I'm assuming there are no nippers reading.